T Nation

Cottage Cheese Tastes Like Sh@T!!

Anyone got some suggestions on how to make cottage cheese taste better. I hate it, but I am trying to learn to get this stuff down.

It takes a while. you’ll probably get a ton of responses to this. I eat it everyday. to make it palatable, I get canned pineapplein its own juice (you can buy it in bulk at costco) and low fat cinnimon grahams and throw in 1 crumbled cracker.
To me I noticed that it tasted like cheese cake. I started with lots of fruit and crackers in it. I have built up a taste for it and now dont need too many ‘extras’

I mix mine with flavored fat free yogurt to make it more palatable.

I add sunflower seeds.

BostonBarrister’s Portable Breakfast:

1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1/2 cup non-fat cottage cheese
1 scoop vanilla Grow! (Low-Carb or Classic)
2/3 cup of blueberries or mixed berries (frozen is fine)
1/4 cup oat-bran or pressed oats
Cinnamon to taste

Directions: Mix the yogurt and cottage cheese together, then mix in the Grow! and berries. Sprinkle on the cinnamon and add the oat bran on top. This transports well in a Tupperware container. Just stir and eat!

HeavyweightRower’s Vanilla Pina Colada

2 scoops of vanilla Classic Grow!
coconut shavings
pineapple
low fat cottage cheese
ice cubes

Blend all ingredients together. Manipulate the amounts for taste and to suit your dietary goals. Serve during your next summer cookout along with some Jimmy Buffet classics.

dKURK:
Forgot my all time favorite, cottage cheese pancakes!

1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese, 1/2 cup oatmeal (not cooked), 2 whole eggs, cinamon, fruit optional (bannana, berries, etc.). Put in blender and pour like a regular pancake on hot skillet. Cook in advance and freeze. Great snack or quick breakfast. I’ll cheat on occasion and add a teaspoon of maple syrup.

BOTTOM line… Learn to love the stuff.

jaystyles

I actually like the taste so most of the time I eat it plain. You can put fruit with it, ie peaches or some unsweetened applesauce. I know there are some recipies out there mixing it with Grow! and other things in a blender but I haven’t tried any of those.

If you don’t like it, don’t eat it. There are plenty of other protein sources available.

Otherwise, if you choose to eat it you can mix it with fruit (pineapple is great) or even mix in some Low-Carb Grow!

Or, make a shake using it as one of the ingredients.

Add wheat germ or something else to help make it better.

I also tend to eat it straight out of the container, one pound at a time, every day.

Cottage cheese is the only “health food” I’ve tried that I couldn’t stomach. I can usually eat bland food till the cows come home, but there was something about the texture and taste that just made me want to vomit.

I’d prefer to eat raw eggs over cottage cheese. I suppose a few additives would have been a wiser choice.

Sometimes the low-fat c.c. can make a difference, (2.5 grams of F/1/2 cup). If still no go…I add Low-Carb Grow! Usually w/ a few mixed nuts and sometimes w/ a couple straberries smashed up in there. One way I just found that I like to use c.c. is to add it to “Powerful Puddin’” from T.C.'s recent “Assorted Bits of Wisdom” article.

Danny

I gotta agree with NateDogg, if you don’t like it dont eat it!! Stick with yogurt. THe consistency, smell and texture of CC makes me want to puke.

salsa

Try the Lactaid lowfat cottage cheese.
I eat about 3 lbs a day.

Why does everyone eat the low fat version of everything??

People even reccomend that when cutting!

Normal cottage cheese tastes way better than the low fat stuff, and it has less sugar too.

Also, don’t give up after trying one brand, they DO have different textures and there are some that believe it or not are actually quite nice.

I have tried one brand that made me want to puke though… so remember try afew and find a good one.

Tricep,

I think people are saying low-fat ‘cuz we are thinkin’ he has been using the FF kind. But I could be wrong on that.

Yeah, depending on his goals and his fat intake w/ the rest of the diet, “normal” c.c. may work.

Danny

Yeah you could be onto something there.

I am cutting now and I find the normal one suits my goals better.

less sugar…

[quote]Dboy wrote:
Tricep,

I think people are saying low-fat ‘cuz we are thinkin’ he has been using the FF kind. But I could be wrong on that.

Yeah, depending on his goals and his fat intake w/ the rest of the diet, “normal” c.c. may work.

Danny[/quote]

I tried fat free cottage cheese. I will try some of the suggestions posted. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I like yogurt, but I don’t think it has caesin, so I will try to learn to like cottage cheese.

[quote]basementD wrote:
Dboy wrote:
Tricep,

Danny

I tried fat free cottage cheese. I will try some of the suggestions posted. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I like yogurt, but I don’t think it has caesin, so I will try to learn to like cottage cheese. [/quote]

I was wrong, I tried low fat cottage cheese, I tried breakstone doubles which comes with a tiny bit of fruit.

The lowfat cottage cheese was horrible, so I can’t imagine how the fat free versiion must taste.

Seriously, the fat Free stuff, tastes like dog crap. Honestly, guys, the 2% cottage cheese tastes about 600% better than the no fat kind, and it only has 2.5 grams of fat per 1 cup of cc. Now if your worrying about 2.5 gs of fat then you have an issue right there. If your nit picking with 2.5 grams of saturated fat, your worrying too much about low fat.

My suggestion for this is to switch like other people said to 2% Cottage Cheese and give that a try. And yes it has less sugar. Don’t forget that a very popular way to make low fat products taste “the same” is to remove the fat and add a lot more sugar. You tell me which is going to be worse for you, the little bit of fat or the boat loads of highly refined and insulin friendly sugars? Same deal with flavoured yogurt. The cheap fat free stuff is sweetened with like 35 grams of sugar per cup…holy crap. If I wanted that, I would just slam a Coke!!!

If that still doesn’t work out for you then, try adding fruit is good. Also mixed with Nutz, Almonds especially.

Also if looking for a more zesty flavour, try cutting green onions into this and letting it sit for an hour. Open the container again and enjoy. The flavour is good?!!? Maybe its just my personal preference. Plus you are eating vegetables, which is good.

Depending upon what you mix your COttage cheese with, and what kind of a diet plan you subscribe to (Massive Eating myself) you don’t have to worry about the fat content so much if you mix the Cottage Cheese with your fat sources anyways. For instance, I usually eat a cup and half of cottage cheese with 3 scoops of natural peanut butter before hitting the sack. Mixed in with some Fish oil caps and I’m set.

I believe the macro breakdown is somewhere in the neighborhood of 430 cals being broken into these macros:

Protein: 37grams 22.5 casein and the rest from Peanuts…
Fat: 25grams 3 saturated and the rest pretty evenly split between mono and poly, according to memeory from the label on the PB.
Carbs: 14 grams

Thats close enough for me to adhere to the massive eating guidelines. And a tasty way for me to fit in my cottage cheese.

Good luck,

T

[quote]Tricep wrote:
Why does everyone eat the low fat version of everything??

I have tried one brand that made me want to puke though… so remember try afew and find a good one.[/quote]

I am with you. Personally, I LOVE the full fat (4%) cottage cheese, and can eat it plain. But in order to lower the fat%, and retain the taste, I’ll mix it with the low-fat (1%) variety.

I have no idea how anyone can stomach the no-fat crap - that crap would make me gag.

If you want the benefit of the casein of Cottage Cheese, eat the full-fat variety.

I havne’t noticed much difference between store-brands and others, but a vermont version seems to be a little tastier in my opinion.

Raspberries and wheat biscuits broked up.

A taste of heaven.