T Nation

Cottage Cheese Plus ?

hey
just wondering what cottage cheese can be mixed with that tastes good, or at least is loaded w/ calories. any good meals u guys make up that includes cottage cheese??

bootsie

I blend it with a hand blender for about 5 minutes and then add vanilla protein powder. If you’ve got an imagination its almost like cheescake. If you want calories, add cream cheese and vanilla pudding mix.

I also mix cottage cheese with tabascoand sometimes flake salmon into it and sometimes add walnuts. You could add some honey for calories. You can also mix it with pesto and eat with pasta, or add it directly to chili.

Oh, you can make potatoes au gratin with cottage cheese mixed in.

And Forest, there’s barbecued cottage cheese, Cottage cheese sandwiches…

I get raw full fat cottage cheese directly from organic farmers. I mix half a cup of it with half a cup of raw kefir, a quarter cup of raw heavy cream and 3 raw egg yolks and a teaspoon of Barlean’s flaxseed oil. I then add a quarter cup of raisins a dash of stevia, a natural sweetener, and lots of cinnamon.

The stuff doesn’t come with nutritional labels so I don’t know exactly how many calories it contains but it must be pretty high. You can add some nuts or seeds to elevate the caloric content. It definitely tastes awesome and leaves me satisfied for a long time.

My favorite breakfast:

Mix non-fat cottage cheese and yogurt in about a 1:1 ratio (I usually use about 2/3 cup of each). Then mix in a scoop and a half of low-carb vanilla Grow! Then mix in 2/3 cup of frozen blueberries. Sprinkle cinammon and 1/3 cup raw pressed oats on top.

Tomato sauce or use it to top your spaghetti. It compliments tomatoes well IMO and it works great on any pasta dish.

Mix it with some salsa and heat it up. Turns into a decent dip/topping and it brings out a cheesier taste in the cottage cheese.

I use it as a way to hide the flavor of flax oil.

• half tub o cottage cheese
  • tablespoon of natch peanut butter
  • psyllium husks
  • tablespoon of flax oil
  • scoop o chocolate Low-Carb Grow!

With this as the base I might add in some nuts or something. If I don’t add the oily stuff I may put in some oats instead before adding the Grow! scoop.

I know there are some carbs, fats and proteins in there. All I can say is if you don’t like it, don’t eat it. Alternately, lick my nuts. No seriously, I get seasoned nuts, and they taste good in there.

Speaking of which, time for me to mix one of these up right now…

[quote]wise11 wrote:
I get raw full fat cottage cheese directly from organic farmers. I mix half a cup of it with half a cup of raw kefir, a quarter cup of raw heavy cream and 3 raw egg yolks and a teaspoon of Barlean’s flaxseed oil. I then add a quarter cup of raisins a dash of stevia, a natural sweetener, and lots of cinnamon.

The stuff doesn’t come with nutritional labels so I don’t know exactly how many calories it contains but it must be pretty high. You can add some nuts or seeds to elevate the caloric content. It definitely tastes awesome and leaves me satisfied for a long time. [/quote]

Wow someone else that knows the tremendous benefits of kefir! Your name fits you. I personally like to mix in some pasta sauce–sounds weird but it tastes like lasagna.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
My favorite breakfast:

Mix non-fat cottage cheese and yogurt in about a 1:1 ratio (I usually use about 2/3 cup of each). Then mix in a scoop and a half of Low-Carb vanilla Grow! Then mix in 2/3 cup of frozen blueberries. Sprinkle cinammon and 1/3 cup raw pressed oats on top.[/quote]

This sounds damn good. I’m gonna try this. I don’t know about the frozen blueberries, though. Why not fresh?

Cottage Cheese makes a great filler for omlettes and pasta shells (mixed with ricotta cheese).

Crowbar

I mix it with an equal amount of pineapple chunks (I’m talking about the stuff that comes in a can in it’s own juice).

Then again I love pineapple…

one of my favorites is:

1 cup cottage cheese
1 heaping tbs nat. p.butter
2 tbs milled flax seed

mix well and enjoy