T Nation

cottage cheese and t-dawg..

With 70 grams carb allotment on workout days, I was wondering if cottage cheese, 11 grams of carbs, no sugar, could be used on the diet? I usually only have around 50 grams, even on workout days, so the cottage cheese would not be a problem as to that.

Cottage cheese is fine. Just watch the extra carbs. BTW, what kind of cottage cheese are you using that contains 11g of carbs?

CC is fine, a staple really, but 11 carbs? Most have half that or less per serving. My fat free brand has 4, low fat has 3.

It’s just fat-free cottage cheese, from wal-mart. 11 grams of carbs, 7 grams of protein, 80 calories.

Start shopping for a different brand of cottage cheese. The brand I use : 1/2 cup serving: 14g protein, 4g carb, 0g fat, and 80 calories. Yours must be loaded with lactose. Mine could eat 39 grams of protein (almost 3 servings) before I’d reach 11g carb. Are you sure it’s not yougurt instead?

Your cottage cheese is a worse ratio than Skim Milk (which is usually pretty close to a 1:1 ratio of carb to prot). Prolly yogurt.

No, it’s cottage cheese, not yogurt, just fat free cottage cheese, small curd. 1 serving is 1/2 cup. What brand do you use?

I’m reading the label for 2% 1/2 cup, carb 5g, fat 2.5g.

I like the Trader Joe’s brand best. Horizon and Clover are very good also. Safeway’s Lucerne brand is a little creamy for my taste. Try the grocery store rather than Wal-Mart, you’ll probably find a better selection. Most of the non-fat cottage cheese I’ve ever eaten is about 14g Pro, 4g CHO and no fat.