Cottage Cheese Alternative?

Ok iv’e read that if you have an alergy(I think I might) to dairy it can be usefull to cut it out in terms of fat loss benefits from your cutting diet.No problem but what about halting bedtime catabolism i.e cottage-cheese? any non dairy alternatives please guys?

Thank’s

[quote]Dobermann wrote:
Ok iv’e read that if you have an alergy(I think I might) to dairy it can be usefull to cut it out in terms of fat loss benefits from your cutting diet.No problem but what about halting bedtime catabolism i.e cottage-cheese? any non dairy alternatives please guys?

Thank’s[/quote]

You said you think you might be, so you aren’t sure. SOme people are allergic to defferent aspects of the subproducts of the dairy and I guess you haven’t pinpointed that down yet. Have you tried a good cassein protein shake? Try to get something w/micellar casein or milk protein isolate listed as the first ingredient. See if you can stomach the cassein. It’s what you’d want for a pre-bed meal.

[quote]Solo’s girl wrote:
Dobermann wrote:

Thank’s

You said you think you might be, so you are sure. SOme people are allergic to defferent aspects of the subproducts of the dairy and I guess you haven’t pinpointed that down yet. Have you tried a good cassein protein shake? Try to get something w/micellar casein or milk protein isolate listed as the first ingredient. See if you can stomach the cassein. It’s what you’d want for a pre-bed meal.
[/quote]

Hi and thanks Solo’s-girl, ok I already take Low-Carb Grow! every day with as far as I can tell no problems? the reason I “might” be alergic to dairy as an adult is that when I have large amounts over a period of time(esp milk cream ice-cream, rather than cheese etc I get full of catarah and not far after a chesty virus and or cold.As a kid I used to have to have my back massaged to get rid of all the muscus build up.And a doc told my mum I was alergic?

Altough as far as I can tell im not lactose intolerant? I pretty much consume diary every day with no problems in the form of cheese.And sometime cream in cooking.But again I dont drink milk and or have too much cream.Wouldent using Low-Carb Grow! count as dairy for diet purposes though?

Most people that discontinue dairy for diet reasons do not include their protein shake in that group.

You should read this article Introduction

Casein is the predominant protein found in milk. While whey makes up about 20% of the protein content in cow milk, casein makes up the other 80% [1]. Casein protein has been used by athletes for decades for its anticatabolic (muscle sparing) properties.

Casein is usually found in three forms, calcium caseinate, micellar casein, and milk protein isolate. Calcium caseinate is considered to be lower quality, while micellar casein and the casein in milk protein isolate are identical. This makes milk protein isolate more economical given a choice between the two. In comparison to whey, casein is not as high quality by some conventional standards of measuring protein quality. The biological value of casein protein is about 70 compared to 100 for whey. However, milk protein has a biological value of over 90. And if we use the PDCAAS, a more modern method of determining protein quality, all three of these proteins (casein, whey, and milk) are on equal footing at 1.00.

What is unique about casein protein is the slow digestion rate. Studies that compare whey and casein administered in the workout period inevitably find that whey protein exerts a far stronger anabolic response in this case [2]. However, when casein is administered at other periods the strength gains are twice of those seen with whey [3]. This is because while whey stimulates protein synthesis much more than casein in the short term, casein causes a sustained release of amino acids, preventing muscle breakdown for a more extended period of time [4]. This makes whey the protein of choice for the workout period, with casein preferable at other times, especially before periods of fasting (such as sleep). Because casein does not have a pleasant taste, a blend of casein and whey is generally used. An additional reason not to completely ditch the whey is that it has a plethora of health benefits that casein does not have, although some peptides in casein do have free radical scavenging activity [5].

Marketing techniques

There are many “sustained release protein” products on the market. However, many of these probably do not contain as much casein as they appear. Companies want to avoid putting too much casein in a product for a few reasons. First, casein is more expensive than whey. Second, casein has a distinct, malty taste which many find unpleasant, and the taste is not easy to mask. However, because a protein with high casein content is sought after, the advertisement may make it appear as though the protein blend contains more casein than it actually does. To tell if a product is high in casein, milk protein isolate or some form of casein should be the first ingredient. Even then, low casein content may be masked by use of many different protein sources. For example, if the ingredients section of a protein lists, in order, milk protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, egg protein, and soy protein, the casein content may be lower than 20%.

Note this line:“before bed, you want the most sustained release of amino acids possible.”

[quote]Dobermann wrote:
what about halting bedtime catabolism i.e cottage-cheese? any non dairy alternatives please guys?

Thank’s[/quote]

Great thanks Solo’s-girl!

looks like i’ll be using Low-Carb Grow! for my non-dairy diet bedtime meal.As well as through the day as normal with my oats and stuff.

Doberman,
Don’t want to nitpick but technically whey/ casein powders aren’t “non-dairy” and so if there’s true allergy to the proteins themselves, use caution in (re-)introducing them.

That being said, if you experience no symptoms to the more refined/ purposefully designed Grow, great!

You know, good ol’ meat is also a great, “slow” evening protein source, as gastric emptying/ digestion is slower than with liquids.

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
Doberman,
Don’t want to nitpick but technically whey/ casein powders aren’t “non-dairy” and so if there’s true allergy to the proteins themselves, use caution in (re-)introducing them.

That being said, if you experience no symptoms to the more refined/ purposefully designed Grow, great!

You know, good ol’ meat is also a great, “slow” evening protein source, as gastric emptying/ digestion is slower than with liquids. [/quote]

Thank’s Doc,

Well as I said I can drink Low-Carb Grow! with no sides? only when I drink lots of milk,cream ice-cream etc etc I start to get build up in catarah. And I also noticed that after cottage-cheese I get wind? not sure if thats lactose intolerance? I dont get it with normal cheese. But im going to remove all dairy in an effort to shift this stuborn fat round the gut.