Costochondritis and Chest Pain

Hey Guys,

I have been lifting weights for more than a year now, im not sure if i’m supposed to post here but have you guys ever experienced Costochondritis (Costochondritis is the inflammation of the cartilage in the rib cage and the surrounding soft tissue (tendons, muscles). I went to the doctor and he said the cartilage is inflammed, but i have tried taking medicine and still did’nt help, do you guys know any exercise or ways to help with it? it is really bothering me and affecting my progress.

Thanks
Kim

Try adding some fish oil to your diet, it might help.

Yep more fishoil, I take 12 a day, its not Flameout but close enough.

I also take Glucosamine and Chondroitin sups and I have noticed quit a bit of improvement in my knees, chest and shoulder in both terms of flexibility and reduced pain.

My chest hurts because I got plowed by a car and broke almost every rib, right knee, right shoulder, etc. when I was 14. I have problems with doing Bench pressing because of this, I still can’t do over 150lb without it feeling like my ribcage is going to burst open.

It’s inflammation of the muscle between the ribs. (Intercostal muscles)

Take 250mg Ibuprofen morning and night until symptoms clear. Should only take a day or two.

As they said above fish oil is about the best thing you can do. You should be taking in 35-45 grams. Just like fish oil is ANTI-inflamitory, saturated fats have an INFLAMITORY effect so definately limit your intake of these. Your body creates both inflammatory and anti-inflammatory chemicals, called “prostaglandins” from nutrients in the food that you eat. Imbalances in your diet can lead to the creation of excessive amounts of inflammatory prostaglandins, which fuel your body’s inflammatory response.

Conversely, the consumption of certain nutrients, like omega-3 fatty acids, allows your body to produce more anti-inflammatory prostaglandins, which it uses to reduce inflammation.

Modern nutrition experts, including Andrew Weil, Nicholas Perricone, and Barry Sears, have written many books about diet’s link to inflammation, and have promoted the increased consumption of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and other nutrients that help control or reduce inflammation. Choose green leafy vegetables, green and brightly colored vegetables and lots of fresh whole fruits.

You should eat at least five and preferably more servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Green vegetables and whole fruits are also important as sources of dietary fiber.

Berries are also a great food choice, especially blueberries and strawberries which are packed with anti-inflammatory phytochemicals and anti-oxidants. The pigments in brightly colored fruits, vegetables and berries contain many phytochemicals that have antiinflammatory properties. One example is quercetin, which is found in apple and red onion skins and has strong antiinflammatory