Costly Misprint?

A recent muscle-and-body mag (I won’t say which one) included a big typo in a chart that ran with an article about amino acids. I called the company to tell them about it, but I’m wondering if anyone can tell me how costly the error could have been to people’s health.

In the chart, they recommended taking 1 to 4 GRAMS of Theanine before bed time. Many of you already know that Theanine’s a relaxation supplement of sorts that’s supposed to help boost growth hormone during sleep, one they’re recommending you take before bed time. Now, in the article that accompanied the chart (as well as on the bottle), the suggested dose is 50 to 200 MILIGRAMS.

Compared to the chart, that’s a huge difference! How much? Well, on the maximum side, two pills vs. 40! So, for anyone who clipped the chart out of the mag (like I did) and slapped it on the fridge, didn’t know much about Theanine, and is used to gobbling a bunch of pills – that could have spelled trouble. But, actually, that’s what I’m wondering from you folks.

Can someone overdose on Theanine? What would have been the setback for me had I not caught the misprint?

And please forward this warning to others!

It is probably just a way for them to sell more supplements.

There really is no need to megadose anything. It is typically bad for you.

Sh!t, taking too many vitamins can be bad for you.

[quote]ministryofone wrote:
the suggested dose is 50 to 200 MILIGRAMS.
[/quote]

Umm… thats .5-2 grams is it not? And the previous dose was 1-4 grams?

[quote]Dfresh wrote:
ministryofone wrote:

Umm… thats .5-2 grams is it not? And the previous dose was 1-4 grams?[/quote]

That’s .05 to .2 grams, a milligram is equal to .001 grams.

[quote]Dfresh wrote:
ministryofone wrote:

No-no, the suggested dose is actually measured in mgs. Fifty to 200 mgs to be exact. That’s why I’m so taken aback by the misprint.

And believe me, all you need is two of those 100 mg pills to be relaxed before bed. I can’t imagine how I would feel had I taken 40 of those pills to reach the misprint dose of 4 grams.

Of course, I probably would have woken up with a third biceps after all the GH that it stimulated. lol.

Anyway, beware.

[quote]Dfresh wrote:
ministryofone wrote:

No, it’s not. 50 milligrams = 1/20th (50 / 1000) of a gram. 200 milligrams would be 1/5th (200 / 1000) of a gram.

[quote]ministryofone wrote:
Can someone overdose on Theanine? What would have been the setback for me had I not caught the misprint?[/quote]

Stop being such a lemming and doing what some author in a magazine tells you to do.

Seriously, don’t you people do independent research before stuffing chemicals in your body? If a supplement is effective, it is, by definition, a drug. Be smart before doing drugs.

It’s all well and good to get ideas from magazines and the Internet. But blindly following what someone tells you (which might be dumb advice even without the typo) is an invitation for trouble.

A while back Dan Duchaine (a “guru” if ever there was one) was selling some l-glutamine powder that was supposed to bypass the gut. Well… the substance that helped the glutamine bypass the gut also caused freaking ulcers. So people who blindly followed his advice learned.

There are other examples, I just don’t feel like listing them.

The bottom line is that you should not be blindly following what is written in some magazine.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
ministryofone wrote:
Can someone overdose on Theanine? What would have been the setback for me had I not caught the misprint?

Stop being such a lemming and doing what some author in a magazine tells you to do.

Seriously, don’t you people do independent research before stuffing chemicals in your body? If a supplement is effective, it is, by definition, a drug. Be smart before doing drugs.

It’s all well and good to get ideas from magazines and the Internet. But blindly following what someone tells you (which might be dumb advice even without the typo) is an invitation for trouble.

A while back Dan Duchaine (a “guru” if ever there was one) was selling some l-glutamine powder that was supposed to bypass the gut. Well… the substance that helped the glutamine bypass the gut also caused freaking ulcers. So people who blindly followed his advice learned.

The bottom line is that you should not be blindly following what is written in some magazine.[/quote]

Fair enough. And I think your post is getting this conversation to where it needs to be now.

What’s considered a reputable source for information about supplements, workouts and anything else in this industry? Why should we trust one Web site over the other, including this one, according to the theory of independent research?

By no means am I debating your reply. The point’s valid, but I’m curious as to where to get good information. I mean, the magazine I’m referencing seems reputable enough to be on this Web site, and I’m sure the authors of the article aren’t some dopes they hired off of the street. I mean, this five- or six-page spread wasn’t in StreetWise. (Regional joke; I’m sure you get the drift regardless).

In other words, if the eighth-grade gym teacher tells the 12-year-old pencil neck to do four sets of 10 reps on the bench, why wouldn’t he? He’s the frickin’ gym coach, and the schoolboy’s never even seen a bench press. Should we all have our nose in the “American Journal of Sports Medicine” or something like that?

The point of my post was to warn newbies and others trying Theanine for the first time to think twice and read twice before swallowing the good-night’s-rest-GH magic pill, which I’m sure it’s not.

However, it is relaxing. Hehe.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
ministryofone wrote:

The bottom line is that you should not be blindly following what is written in some magazine.[/quote]

Good post.