Costco Whey Protein

Hi Everyone,

I am currently taking eas simply whey, and wanted to see if anyone had feedback on costco’s whey protein. I believe the brand is Pro Rated, it comes in a seal-back bag and not the traditional plastic jar.

I wonder if they share the manufacturer with other advertised brands. Similar to some clothing brands you would think are competitors actually come out of the same factory and have the same ownership.

Costco usually has good quality stuff but its hard to take a chance with the protein juice!!!

AnyWHEY … the motivation is to save some $$$ as their 6 lbs bag is in the low $20’s (sorry I forgot the exact price)

I appreciate your help…

Ive never actually tried it but heard from a few people that it flavour leaves a lot to be desired. I would personally spend a bit more money on far better tasting product.
See Ya

I used to take that stuff all the time. The price is right but the taste is not. Looking to save some cash try the ON Whey, good taste and good price…

[quote]LillGuy001 wrote:
Ive never actually tried it but heard from a few people that it flavour leaves a lot to be desired. I would personally spend a bit more money on far better tasting product.
See Ya[/quote]

It also does not blend unless you put it into a blender. Nothing worse than a clumpy, shitty tasting powder.

I use it all the time. Good price, and as near as I can tell good quality. The flavor isn’t the best I’ve tasted but it’s pretty darn good. Hard to do better than this for the price.

I saw that my last trip to Costco. I almost picked it up, I think it’s been reformulated since I bought it last. The original powder gave me the worst gas! I don’t have that problem with Biotest’s powder so I’m hesitant to go back.

First of all, the price is $25 for 6lbs, with 27g of protein per scoop. Probably not the best quality, but I’ve used it exclusivley for the past three-four years. At one point it came in a plastic jug and was only $20. About a year ago it changed to a plastic bag and went up $5…interesting eigh?

Either they upped the quality while cutting back on packaging expenses, or just boosted the profit margin a bit. At any rate, it’s still a great deal. I enjoy the taste alot, in fact have yet to find one I like better. I have NO problems with mixing, all I do is fill up a 12 oz mason jar, cap it, and shake the hell out of it.

I’ve taken it for a few years now. I don’t mind the taste. I just care that it is protein on the cheap. It is also is about 30 grams per scoop. Another good thing, is that it has casein protein in there too. I use a shaker to get it to be less clumpy.

I love people who are more concerned about quantity than quality…

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
I love people who are more concerned about quantity than quality…[/quote]

Yeah, some people are more concerned with something being cheap rather than good.

Personally, I wouldn’t use protein powder if I couldn’t afford a quality product like Metabolic Drive. In fact, through much of college I relied soley on whole food sources for all of my protein intake since I couldn’t afford a product I could stomach and felt comfortable with.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
I love people who are more concerned about quantity than quality…[/quote]

It’s kind of hard to tell if one Whey is a lot “better” than another. How do you tell? Are there standards to how good the “quality” must be pass inspections, etc.

I like to vary the protein blends I use and this is one that I keep on hand thanks to its cheapness and convenience (no shipping involved). The stuff generally isn’t bad in terms of taste and mixability though it isn’t great. My biggest complaint is that they use a blend of five or six different proteins, some of them less prone to tasting tolerable than others and this means that they have to jack the hell out of their flavoring agents to make it tolerable. If they cut the hydrolized whey then that alone would likely allow them to make a better product. Off the top of my head that is the only aweful tasting protein they include.

I buy it all the time, no problems yet

Yeah, I remember when it first came out a few years ago and they came in the bottles. I think the bottles were only 5lbs though, and now the bags are 6lbs.

I used to use that stuff all the time, then I just stopped.

I picked up a bag, figuring I’d give it a try and the mixability sucks, so I always use a simple hand blender.

For added taste I add a little vanila or chocolate pudding powder.

I’m giving the Anabolic Diet a shot using this protein since it’s cheap and I’ve noticed good growth after only 3 weeks. I’m no newbie either, so I’m happy with the product thus far.

I bought the 5lb container last year. Used it and started buying the bags and use the container to hold the protein contents.

Only used vanilla.

The taste is okay for me. I use only water. I don’t drink it alone because I get sick of the plain taste. I mix in berries, greens drink, extra fiber or flax, and/or other fruits like apples and bananas.

The cost does me fine.

I never understood why people bitched so much about having a good “tasting” protein that was cheap as well. If it’s a good protein source then 25 bucks for 6lb is a good deal. I’ve used it and I personally think it’s a great deal.

If you read the package closer you’ll notice it has a blend of different types of proteins for various absorption rates. Hearing people bitch about price and taste etc etc. Reminds me of one time when some guys at 24 hour fitness went to the front desk to complain about how the AC wasn’t cold enough. Man up… just down some good quality protein and stop bitching about the taste.

[quote]Tryfon wrote:
I buy it all the time, no problems yet[/quote]

lol… what do you mean “no problems yet”, supplements are supposed to help achieve goals, is it doing it’s job?

if so then it’s great. As far as most of us are concerned though, a protein supp is protein, and that’s all that matters.

This is ofcourse, assuming costco is not giving protein labeled chalk or something.

I’ve been buying it for the last 2 years…the brand I get at Costco is SportPharma, 22g whey protein, cost is $22bucks. Somehow I think that if I’m buying it at Costco I’m getting a great deal lol.

[quote]HouseOfAtlas wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
I love people who are more concerned about quantity than quality…

It’s kind of hard to tell if one Whey is a lot “better” than another. How do you tell? Are there standards to how good the “quality” must be pass inspections, etc.[/quote]

I guess I’m one of the rare people that is actually concerned about flavor. If I have ot ingest something that I actually pay money for- why not get the best tasting product you can? If it tastes like shit- or even “ok” why spend your hard earned money on it?

It’s like getting the cheapest car insurance policy you can find, or buying a f’in Yugo.

the best thing to if your low on budget is try to find something not too shitty but not too expensive. imho if your eating tons of food the way you should be you dont need protein shakes. i havent needed them for close to three months now.