T Nation

Cost of Eating Well

So inflation sucks hairy monkey balls.

The cost of eggs is up 25% over last year and the cost of other dairy products is up 20%. Deli meats are no better.

I went to the store the other night and barely bought anything, yet it cost me $30. I remember the price of shaved chicken to be $4 a pound. Well last night I had the pleasure of paying $8.50 a pound for shaved chicken.

Chicken breasts are just as nuts. A pack of 3 or roughly 1.2 pounds was about $11. I wasn’t even shopping organic or anything. I know many of you are paying more than I am as I know prices were worse in Michigan than when I moved back down here to SC.

So what have y’all either given up, or done to off-set the prices of eating well?

I would shop more at Walmart, except I live out in the cow fields so it costs me more in gas to drive there than I save. I may resort to stealing my neighbor’s cows for steak…

find a butcher/meat shop I can get ribeyes for 3.79 a pount and chicken breast for 2 bucks a pound here locally…

Costco FTW! You can buy all of your meat there, which is amazing by the way, in large quantities at great prices. They have milled flax, Fiber Choice, fish oil, natural/organic peanut butter, almonds, etc. Stop shopping at grocery stores, they’re on the way out of business anyway. You can’t get anything in a grocery store for less than $4.00 these days. Screw those sheisters!

Hmm I shall try and find one. I believe the nearest one is 30-45minutes away.

Haha damn living in the country…well OK actually I love it. I lived in DC for 18 years and while I miss the coulture and everything being close by, the calm of the country is great.

I’m going to stop by some of the local farms and see if I can’t get them to sell me 1/2 a cow or something. I don’t believe many around here butcher it themselves, but surely someone must!

Crew,
Can you hunt around there? I met a few good ol’ boys through football that lived in areas where they ate almost whatever they shot, which is cheap and provides a hell of a lot of meat. I just visited my brother in SC (Greenville) for the first time a few weeks ago, the surroundings are truly amazing.

[quote]Pugsley wrote:
find a butcher/meat shop I can get ribeyes for 3.79 a pount and chicken breast for 2 bucks a pound here locally…[/quote]

Ditto. If nothing else you will still be paying the same price for meat that is a lot fresher.

I guess I’m pretty lucky where I live because my decent (but not that decent) income covers the cost of good food. I don’t really cut back in another area. Instead I’ll just work an extra shift or holiday every once in awhile.

My meat prices aren’t nearly as bad as yours, as 1.5# of chicken costs around $8 and 92% fat free beef is $5.30/lb. However the fresh produce is pretty expensive. $3 for 2 servings of fresh spinach? That’s like $7 per pound!

[quote]martyh wrote:
Crew,
Can you hunt around there? I met a few good ol’ boys through football that lived in areas where they ate almost whatever they shot, which is cheap and provides a hell of a lot of meat. I just visited my brother in SC (Greenville) for the first time a few weeks ago, the surroundings are truly amazing.[/quote]

While I hunt I’m a pretty far cry from a good ol’ boy haha. The fishing around here sucks as you can’t eat anything from lake heartwell and I never got a permit this year as I was in the process of moving.

Haha I live in Greenville btw.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
However the fresh produce is pretty expensive. $3 for 2 servings of fresh spinach? That’s like $7 per pound!

[/quote]

I feel ya, I paid $1.20 for 2 lemons. Somehow I don’t see any kids selling lemonade for 25 cents anymore.

Michigan prices suck. Of course you know that. Costco and Meijer are my only two stores. I’m considering dropping down to an anorexic 180 just so I consume less. :stuck_out_tongue: Gas prices just shot up to $3.50/gallon, expect to see even higher prices all around.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
Michigan prices suck. Of course you know that. Costco and Meijer are my only two stores. I’m considering dropping down to an anorexic 180 just so I consume less. :stuck_out_tongue: Gas prices just shot up to $3.50/gallon, expect to see even higher prices all around.[/quote]

I actually miss Meijer’s man! That place was great and had good prices. Not too mention I lived 5 minutes MAX from one so shopping was right around the corner.

I would have loved it in Michigan…if it wasn’t so damn cold all the time.

You guys are so lucky you don’t even know it.
In the UK prices are significantly more than the USA and Canada, especially when your trying to buy quality Chicken and eggs.

http://www.strongmanbeef.iceglow.com/

If you can afford the up front cost and have a deep freeze, this might be a way to bring down the per meal price and get a far superior protein source.

I haven’t ordered from them yet (my deep freeze is well stocked right now), but definitely plan on it for my next restock.

Obviously this won’t affect your budget outside of beef, chicken, buffalo, etc.

[quote]Shire wrote:
In the UK prices are significantly more than the USA and Canada, especially when your trying to buy quality Chicken and eggs.[/quote]

I wouldn’t call factory farmed meat and eggs ‘quality’. And the animals pay the price for the money we save. If you buy quality meat/eggs here you have to pay for it as well. You get what you pay for basically.

[quote]bw1985 wrote:
Shire wrote:
In the UK prices are significantly more than the USA and Canada, especially when your trying to buy quality Chicken and eggs.

I wouldn’t call factory farmed meat and eggs ‘quality’. And the animals pay the price for the money we save. If you buy quality meat/eggs here you have to pay for it as well. You get what you pay for basically.[/quote]

I would appreciate someone informing me of the huge benefit of looking for an arbitrary meaning of “quality” in meat selection.

It’s meat. My main question is, “is it clean?” and, “is it fresh?”. All else seems like a waste of mental energy worrying about.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
<<< I would appreciate someone informing me of the huge benefit of looking for an arbitrary meaning of “quality” in meat selection.

It’s meat. My main question is, “is it clean?” and, “is it fresh?”. All else seems like a waste of mental energy worrying about.[/quote]

All soft tissue from dead animals is protein and lots of it complete. Obviously I agree.

Costco is worth the 30 minute drive.

I live in CA where gas is damn near 4.00 gallon (over for premium some places!)

88% lean ground beef 2.59lb

skinless chicken breasts 2.99lb

3,4lb bags of raw almonds, walnuts, etc for 9-12 bucks

4lbs of bananas for 1.97

6 dozen eggs for 10 bucks

etc…

You also have to remember, look at how some of your friends eat/drink.

I eat WAY more than any of my friends and a lot better quality to and I spend less than almost all of them becuase they always eat out and spend 100+ dollars a night at the bars on the weekends.

Farmers market:
30 eggs for $8.50
Weeks worth of fruit and vegetables: $15

I still just go to the grocery store for meat since there are usually specials on chicken and rump steak for $10/kilo.

Off topic a tad but I can see how some people can say that ‘healthy’ food is more expensive.

Last time I checked an apple is cheaper than a candy bar.

bw1985 wrote:
Shire wrote:

I wouldn’t call factory farmed meat and eggs ‘quality’. And the animals pay the price for the money we save. If you buy quality meat/eggs here you have to pay for it as well. You get what you pay for basically.

I would appreciate someone informing me of the huge benefit of looking for an arbitrary meaning of “quality” in meat selection.

It’s meat. My main question is, “is it clean?” and, “is it fresh?”. All else seems like a waste of mental energy worrying about.[/quote]

I mean, the whole issue of essential fatty acids is probably overblown–who care what you’re feeding a 99% lean chicken breast? But I looove the grass-fed beef I bought. It tastes great, and I can keep it rare without getting sick. Otherwise the only thing I really splurge on is wild salmon, which I have a couple times a week. I figure as long as I’m shopping around the perimeter I’m doing all right.

bw1985 wrote:
Shire wrote:

Well I try to avoid when I can the cheapest cuts of Chicken in the supermarket. In the UK it is well known here that the really cheap stuff is fed all kinds of nasty things such as animal remains. There was a documentary on this a few years back.

The benefit is clear when your buying corn fed chicken over your generic cheap product. Or say Wild Alaskan Salmon over farmed Scottish.

Honestly when I was in the US I saw meat I had no problem eating fairly cheaper than the UK equivalent.