T Nation

Cortisone for Bursitis?

I now know I have a severe case of bursitis in my rotator cuff region from years of training heavy. I can’t sleep at night because of the intense throbbing, so I decided to get a shot of cortisone directly into the affected area. I really didn’t want to do this shot, because of catabolic effects etc, but the alternative is no sleep at night due to the pain. Does anyone think just one shot of cortisone is THAT bad? will my muscles disappear? Will I turn into a jelly belly lard ass? Will my libido disappear? I intend to rehab my shoulder, and avoid all offensive excersises so that I only need one shot and not regular shots- which I know will become detrimental.

[quote]roberteli wrote:
I now know I have a severe case of bursitis in my rotator cuff region from years of training heavy. I can’t sleep at night because of the intense throbbing, so I decided to get a shot of cortisone directly into the affected area. I really didn’t want to do this shot, because of catabolic effects etc, but the alternative is no sleep at night due to the pain. Does anyone think just one shot of cortisone is THAT bad? will my muscles disappear? Will I turn into a jelly belly lard ass? Will my libido disappear? I intend to rehab my shoulder, and avoid all offensive excersises so that I only need one shot and not regular shots- which I know will become detrimental.[/quote]

It’s not that cortisone is THAT detrimental, it’s just not doing anything to heal your shoulder.

You need to figure out why your shoulder is in pain to begin with. What movements are causing pain, what position do you sleep in that causes you pain, can you modify this? etc.

Just getting the shot isn’t going to heal your shoulder.

In fact, now that you have the shot you are going to be doing things that are damaging the shoulder but you won’t feel that damage (the pain) due to the shot. Pain isn’t always a bad thing. It lets you know which things you need to stop doing.

Lastly, sleep with your arm down, elbow plopped on a pillow, hand on your stomach. Pretty damn hard to have any pain in this position.

Yes, thank you. I am going now for deep tissue massage, and boy does it hurt when they apply pressure in the junction between my tricep and latissimus dorsi by the armpit. I have multiple trigger points in my rotator cuff ans elsewhere. My external rotators are much stronger than my internal rotators, so there’s an imbalance there, and elsewhere I’m sure.

[quote]benchaffleck wrote:
Yes, thank you. I am going now for deep tissue massage, and boy does it hurt when they apply pressure in the junction between my tricep and latissimus dorsi by the armpit. I have multiple trigger points in my rotator cuff ans elsewhere. My external rotators are much stronger than my internal rotators, so there’s an imbalance there, and elsewhere I’m sure.[/quote]

Yes! Now you’re heading in the right direction.

Keep in mind though, it’s rare all the internal rotators are weak. It’s often just the subscapularis. Pec minor, the lat (you noticed how tender this is), and pec major are typically wayyy too strong and active. The subscapularis helps pull the head of the shoulder nice and snug in the socket. If it’s moving around too much (weak subscap) you irritate the capsule. Boom = bursitis. Bursitis is really a symptom of the problem though (the weak subscap). This is why just getting a cortisone shot doesn’t do anything. it MAY calm down the inflammation but it’s not solving what’s causing the inflammation to begin with.

Give this a read: http://b-reddy.org/2011/06/19/best-exercises-for-the-subscapularis/