Cortisol

Is any of this true?
Low carb HIGH protein diets increase Cortisol levels in order to break down protein (glucogeneosis).
This can lead to a general feeling of unhappiness and feeling overtrained. Cortisol will inhibit fat loss because Insulin will eventuall be raised. (I read that in the anti aging zone). Does Eating High amounts of protein 2g per pound of LBM means the body has to turn over alott of energy to break and store the protein so Cortisol is needed to acomplish this. Which impacts the body negatively. Would Eating small amounts of carbs with each meal keep cortisol levels in check? Thus would this constant glucogeneosis and high Cortisol levels depress ones hormonal levels because of the catabolic state created?

Is this true I have never heard of such a thing re high protein diets?

yes I agree with this very much!

glucagon is the hormone involved in glucogenesis. cortisol is not.

Bill Roberts, Brock Srasser, Cy Wilson PLEASE REPLY I would like your opinions on this.

Glucagon and Cortisol rise so does Adrenaline.

Both glucagon and cortisol play a role in GLUCONEOGENESIS(sp!). It is true that low carb diets can lead to feelings of unhappiness and overtraining, but the unhappiness is likely more a function of neuroglucopenia (insuffcient blood glucose for proper neural function). Overtraining is simply that, overtraining.

Cortisol in and of itself will not inhibit fat loss, and will certainly not lead to elevations in insulin. Insulin levels are simply reliant upon blood glucose levels and adrenergic stimulation or inhibition.

Yes, high protein diets do require more energy in order to process the protein, but most people consider this a good thing. To assimilate protein you are using energy, which will result in fat loss if calories are constant. This is evidenced by studies where percentage of metabolic energy derived from fat was higher on higher protein diet (2 g/kg I believe). Cortisol is not "needed" for this process because cortisol does not produce energy, it initiates processes which produce energy. Under circumstances of high protein intake this is inhibited though.

Your last point about keeping cortisol levels in check is not really relevant unless you are training excessively or doing aerobic/endurance exercise. The cortisol levels will be affected more by the nature of the workouts, so keep them short.

P.S. I would say don't read the anti-aging zone.

Thanks for the Reply You cleared things up. I read the anti aging zone only because it went in depth on eicasanoids which intrigue me.

I have heard things like this before,if it is true I think the increased amount of testosterone on a high fat diet and the fact that you are burning fat and not glycogen (when you burn glycogen for fuel it is almost impossible to prevent depleting your stores, the body will go right for muscle when you’ve run out of glycogen on a high fat diet). I don’t like absolute keto diets though, I’d switch to the Anabolic Diet though, the weekly carb ups are good for building muscle and I feel it’s better at preserving muscle than keto diets. You should also know that you need cortisol, it has anti-inflamatory and muscle/joint repairing abilities. Guys on high amounts of anti-glucocorticoids find that they’re really stiff in the joints, can’t recover, and EASILY overtrain.