Cortisol Inhibitors?

I’ve been seeing ads lately for these to be used for weight loss. but i’m wondering if anyone has tried one to prevent muscle breakdown and speed up a bulking phase?
do any of these products actually work?

Cortisol is NOT the devil and if you inhibit it to much you DIE!!! It is needed. It helps tell the body Hey this guy just did a LOT of damage to this muscle put strain on this joint, ligament bone etc, you better fix this damn thing and make it bigger and stronger than before so if he does the monkey shit again we’ll be ready.

Phill

Phil is exactly right.

In principle there probably are cases where subtly tweaking down cortisol will yield a modest benefit. However, the field of anti-cortisol supplementation is rendered somewhat ridiculous by the fact that Cytadren is in fact effective at reducing cortisol, as much as one may want including very easily too low, but it does not yield mass benefits.

So how is an anti-cortisol supplement going to do so?

There’s a reason a big-name “Corti” product has gone from a market leader to an also-ran (and also fined millions of dollars by the FDA or FTC, don’t recall which, for unsubstantiable claims.)

That said, if one appears to have a fat distribution type associated with high cortisol – big belly relative to everything else due to visceral fat dominating subcutaneous fat – at least phosphatidyl serine won’t cause a problem and may be a benefit. Or one could just eat eggs (which are high in PS and most likely are good for bodybuilding for reasons in addition to that.) The benefit may not really be from reducing cortisol though, but if one gets a benefit, the cause is really only theoretical interest.

Cortisol only becomes a significant factor in prolonged stress reaction and immune supression, where it leads to hypertension, renal disfunction, CVA potental etc. In the short-term it is instrumental in the general adaptive principle of sympathetic nervous system function / reaction. I can think of no purpose to inhibit its production post training.

I was trying to add on to what Phill and Bill Roberts had to say by posting an article that was run on here about cortisol.

I searched and searched but couldn’t find it (it doesn’t help that I can’t remember the author). Maybe someone else has the link handy.

BTW it’s great to see you posting, Mr. Roberts. So much knowledge. . .

Thank you, that is kind to say!

I agree Mr. Roberts nice to see you posting been a awhile sine ye days of Ole glad to have you back posting and thanks for adding substance onto what I elluded to.

Phill

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
Phil is exactly right.

In principle there probably are cases where subtly tweaking down cortisol will yield a modest benefit. However, the field of anti-cortisol supplementation is rendered somewhat ridiculous by the fact that Cytadren is in fact effective at reducing cortisol, as much as one may want including very easily too low, but it does not yield mass benefits.

So how is an anti-cortisol supplement going to do so?

There’s a reason a big-name “Corti” product has gone from a market leader to an also-ran (and also fined millions of dollars by the FDA or FTC, don’t recall which, for unsubstantiable claims.)

That said, if one appears to have a fat distribution type associated with high cortisol – big belly relative to everything else due to visceral fat dominating subcutaneous fat – at least phosphatidyl serine won’t cause a problem and may be a benefit. Or one could just eat eggs (which are high in PS and most likely are good for bodybuilding for reasons in addition to that.) The benefit may not really be from reducing cortisol though, but if one gets a benefit, the cause is really only theoretical interest.[/quote]

Where the devil have you been all these years? It’s good to have you back posting. I saw you come out of “hiding” a day or so ago…very glad to have you back, fount. of wisdom :).

Thanks. I’ve been around in the sense of working for Biotest continuously through, but – and this isn’t the only instance of this – sometimes things occur where for some period of time I do something very avidly and then experience a period of just not doing it at all. I wish that I had continued even if only occasionally posting the last couple of years; hopefully I’m back on track now.