T Nation

Correcting the Biology Teacher!

im sure you all have had the classes were it drives you crazy what your teacher says. Well my latest says that the reason the football player died a few years ago during a hot practice was because he only did weight training, which does not strengthen your heart. SO he was strong with a weak heart that killed him during the summer practice. He should have run some marathons says the teacher!

AAAAA!!@##@!!

I didn’t have time to debate, but my immediate thoughts were that weight training is never completely aerobic or anerobic both systems are present but to what exact degree per lift is probably debatable. EX run a 100 yd dash all out, if you were only using anerobic pathways then you could hold your breathe the whole way right?

REgarding the football player that died I think he was hopped up on ephedra and stimulants prior to heart stroke?

please you science types can you give me some info that will put the know it all science teacher in his place!

He died from heat stroke. It has to do with hydration, not how well trained you are.

You will have to be more specific about who’s death you are talking about. There seems to be a death or two every year. Some are due to stimulants, but it seems the majority are due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, basically hypertrophy of the heart.

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a rare, GENETIC disorder. If untreated, it frequently (ok, almost always) leads to sudden cardiac arrest, especially in athletes. It is more common in males than females.

This disease causes death in endurance athletes just as often (proportionately) as strength athletes or football players. You hear about it more in football simply because there are a lot more college kids playing football than running long distances.

You are generally right about your statements dealing with anaerobic and aerobic pathways. They are never mutually exclusive. Check your heart rate sometime after a heavy set of squats. Note your breathing, too.

Your biology teacher clearly has no clue what he/she is talking about. Is this a high school or college class?

Ryan Shay, a 28 year old marathon runner, died in 2007 while running due to an enlarged heart, likely hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

There is a lot of information on the web about this disease and deaths in young athletes.

Jesse Marunde died from a genetically enlarged heart (or so I understand it). As a strongman competitor he would have done ‘aerobic’ work as well as weight training.

Not sure what relevance that has, just wanted to mention it.

You could always ask him how the heart is able to differentiate between types of stress placed upon it.

Tell him to perform a few jumping jacks, then ask if that’s aerobic exercise. Then get him to crouch lower so he’s doing jump squats, then ask if that’s aerobic exercise. Then get him to just perform bodyweight squats and ask him if that’s aerobic exercise. Then get him to hold something in his hands (a few textbooks), then ask him if that’s aerobic exercise. If he answers yes, tell him he’s just performed a weighted squat.

[quote]Roual wrote:
Jesse Marunde died from a genetically enlarged heart (or so I understand it). As a strongman competitor he would have done ‘aerobic’ work as well as weight training.
[/quote]

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/morenewsv6.php?id=2164#2164

Jesse died from cardiac arthythmia due to hypertrophic and dilated cardiomyopathy.

There are many more tragic cases just like this. Show some of these to your teacher. Make sure you also note that in Marunde’s case the toxicology reports showed nothing.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

great responses, So bushido your saying the heart will strengthen against resistance xercise?
You say low reps dont use much heart strength? but why after a set of 3 to 3 reps of powercleans or squats my heart is pumping very rapidly? itsn’t that strenthening?

Thanks for the responses, this is a college biology class for science majors! my last class the professor thought all fats were bad including omega 3! jesus!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Wow, thanks Bushy, guess you do learn something new every day :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity, did you / do you post on MAP?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Don’t correct your teacher. It’s bad form. I did this in high school and it caused nothing but trouble. Just chuckle to yourself and enjoy the fact that you know more than him. But correcting your teacher will just make you look like an asshole. You won’t be able to change his mind anyway.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
What is MAP?

Bushy[/quote]

I’ll take that as a no then :slight_smile:

does anyone know of any really god studies showing the benefits of a LCD or reduced carbo diet on performace version super high carbs?

best quote of the day: As Primitive man we needed to find those carbs for quick energy, carbs were hard to find thats why we developed tastes for them, protein was everywhere and easy to come by. Thats why we secreate enzymes for carbs in our mouth.

AAAAAAAAAAAAA!

What?

Apples are a lot easier to catch than rabbits.

i cant say anything to my Bio teacher, shes a fucking lunatic cunt. she took 2 points off my final grade and threatened to kick me out for the rest of the semester because we were disecting pigs and they come in a packaging with some kind of preservative juice in them and everyone flushed it, then she got mad about it and im like, well you could have told us.

then this clown is talking about adipose tissue and we were looking at slides at it and shes like well if you go to a doctor and he does a sample and finds a lot of this hell tell you to exercise more or you may be in serious danger. then i say, well you wouldnt need to run some kind of test, its pretty easy to see just by looking at them. then she gets into an argument with me that someone could be fat (im assuming like morbidly fat cause thats what she seemed to be talking about) and you couldnt even tell without some rediculous procedure. so she points to this tiny asian girl next to me and starts using her as an example, like can you tell if shes fat or not? im like well its pretty obvious shes not in danger of dying and she started arguing that since her face isnt sucked in or w/e that she could be somehow hiding tons of blubber…my god i fucking hate her.

[quote]MISCONCEPTION wrote:
does anyone know of any really god studies showing the benefits of a LCD or reduced carbo diet on performace version super high carbs?[/quote]

yea PM me your E-mail and ill send you the Anabolic Diet, its got a lot of info about high fat and its benefits and how man came to be man from that kind of eating.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i cant say anything to my Bio teacher, shes a fucking lunatic cunt. she took 2 points off my final grade and threatened to kick me out for the rest of the semester because we were disecting pigs and they come in a packaging with some kind of preservative juice in them and everyone flushed it, then she got mad about it and im like, well you could have told us.

then this clown is talking about adipose tissue and we were looking at slides at it and shes like well if you go to a doctor and he does a sample and finds a lot of this hell tell you to exercise more or you may be in serious danger. then i say, well you wouldnt need to run some kind of test, its pretty easy to see just by looking at them. then she gets into an argument with me that someone could be fat (im assuming like morbidly fat cause thats what she seemed to be talking about) and you couldnt even tell without some rediculous procedure. so she points to this tiny asian girl next to me and starts using her as an example, like can you tell if shes fat or not? im like well its pretty obvious shes not in danger of dying and she started arguing that since her face isnt sucked in or w/e that she could be somehow hiding tons of blubber…my god i fucking hate her. [/quote]

I want to sit in on one of your classes once, it sounds like y’all have a grand old time.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
i cant say anything to my Bio teacher, shes a fucking lunatic cunt. she took 2 points off my final grade and threatened to kick me out for the rest of the semester because we were disecting pigs and they come in a packaging with some kind of preservative juice in them and everyone flushed it, then she got mad about it and im like, well you could have told us.

then this clown is talking about adipose tissue and we were looking at slides at it and shes like well if you go to a doctor and he does a sample and finds a lot of this hell tell you to exercise more or you may be in serious danger. then i say, well you wouldnt need to run some kind of test, its pretty easy to see just by looking at them. then she gets into an argument with me that someone could be fat (im assuming like morbidly fat cause thats what she seemed to be talking about) and you couldnt even tell without some rediculous procedure. so she points to this tiny asian girl next to me and starts using her as an example, like can you tell if shes fat or not? im like well its pretty obvious shes not in danger of dying and she started arguing that since her face isnt sucked in or w/e that she could be somehow hiding tons of blubber…my god i fucking hate her.

I want to sit in on one of your classes once, it sounds like y’all have a grand old time. [/quote]

my school is fucking rediculous dude.

you want to hear about my Algebra professor? shes this militant fucking cunt who runs the classroom like a fucking fascist. we do homework online and so she asked that if we have questions to either e-mail the problem to her or print it out. so a girl actually copied it with a pen and paper (omgz!) because she didnt have a printer at home and brought it into class. the teacher went on a 10 minute rant (which she does multiple times in class, which takes away question time and makes the whole classroom experience uneasy) then a classmate makes a comment that she (the teacher) is “rediculous” about the whole thing, to which she flips out and leaves the classroom for 10 minutes.

i think it was my first time going to that algebra class and i was late by a couple minutes, like 2. and she made a big deal about it, made a big deal about anyone who would come in late, compeltely taking away from the lecture. the school fucking sucks, theres a few good teachers but theres also a ton of rediculously shitty ones, community college blows.