T Nation

Correcting Muscle Imbalances

I have been training for about 3 years non stop now. I recently started doing single leg romanian deadlifts and noticed that I have more trouble stabilizing myself with my left leg. Are there any exercises I can do to supplement my left leg stabilization? Should I do the supplemental exercises for both legs or just my lagging leg?

I also have a lagging pectoral muscle on my right side and a lagging tricep muscle on my left side. Any suggestions for bringing those muscles up to speed? Also, would you do the supplemental exercises for both sides or just the lagging side?

Do you have trouble only stabilizing the leg? Or is one leg actually stronger than the other? If that is the case, then there really is a muscle imbalance.

If you only have more trouble stabilizing the left leg, that is quite common. Most people are right handed, and right legged. It will improve with practice.

I mostly have trouble stabilizing my left leg which makes me get tired a little quicker. I have been doing a lot of single leg movements lately and have seen some improvement.

Thanks for the advice.

Any advice on my laging pec muscle and laging tricep muscle? My left tricep is laging and my right pec is laging. I notice the lag when I do tricep extensions. My left arm usualy tires out before my right arm. My laging pec is more of a visual thing. my left pec is larger than my right pec.

Well when one arm drops out don’t keep going on the other.

Generally for lagging muscles/weaker bodyparts, add an additional set for that side. Doesn’t work with everything but its a pretty common rule.

[quote]Brett295 wrote:
I mostly have trouble stabilizing my left leg which makes me get tired a little quicker. I have been doing a lot of single leg movements lately and have seen some improvement.

Thanks for the advice.

Any advice on my laging pec muscle and laging tricep muscle? My left tricep is laging and my right pec is laging. I notice the lag when I do tricep extensions. My left arm usualy tires out before my right arm. My laging pec is more of a visual thing. my left pec is larger than my right pec. [/quote]

Both of these are very common in lifters. Don’t neglect unilateral exercises although they are usually not as fun. People usually say to use your weak side first and do the same reps with the stronger side. From personal experience, I suggest doing more sets with the weaker side as well (this will probably be at the end of your workouts). I think it would be best to stay in the hypertrophy zone for reps.

However you should know that 3 years of imbalance won’t be fixed in a month with the suggestions above. You should be patient and just keep doing this in the long run.

my left leg is stronger and more stable then my right,
pec /tri , i have the exact same problem as you, even on bench my right tri stays fairly tucked, but my left goes way out when i lift stuff thats heavy (for me, its nt actually heavy lol)

[quote]Brett295 wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

Any advice on my laging pec muscle and laging tricep muscle? My left tricep is laging and my right pec is laging. I notice the lag when I do tricep extensions. My left arm usualy tires out before my right arm. My laging pec is more of a visual thing. my left pec is larger than my right pec. [/quote]

Perheps your right tricep is overwhelming your right pec in the presses.

But I agree, dumbbell presses en alternating db extensions (lying or seated)