Correcting Mineral Imbalances?

I have read in certain T-Nation articles that it can take months to correct certain mineral imbalances. I would think that the human body would be more proficient and resilient at absorbing and retaining the minerals.

I would think that if one was deficient in iron, magnesium, zinc, calcium, etc, you could just consume a supraphysiologically required dosage for a few days and be back to normal. What gives?

That might be true if you were injecting the minerals instead of digesting them - I guess I don’t know enough about the topic.

[quote]bretc wrote:
I have read in certain T-Nation articles that it can take months to correct certain mineral imbalances. I would think that the human body would be more proficient and resilient at absorbing and retaining the minerals.

I would think that if one was deficient in iron, magnesium, zinc, calcium, etc, you could just consume a supraphysiologically required dosage for a few days and be back to normal. What gives?[/quote]

I’m interested in knowing this as well. I did a little reasearch to see what I could find, but nothing too specific as to how long to correct deficiencys was found.

But I did get a basic answer: Mineral imbalances affect many other nutrients involved. If they are out of balance, or overcompensated, you can get even more problems. I think this is why it takes so long to correct deficiencys, since restoring balance takes longer than simple over-compensation. I say simple, because supplements and compensation have thier own place in dietary needs. A childrens health site has an applicable read on this, or at the least it’s very informative:

http://health.enotes.com/childrens-health-encyclopedia/mineral-deficiency

[quote]bretc wrote:
I would think that the human body would be more proficient and resilient at absorbing and retaining the minerals. [/quote]

Not answering your question really but on the above one could also reason how amazing , strong and adaptive the body is. Able to keep going and fucntion when things are out of balance. Just think if we friggin dropped dead from a simple imbalance.

[quote]Phill wrote:
bretc wrote:
I would think that the human body would be more proficient and resilient at absorbing and retaining the minerals.

Not answering your question really but on the above one could also reason how amazing , strong and adaptive the body is. Able to keep going and fucntion when things are out of balance. Just think if we friggin dropped dead from a simple imbalance.

[/quote]

I agree. My grandfather often references the Irish during the potatoe famine and the Eskimos who consumed mostly whale blubber for a long period of time. I even heard of a guy who survived for over a year eating nothing but popcorn. I wonder what this man’s testosterone levels were at the end of this stint…