T Nation

Correcting Limb/Torso Imbalance

I currently have about 225lbs on my 6’6 frame, but for my legs and arms I should probably weigh around 240.

My limbs are weak and small compared to my torso, for example my bench is about bodyweight but I cannot perform a single dip! Likewise my deadlift is about 1.5x my bodyweight, but can’t do a single pullup.

I’m hoping to increase muscle mass in my limbs, work up to unassisted dips/pullups and maintain my torso. So I’ve put together a program, it’s basically a cross between supersquats and an arm specialization program.

Monday:
1x20 squats (+5 lbs from thursday)
1x20 pullover
Work up to max dip
Work up to max pullup

Tuesday:
3x8 reverse-grip narrow bench
3x8 concentration curl
3x8 pulldown narrow grip
3x8 db triceps extension
ab work

Thursday:
Same as Monday, adding 5lbs to squat

Friday:
3x8 narrow bench (normal grip)
3x8 wide grip bb curl
3x8 wide grip bb row (overhand grip)
3x8 tate triceps press
ab work

Wed/Sat/Sun off-days. Does this program make sense or will I burn out like a supernova? The original supersquat program has three weekly sessions so I’m basically substituting one for 2 arm spec/torso maintenance sessions.

I’ll try to do this for 6-8weeks, eating 4000-5000kcals a day. What are my chances to succeed? Any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks!

Your comparing apples and oranges a DL to pull up. Hell The world recoerd dl is waht 1000+ now I gaurantee his pull up isnt within a few hundred of that its total different musculature, weaknesses etc.

You need to just work damn hard be consistent get stronger everywhere build a great base. In short not flaming but your whole body is the weakness I dont see those # you postd out of line or imbalanced with one another

Id suggest just pick a good program here that addresses everything and do the damn thing bring the intensity and keep bringing it for tears you will quickly be able to do the things you cant now

Phill

I’ve made some very good gains the past 6 months, going from basically scratch to bodyweight bench/squat and 1.5x deadlift. I’m nowhere near strong or buff (I recognize that) but still that my limbs lag behind worries me, both aesthetically and from a strength perspective.

I know that dips/pullups are completely different movements, just trying to make the point that I have a relatively strong shoulders and back, so the weakest link is most likely the arms.

Aren’t specialization programs designed just for this type of scenario? At what point of one’s development is it justifiable to correct the imbalance of size and strength between bodyparts?

Any program you’d recommend?

[quote]Brogan wrote:
I’ve made some very good gains the past 6 months, going from basically scratch to bodyweight bench/squat and 1.5x deadlift. I’m nowhere near strong or buff (I recognize that) but still that my limbs lag behind worries me, both aesthetically and from a strength perspective.

I know that dips/pullups are completely different movements, just trying to make the point that I have a relatively strong shoulders and back, so the weakest link is most likely the arms.

Aren’t specialization programs designed just for this type of scenario? At what point of one’s development is it justifiable to correct the imbalance of size and strength between bodyparts?

Any program you’d recommend?[/quote]

Thats what im trying to say relative to the rest of you you arent out o0f balance. You back and shoulders should be stronger then you arms look at them look at the musculature.

samen with the DL and pull up should be a LOT stronger the core is a BIG body part lots of muscle.

sure specialization programs are to bring up lpaggin Body parts BUT you just started yourt whole body is the lagging part. really not flaming. Put a few years in Just work damn hard on your whole body. If you bench more, row more, etc and add a few isolation at the end your arms will be stronger and bigger.

If you squat more. DL more TC your legs will grow and get stronger.,

The other prob you 225 and 6’6" that height you could easily stand to pack on a lot of weight

Just saying stick to a basic well rounded program and make your whole body stronger
Phill