T Nation

Correct Use of Surge?

I’m confused on how to use surge. right now i have 1 scoop of Surge mixed with water during my workout. then after my workout i have 20g of whey protein and 20 grams of Low-Carb Grow! together in a shake. then an hour later i have grilled chicken (or tuna) and white rice. is this a good plan?

I weigh 170 and my bf is approx 12 percent. I see the Surge bottle recommends 2 scoops but it seems like a lot? does anyone have any recommendations?

Why do people not follow directions and then ask if they’re doing something right?

The first thing you should do is follow the directions on the label.

Then if you want to get fancy, try taking half the serving immediately before or during your workout and take the other half immediately after the workout.

I just take a full serving after training, however.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
Why do people not follow directions and then ask if they’re doing something right?

The first thing you should do is follow the directions on the label.

Then if you want to get fancy, try taking half the serving immediately before or during your workout and take the other half immediately after the workout.

I just take a full serving after training, however.[/quote]

That was my first question too.

It’s like “I’m in week 2 of the Velocity Diet…exept I’m using real food instead of shakes, and donuts instead of flax meal, and I’m taking GNC thermo burn instead of HOT-ROX and I don’t get why I’m not losing weight and I have all these cravings?”

You’re the reason they had to put a warning label on the hair dryer saying “don’t attempt to dry hair in the shower”.

Sethbron, after following the advice above, read two things.

First, use the search engine, or Google if that’s insufficient, and read the articles by Dr. Berardi titled “Solving the Post-Workout Puzzle” or something like that.

Second, read the Triple Shot Roundtable thread:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=577037

Alright, so all i need is 2 scoops of Surge after a workout and then a P+C meal an hour later?

I dunno guys…

Micellar Casein and Tuna are known to be full of hydrolyzed whey and dextrose…

Are you sure you are supposed to follow the Surge label?

Sethbron, please read the stuff I posted. Really, you can answer your own question if you try.

Edit:
Here, I’ve made it even easier for you. Read the links that I posted for blinkstafoo182 in this thread:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=596839&pageNo=0#596909

sethbron,
I’ll try to make this quick and simple, because it is. Eat a meal before your workout(1-2hrs pre). Make sure you eat some protein in this meal. I recommend “longer-lasting” carbs like oats and some fruit, but some will have P+F. Drink 1 serving of Surge or any homemade mix you choose DURING your workout. After your workout, eat a ton of food. Eat tons of carbs and protein. This should be your biggest meal of the day. Rice, oats, potatoes, cereal, skim milk, bananas, honey, protein powder, eggs, chicken, tuna, etc. That’s all you need to do.

[quote]vandalay15 wrote:

I’ll try to make this quick and simple, because it is. Eat a meal before your workout(1-2hrs pre). Make sure you eat some protein in this meal. I recommend “longer-lasting” carbs like oats and some fruit, but some will have P+F. [/quote]

This “makes sense” but (and I’m not trying to bust your balls vandalay) it brings up a common misconception. You don’t need carbs before you work out for “energy”. Your glycogen stores are like a gas tank, so unless you are in a state of absolute ketosis, treat them like a gas tank.

You can fill up aka eat carbs before you work out, or you can re-fill when you get to the destination aka, post-workout. Eating carbs pre-workout actually bumps you out of fat-burning mode, so I would tend towards P+F before workouts, and P+C afterwards.

To answer the initial question, I would drink 1 scoop of Surge during workout and 1 scoop immediately post-workout.

I understand this RITJared, but I prefer to take in carbs pre-workout as it helps performance. I don’t worry about “burning fat” in the gym. I’m there to try lift heavy and be fast. I’m not going to sacrifice performance in the gym to try and burn a little more fat. A hard, heavy workout is far more important, and I believe the improved performance helps w/ muscle gain/fat loss overall. For this very reason I recommend taking the 2 scoops of Surge and drinking them throughout the workout. Then just eat a ton of food after.

I’m with RIT Jared on this one.

I like to have a P + F meal about 2 hours before I’m going to be at the gym, to avoid ‘bonking.’ Then I’ll have a serving of Surge before, and a serving of Surge afterwards, when bulking.

When cutting, I knock it down to half a serving of Surge before and after.

Hope this helps!

I can drink water during my workouts, but I hurl Surge everywhere when I use it during my workouts.

The only time that I didn’t puke Surge back up was when I did EDT, and you get the long rest in the middle.

I’ll drink a Low-Carb Grow! about 2 hours before I train. Anything heavier, or closer to my workout time, and I’ll hurl. There is one exception, I can drink a serving of Power Drive about 30 minutes before, and I won’t get sick. Plus THe Power Drive really helps in focusing on the workout.

Maybe I’m just a big puss.