T Nation

Correct Iodine Supplementation

So I was reading the thyroid basics sticky and realised that I’ve been experiencing a lot of the symptoms of hypothyroidism for a long time, particularly cold extremities.

I most definitely do not get enough iodine, so I’ve decided to supplement it, along with using iodized salt.

I just purchased Lugol’s Iodine 12%:

with the original idea of simply adding a few drops to a glass of water and drinking it. Something is telling me now that this is a bad idea, and I’m wondering whether I should cancel and purchase Iodoral:

My initial thought process was to find something high strength and cheapish. The liquid version fits the bill, offers 300 days worth (at 2 drops per day for 11mg iodine), and I can adjust the dosage as and when, but isn’t really advertised as consumable.

Hope this is the correct place to post. I will also make a thread in the nutrition and supplementation section.

Cheers.

It does not matter how you swallow it.
Both of those products are attempting to be the same thing.

Symptoms:
feeling cold
gaining fat
sparse outer eyebrows
low energy

Some young guys blast through the problems of low thyroid function with sheer will power. But that may create some complicated problems from the stress on the adrenals.

In the UK, I thought that iodine was in milk and dairy. You consume those?

[quote]KSman wrote:
It does not matter how you swallow it.
Both of those products are attempting to be the same thing.

Symptoms:
feeling cold
gaining fat
sparse outer eyebrows
low energy

Some young guys blast through the problems of low thyroid function with sheer will power. But that may create some complicated problems from the stress on the adrenals.

In the UK, I thought that iodine was in milk and dairy. You consume those?[/quote]

Thanks for the input, and sorry for the delayed reply. I had no idea anyone had commented.

I have no idea whether iodine is in milk and dairy, but I have been consuming them my entire life. On average I get around 250-500 ml milk, and maybe a teaspoon or two of butter, per day. I also drink whey protein, but whether or not this has iodine in, I have no idea.

Nevertheless, I have been supplementing half (6.5mg) an Iodoral tablet per day, along with eating a small handful of Brazil nuts (for Selenium), and a multi-vitamin and multi-mineral. Not changes (good or bad) to report yet, after two weeks of this protocol. I am considering switching to an entire Iodoral tab (12.5mg) soon.

As for the symptoms you listed… feeling cold is the main reason I’m investigating. I get cold hands and feet (not just fingers and toes), and sometimes they don’t even warm up during a hard workout. I do gain fat fairly easily. My profile pic may not suggest this, but it took a lot of hard work to lower my body fat to that point, and I have Coeliac disease to contend with. Eyebrows seem fine, and my energy is generally okay, although chronic bouts of depression have plagued me for years (currently the case unfortunately), so psychologically, I often want to skip a workout, or day for that matter. With that said, I rarely do skip them, as the gym is somewhat of a sanctuary, so it helps.

Thanks.

You need to “subscribe” to your thread. Then you will get an email when there is any traffic.

Salt is not a health risk to healthy people, it is excreted.
With heart disease, salt intake is reduced to reduce blood volume to compensate for hardening of the arteries.
From there, there is a silly assumption that salt causes these conditions.

Low thyroid function can easily lower energy levels and create mood/depression issues.

Also make sure that you get lots of Vit-D3. 5000iu suggested.

Thyroid fT3 and Vit-D25 are very important hormones that are routinely ignored.

Coeliac disease can involve GI blood loss that affects your blood. Iron levels can be affected and CBC lab results can show effects of this. An occult blood test can detect blood in your poop. Low ferritin can reduce T4–>T3 conversion. Any labs to post?

Please note the malabsorption issues: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

[quote]KSman wrote:
You need to “subscribe” to your thread. Then you will get an email when there is any traffic.

Salt is not a health risk to healthy people, it is excreted.
With heart disease, salt intake is reduced to reduce blood volume to compensate for hardening of the arteries.
From there, there is a silly assumption that salt causes these conditions.

Low thyroid function can easily lower energy levels and create mood/depression issues.

Also make sure that you get lots of Vit-D3. 5000iu suggested.

Thyroid fT3 and Vit-D25 are very important hormones that are routinely ignored.

Coeliac disease can involve GI blood loss that affects your blood. Iron levels can be affected and CBC lab results can show effects of this. An occult blood test can detect blood in your poop. Low ferritin can reduce T4–>T3 conversion. Any labs to post?

Please note the malabsorption issues: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease
[/quote]

Thanks for the BDA link. I read it through and in theory, I think I’ve easily hit the RDA for iodine for many years. On a daily basis, I’ve always consumed dairy (cows milk and yoghurt), eggs, and meat. Fish seems to be more of a once per week affair, but it’s usually oily fish, as opposed to white.

I have been using iodised salt for the past couple of weeks, but I’ve never been afraid to season my food.

No recent labs to post, although I did get bloods done earlier this year in relation to the cold hands and feet. I went to see my doctor this morning to talk about it, and she looked up my previous records and everything was within normal range, with the emphasis on TSH being normal. She was happy to order more tests, but gave a rather convincing argument against doing so, stating that some people simply have colder hands and feet (she in fact is the same), and given that I have always been this way, the cause for concern is reduced. She also said that I’d be in very poor shape if I’d been living with a malfunctioning thyroid for 6 months, let alone many years. I’m going back in a few weeks so I’ll get a copy of my results and post them here.

With regard to malabsorption… I do use a multi-vitamin and multi-mineral, each claiming to provide 100% RDA for vitamins A, D, E, and K, and nearly everything else, and my diet is well-rounded. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

In your location, you will not have optimal Vit-D levels with the vit-D in your vitamins. That is enough to prevent rickets in children, but that is not enough.

You know something is wrong, but seem to be quick to dismiss suggestions.

Didn’t mean to sound dismissive. I fully appreciate the importance of every nutrient, vitamin, mineral, etc. A high strength Vit D supplement is now on my list. Thinking about it now, I do feel and look much better in the summer. I suppose it’s no coincidence that I spend a lot more time outdoors during that season.

I will do my own research, but if you see this and are willing to comment, what effects should I notice from such a Vit D dose, and how long will it take to see them? I feel a little naive asking, but can something seemingly so trivial cause such issues?

Vit-D is probably something that leads to slow decline and slow recovery. Fundamental processes may improve fast, but cumulative effect might be something else.

Vit-D25=60-80 is considered optimal. Researchers have noted variations with latitude on:

• heart attacks
  • depression
  • MS
  • infections [immune system]
  • cancers and things I cannot recall

Vit-D status affects survival and created Darwinian pressure for lighter skin in populations at higher latitudes. Today, people with darker skins have lower Vit-D25 levels in higher latitudes.

Late winter “blahs” may be Vit-D3 related. Vit-D3 helps with MS flareups that happen that time of year.

Hi KSman,

I would really like to know if 12.5mg of Iodine/ Day is enough for supplementation and / or reloading?

Is this supplementation for life ?? or just till one replenishes his Iodine body stores and then relies on the Iodized Salt?

Thank you

Have you read the topic: thyroid basics explained?
See 2nd post in the one sticky in this forum.
That should cover your question[s].

I was reading through that thread too and saw this: