Correct Form for Good Mornings

I’ve heard so many differing views on good mornings and i want to know once and for all the correct form. Currently I have my knees slightly bent and they stay like that throughout the lift and my back stays straight the whole time which results in a kind of small range of motion.

Is this ok or should I use a longer range of motion and round my back like I’ve read other people do? I’m very hesitant to do that cuz my low back isn’t the best right now.

There are alot of variations for good mornings. I suggest you to pick the ones that you like. My personal favorite is the zercher style while suspended from the pins…

Don’t round your lower back. It should like an RDL but with the bar on your back. Here is a decent pic of the bottom or near bottom position.

Check elitefts.com and you could run a search on here. I’m sure there are some articles on here with a description.

You will find people doing them different ways depending on what they are trying to hit… the key points to remember are big air in your belly, hips back, weight on your heals(you should almost feel like you are going to fall back)… As far as stance, practice wide and narrow and see what you like at first.

Also some people round their upper back and go down lower, others arch hard and limit their range of motion but add more weight. As long as you are keeping your lower back straight with air in your belly it shouldnt matter. Watch a bunch of vids on elite and youtube and decide for yourself what you like the best.

good advice from Tim.

Aside from losing tightness on the last rep, are these okay looking?

Well, there should also be a lot more weight on the bar, but that will come with time.

Thanks

Here is a vid of me doing a good morning into a drop snatch.

Yeah, that’s pretty good. You stay back and you don’t turn it into a quarter squat, which is a temptation when the weight gets high. Good. Back is straight, which is the real killer. You want to really concentrate on firing the hips through to get out of the hole and complete the lift. Also you can think about “spreading the floor” to get an extra tension in your hips and hamstrings–this will help you fire even stronger. Of course, with a narrow stance the “spreading the floor” feeling won’t necessarily be pronounced, but it’s good to think about it anyway.

Good job.

[quote]Krollmonster wrote:
Here is a vid of me doing a good morning into a drop snatch.

Good Morning into Drop Snatch 100kg/ 220 lbs x 2 reps. - YouTube [/quote]

That is badass… Im gonna have to try that out.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Yeah, that’s pretty good. You stay back and you don’t turn it into a quarter squat, which is a temptation when the weight gets high. Good. Back is straight, which is the real killer. You want to really concentrate on firing the hips through to get out of the hole and complete the lift. Also you can think about “spreading the floor” to get an extra tension in your hips and hamstrings–this will help you fire even stronger. Of course, with a narrow stance the “spreading the floor” feeling won’t necessarily be pronounced, but it’s good to think about it anyway.

Good job. [/quote]

Thanks Aragorn.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
Don’t round your lower back. [/quote]

X2!