Correct Angle for Bent Over Rows

What is the correct angle for a bent over barbell row? Should it be 90 or 45 as I’ve seen both

47.53489 degrees. Exactly. Otherwise the exercise does nothing. If you get the angle wrong the stress moves from your bicepazoids to your gluticept. Which is bad!!

2 Likes

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
47.53489 degrees. Exactly. Otherwise the exercise does nothing. If you get the angle wrong the stress moves from your bicepazoids to your gluticept. Which is bad!! [/quote]

Where’d you get that? I read somewhere that the correct angle is 69.78 - 1.02x - 0.76 x^2 - 3.68y - 8.65z degrees, where x is your height in meters, y is the length of your latissimus dorsi from origin to insertion, and z is your weight in metric tons.

1 Like

IMHO, you should be about 60 degrees from vertical, or in other words, 30 degrees above horizontal. Too many people in the gym stand nearly straight up, use way too much weight, and perform some type of contorted shrugging movement.

Find the angle that works best for you. I personally prefer more of a 90 degree angle.

[center][photo]236[/photo][/center]

I’m with nate. 90 or just slightly above, and it should stay there, one rep shouldn’t include a whole range of angles.

There was an article regarding back training (specifically rowing) recently posted on T-Nation by Mike Robertson.

Check it out.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1744957&cr=bodybuilding

I like to do mine at little over 45 degrees. Thats where I can use the most weight. For the last set I go lighter and bend over more. I do cable rows too so I hit my back with that 90 angle using those. I love BB rows. Its my strongest lift genetically.

thanks

[quote]Hagar wrote:
I like to do mine at little over 45 degrees. Thats where I can use the most weight. For the last set I go lighter and bend over more. I do cable rows too so I hit my back with that 90 angle using those. I love BB rows. Its my strongest lift genetically. [/quote]

I agree with this dude. If I wanna go heavy, gotta stand up a little more. Can’t go heavy bent over at 90 degrees because of the nature of having no support on your chest.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Hagar wrote:
I like to do mine at little over 45 degrees. Thats where I can use the most weight. For the last set I go lighter and bend over more. I do cable rows too so I hit my back with that 90 angle using those. I love BB rows. Its my strongest lift genetically.

I agree with this dude. If I wanna go heavy, gotta stand up a little more. Can’t go heavy bent over at 90 degrees because of the nature of having no support on your chest. [/quote]

This angle is not optimal for lat development, but it is a decent trap exercise.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Find the angle that works best for you. I personally prefer more of a 90 degree angle.

[center][photo]236[/photo][/center][/quote]

150lbs of pure beast!

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
deanosumo wrote:
47.53489 degrees. Exactly. Otherwise the exercise does nothing. If you get the angle wrong the stress moves from your bicepazoids to your gluticept. Which is bad!!

Where’d you get that? I read somewhere that the correct angle is 69.78 - 1.02x - 0.76 x^2 - 3.68y - 8.65z degrees, where x is your height in meters, y is the length of your latissimus dorsi from origin to insertion, and z is your weight in metric tons.[/quote]

Iv gotta hand it to you, that was pretty good.

If you are doing a 45 degree bent over row, you arent doing a 45 degree bent over row, because you are never over as far as you think you are. Then, this exercise turns into a bastardized bent-over shrug hybrid which if you critically look at the muscles that are doing the work it is the upper middle to upper traps primarily. These muscles are very easy to work, grow very easily, and increase in strength extremely quickly. That is why people do rows with form like that, because of one reason. It is easy. Why dont people get to a 25 degree angle and do 1 arm rows if shitty form on a bent row is so great than it should be good for a 1 arm row too, because it would require more effort, not less, and you would be lifting less weight not more. You dont think about it but if you translated some people’s version of a bent over row to a seated cable row they would be almost lying straight back. Dont make excuses for your shitty form or call people pussies because you are too lazy to do an exercise the correct way.

There are the famous pictures of Arnold bent over rowing 225 with excellent form it looks like. Where does your muscular development stack up to his? Even if you are doing 135 with good form that is nothing to sneeze at, well for 5 reps it is, but you get my drift. Here is an example of a ridiculously strong dickhead that could benefit much more from doing a correct row with 250-300. 300lb bent over row! That is exceptional! Instead he looks like this.

And remember the word is bent over, let me know if you see anything bent over in this video.

good form in that vid… lol.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
If you are doing a 45 degree bent over row, you arent doing a 45 degree bent over row, because you are never over as far as you think you are.
[/quote]

Maybe for you bub but not for me. My gym has mirrors and from working as a carpenter much of life, I know my angles better than most people.

Either way I do these for upper back development and thickness and the way I do them, which is how many high level bodybuilders do them, has worked great for me.

Ill just go in between 45 and 90? ok great

[quote]Hagar wrote:
Shadowzz4 wrote:
If you are doing a 45 degree bent over row, you arent doing a 45 degree bent over row, because you are never over as far as you think you are.

Maybe for you bub but not for me. My gym has mirrors and from working as a carpenter much of life, I know my angles better than most people.

Either way I do these for upper back development and thickness and the way I do them, which is how many high level bodybuilders do them, has worked great for me.
[/quote]

Your lazy. Many high level bodybuilders do smith machine deadlifts and stick needles and their ass. Have fun.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:

Your lazy. Many high level bodybuilders do smith machine deadlifts and stick needles and their ass. Have fun.

[/quote]

Wow

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:

[/quote]

Your lazy what?

Where do you get off being so sanctimonious; if the guy is progressing performing the exercise the way he wants, why does that upset you?

I for one do not give a flying toss how people perform their exercises, it is none of my business.