Corporations and Food, Money, Finances

It is an easy 4 step proccess I like to call “The Seouldier’s Store Ethics Test”.

Step 1: look at store.

Step 2: Can I use anything from this store? (if “yes” proceed to step 3, if “no” go to a different location and repeat step 1)

Step 3: Has this store in debate done anything I would consider unethical? (If “yes” refer to directions to “no in step 2”, if the answer is “no” proceed to step 4)

Step 4: Enter store and make purchase.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:

I WILL however, agree that the food industry is SERIOUSLY FUCKED UP. There are more chemicals and preservatives and dyes pumped into our food and beverages than I am comfortable with. But again, while it definitely IS more of a pain in the ass, people can CHOOSE to buy locally produced food. There are farmers markets all over the place on certain days, so you don’t even have to travel outside of the city. There are options. But, do you know the main reason why corporations exist and our food supply is tainted? BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE STUPID. They are irresponsible and have no accountability for their actions (or lack of action) and are indifferent to any issue that isn’t simultaneously directly affecting them and right in their face. They are too distracted my Media and the general pursuit of entertainment to care about anything you are saying.

So fuck 'em. Let them die of cancer and be entertained. Anyone with a brain will have figured out what to eat and what not to eat. Survival of the fittest - it isn’t YOUR job to protect society from themselves… [/quote]

Agreed

To expand - The market is a reflection, a reflection of the wants/needs/desires of the consuming public. If the majority of the food on the market is crap it is either because the majority of people don’t care or the trade off between cost/quality is not worth it for them(in their own subjective opinion).

Anyone who “blames” business for providing xyz is looking at only the PROXIMATE cause and not the ULTIMATE cause.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

[quote]thick88 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Corporations create and bring to market things that people are willing to work and pay for. They are not “taking control.”

You can try to create your own cell phone and cell phone network, or you can buy an iphone, droid phone or what have you.

You can plant your own garden, build a chicken coup and raise some cows, or you can go to the super market and buy everything you need for a week in an hour.

I guess you could pump your own oil or ride a home made bicycle everywhere, or you could buy a car and some gas…

Nobody makes you buy shit or even work for that matter. You choose to because it is smart to spend 40 hrs per week working to buy all the things you need and want instead of working a farm for like 80 hours a week just to survive a meager existence.

When corporations start forcing you to buy things against your will you can have an argument. Until then, put down the RATM cd’s and be happy you live in a time where 40 hours of soft work gives you the most comfortable life a human has ever had in all of history. [/quote]
I agree with most of this, no doubt that modern life is indeed cushy compaired to most of human history. . . however hunter/gatherers worked/work an average of about 15 hours a week to provide sustenance for the entire familly.

Whatever though, I’m not giving up movies, & my playstation, & thai food, &. . . . [/quote]

Even at $10/hour, assuming a budget of $300/month ($75/week) on food, that’s 7.5 hours/week for sustenance.[/quote]
HaHa! excellent point! I was referring to hardcore farming, but I like your 7 hours a week even better.

[quote]Simon Adebisi wrote:

Yeah, gotta agree with beans on this one. The “financial corporations” didn’t FORCE idiots working at Wendy’s or Walmart to lie on their loan applications and STATE that they made 80K a year to qualify for a 350K house, sign that shit, and then walk away from the house because they couldn’t afford it in the first place…

The other half these idiots aren’t walking away because they cant afford it, they’re walking away because the house depreciated and they know that if they just short sell or foreclose, they can buy the SAME exact house in three years for 150K cheaper than what they currently have, and have a lower interest rate…

But you will argue they were deceived, right? If you are stupid enough to sign a bunch of paper that you don’t understand, or agreed to an ARM, then who do you have to blame but YOURSELF? But people are “victims” here, right? It’s ALL the “evil corporations” fault, right? Give me a break, dude. People are stupid.
[/quote]

How many people do you know that work at Wendy’s or Walmart that got approved for a mortgage loan, slick?[/quote]

PLENTY back in 2004 - 2007. Ever heard of a SISA (stated income, stated asset) loan? How about a a NINJA (no income, no job, no asset) loan? They were mostly 2/28 ARM products. Wanna know how they got approved? Because as long as they met a certain credit score threshold (it was 500 for a SISA back in the day) and had a pulse they qualified. How many people do I know that did this? Hundreds - sure, some of them worked at McDonald’s and not Wendy’s and some of them worked at the Olive Garden and not Walmart, but I was making a point. It was THIS quality borrower that later defaulted on their mortgage after the ARM they agreed to adjusted, which is what CAUSED the products to perform poorly on the secondary, which ultimately led to Bear Sterns’ collapse which started the whole implosion. I’ve been a loan officer since 2004 and started off in a sub-prime broker shop, Slick.

So you started off making a living robbing poor people with sub-prime loans, Buster?

So you started off making a living robbing poor people with sub-prime loans, Buster?[/quote]

No, I said that I WORKED at a sub prime broker shop. I was an electrician before I started doing loans so my referral base was from blue collar guys that had stable jobs. I don’t and have never committed loan fraud and have always referred out clients that are full of shit. As a result, I have quality clients that give me quality referrals (interesting how that works, huh?). That’s why I’m still in the mortgage business, and didn’t quit like 90% of the other shitty loan officers that were making an easy buck by robbing poor people.

Any more assumptions that need clearing up? Or is your ego so big that you just cant admit that you took a shot at me regarding something you don’t have a fucking clue about so you jump to straw man and character assassination… Buster…

(or we can proceed to entertain ourselves by continuing the conversation and ending it with “guy”, “friend”, “pal”, etc… But let’s not, mmm-kay? Buddy… LOL)

Oh Boy! It’s gonna turn into on of those threads!

Straw man, ego…your choice in T-Nation forum overused words.
I prefer the latter option of ending the posts with random br0 terms…okay, Chief?
=)

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
[/quote]

Nah, I’m done. These days you can’t go five posts with out some asshat derailing shit. Fucking trolls. This used to be a cool place to hang out.

T-Nation.
Serious bizniss, Hoss.

Straw man, ego…your choice in T-Nation forum overused words.
I prefer the latter option of ending the posts with random br0 terms…okay, Chief?
=)[/quote]

Have a good night, <>, I’m to tired to think anymore.

You too, Slim.

[quote]streamline wrote:

When the fast food corporations make their food suppliers produce foods in an unhealthy manner. Such as feeding cows corn. Then pumping them full of antibiotics. Using radioactive [/quote]

You realize the whole corn feeding animals thing is the goverments fault right? When you have so many subsidies on corn (tax breaks that the american people are paying for), that farmers have no reason not to grow it, the corn market prices get so low that you figure out ways to use cheap food (feed, HFCS, ect) that would have otherwise not made business sense without the cheap prices brought on by subsidies.

Do you know why the bill on a farmers hat is curved? It’s from looking in his mail box for his goverment check every month.

[quote]thick88 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Corporations create and bring to market things that people are willing to work and pay for. They are not “taking control.”

You can try to create your own cell phone and cell phone network, or you can buy an iphone, droid phone or what have you.

You can plant your own garden, build a chicken coup and raise some cows, or you can go to the super market and buy everything you need for a week in an hour.

I guess you could pump your own oil or ride a home made bicycle everywhere, or you could buy a car and some gas…

Nobody makes you buy shit or even work for that matter. You choose to because it is smart to spend 40 hrs per week working to buy all the things you need and want instead of working a farm for like 80 hours a week just to survive a meager existence.

When corporations start forcing you to buy things against your will you can have an argument. Until then, put down the RATM cd’s and be happy you live in a time where 40 hours of soft work gives you the most comfortable life a human has ever had in all of history. [/quote]
I agree with most of this, no doubt that modern life is indeed cushy compaired to most of human history. . . however hunter/gatherers worked/work an average of about 15 hours a week to provide sustenance for the entire familly.

Whatever though, I’m not giving up movies, & my playstation, & thai food, &. . . . [/quote]

They also ate worms, bugs, what ever berries they could find and if they happened to kill big game it was a celebration. Plus they lived in mud huts or tents and died in their twenties.

The extra 25 hours per week we work allow us the thai food you mentioned, steak, any mixture of berries we want during any season of the year… sturdy climate controlled shelters, vehicles…

I guess you could get yourself a tent, pitch it in a park and scavenge worms. Corporations have not taken that freedom from any one. But then, you wouldn’t have your ps3, movies or a girlfriend ever.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
^it’s way better to hunt and pick berries (sporadicly and not 12hr per day like some unlucky people) than to have a shitty modern factory job. And what you wrote is calculated for someone is North America and doesnt account for everything you have to pay to live in this society that you wouldnt have to in the stone age.

A big part of humanity that no one thinks about stuck in bidonvilles and in overpopulated messy megalopolis would be better in the stone age. Right now there is a famine in Somalia. Too much people, too little land and ressource. (Just waiting for some christian asshat to tell me that they need to get more crowded). I am sure that they would be like to be teleported to the stone age.

Furthermore no one knows if the lives of an individuals in the past was better or worse than our individual life. It is a pretty big generalisation to say that life sucked for everyone before the fifties (when big corp. started to take over).

Our food production and distrobution system could be A LOT better. Dont forget that on top of everything more than 50% of the food is wasted. [/quote]

And you have the freedom to pick all the berries you want. Corporations have not stolen that from you. I personally enjoy going to the local grocer and picking all the berries I want for a week, hunt all the meet I will need, harvest all the grains, even buy some treats in an hour regardless of the season.

And what do you really have to pay to live? You need food and shelter. You can exist pretty cheaply if you choose.

What the fuck is a bidonville?

I know I’ve broken bones, needed stitches, had tooth aches… with out modern medicine and the corporations that manufacture it, I would have developed some serious chronic pains by now, and I don’t even chase buffalo on horse back. I live a comparably low risk life. I don’t host parasites in my body, I live in a climate controlled shelter… I have been hunting and camping. While fun, I enjoy my ac and heat. I also know new inventions (our current standards of comfortable living were once innovative and new) stick because people prefer them to what they had… probably all that needs to be said which again shows people choose to buy products offered by corporations.

As far as wasted food, every deer and berry in the forest would have been potential food back when. How many died uneaten? Probably like 99.9%

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
[/quote]

Nah, I’m done. These days you can’t go five posts with out some asshat derailing shit. Fucking trolls. This used to be a cool place to hang out. [/quote]

Dang. Some of these arguments turn out to be pretty informative from a practical/experiential standpoint. Your insights into the housing/loan markets definitely helped me to make an informed decision when buying a house.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
^it’s way better to hunt and pick berries (sporadicly and not 12hr per day like some unlucky people) than to have a shitty modern factory job. And what you wrote is calculated for someone is North America and doesnt account for everything you have to pay to live in this society that you wouldnt have to in the stone age.

A big part of humanity that no one thinks about stuck in bidonvilles and in overpopulated messy megalopolis would be better in the stone age. Right now there is a famine in Somalia. Too much people, too little land and ressource. (Just waiting for some christian asshat to tell me that they need to get more crowded). I am sure that they would be like to be teleported to the stone age.

Furthermore no one knows if the lives of an individuals in the past was better or worse than our individual life. It is a pretty big generalisation to say that life sucked for everyone before the fifties (when big corp. started to take over).

Our food production and distrobution system could be A LOT better. Dont forget that on top of everything more than 50% of the food is wasted. [/quote]

And you have the freedom to pick all the berries you want. Corporations have not stolen that from you. I personally enjoy going to the local grocer and picking all the berries I want for a week, hunt all the meet I will need, harvest all the grains, even buy some treats in an hour regardless of the season.

And what do you really have to pay to live? You need food and shelter. You can exist pretty cheaply if you choose.

I know I’ve broken bones, needed stitches, had tooth aches… with out modern medicine and the corporations that manufacture it, I would have developed some serious chronic pains by now, and I don’t even chase buffalo on horse back. I live a comparably low risk life. I don’t host parasites in my body, I live in a climate controlled shelter… I have been hunting and camping. While fun, I enjoy my ac and heat. I also know new inventions (our current standards of comfortable living were once innovative and new) stick because people prefer them to what they had… probably all that needs to be said which again shows people choose to buy products offered by corporations.

As far as wasted food, every deer and berry in the forest would have been potential food back when. How many died uneaten? Probably like 99.9% [/quote]

1 billion persons live in this, 1 person in 6 or one third of the urban population. ‘‘You always have the freedom to pick all the berries you want and hunt! lol’’

I am kind of straying away from corporation and finance but those people would have been better in the stone age.

Now you say that uneaten animal are wasted food…I am not going to adress this . I will just say that I am not surprised to hear this from someone who lives in Texas.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

1 billion persons live in this, 1 person in 6 or one third of the urban population. ‘‘You always have the freedom to pick all the berries you want and hunt! lol’’

I am kind of straying away from corporation and finance but those people would have been better in the stone age.
[/quote]

By ‘better’, do you mean ‘starved to death?’ Hunting and gathering could not nearly support all those people you profess to care about.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]jasmincar wrote:

As far as wasted food, every deer and berry in the forest would have been potential food back when. How many died uneaten? Probably like 99.9% [/quote]

Now you say that uneaten animal are wasted food…I am not going to adress this . I will just say that I am not surprised to hear this from someone who lives in Texas. [/quote]

Nobody makes them live there. Stone age people travelled with the seasons. These people can choose to wander too. Berries for picking do exist in the world and on all continents.

And the stone age mans forest is my grocery store. The grocery store is a highly efficient hunting ground if you ask me.

Some meat gets left on the shelf, some deer are left in the forest. Same shit. Keep it apples to apples if you are going to criticize distribution channel efficiency.

And, if any one were to spend the time and money on increasing distribution and decreasing waste, it would be a corporation in the name of profits.

I am not sure where everyone is getting their information from, but it’s not the same place as me. If anyone truly wants to no what the fuck really went down. From the beginning, step by step. Watch the documentary “Inside Job” by Charles Ferguson. You can watch it free online. This film is narrated by Matt Damon and was made after the fact. If you want to hear from those who saw the bubble for exactly what it was. Check out the Zeitgeistmovie.com they called it before it happened.

Next I think a look at the documentary “Food Inc.” There are others but this one will do.

I for one am very selective about everything that goes in my body. I prefer to practice preventive medicine, but I have nothing against modern medicine. I just don’t think it’s the only way.

As for investing, well you watch those documentaries and then tell me how you feel about trusting your money to unregulated businesses.

Here’s one to choke down. An investment company tells a pension plan who are looking for sound investments. (Pension plans can only invest in “AAA stock”) That they have some triple A stock that is a great investment. While at the same time investing in dividend stocks on those same stocks failing.

Many here think people have an option. Think again, globe market crashes effect everyone. Even those being careful have a hard time dealing with crooks.

Yes we can, and most smart ones do shop at local markets. I like shopping local, it keeps my money local and feeds the local economy to a greater degree. Just like air and water pollution you can’t run away from it. You have to try and fix the problem.