Coronavirus - What Happened?

I know there exists indoor golf setups, I think this is just outdoors. Still, I have never been to the place. The provincial government was initially giving the police lockdown period powers to stop people walking down the street or driving and drill them down as to exactly why they are outside. There was pushback, so that softened.

The idea is to really leave Covid-19 with as little avenue for infecting as possible. I think the Premier was listening to his medical consultants.

Yeah, sounds like you’re in full lockdown. GCs should be one of the first things to open back up though.

On a side note, my company is offering 10 free PTO hours for employees to get vaxxed and deal with any side effects. Just more confirmation that I REALLY like the owners, and working at this firm. When people bitch about their jobs and bosses, I pretty much never have anything to add from my end.

1 Like

Unintended consequences caused by capitalistic leveraging of parents fears. Schools should be ballin’ on a budget and stick to the tried and true “open the damn windows and doors, and turn a few fans on” like we did back in my day. Im pretty sure the tablets every kid has nowadays wont blow away like the paper we used.

But really. this whole crises just continues to prove to me that 100% of people putting in 50% effort is better than 50% of people putting in 0 effort and 50% putting in 100% effort. If we all could have just done the easy things we would have been better off economically, socially, and medically.

2 Likes

Same can be often said of political leveraging of parental fears. But I agree

Coincidentally, I just got an air purifier. It was for my seasonal allergies, not COVID. It was my wife’s idea. I realized a DIY one with a box fan and HEPA filter would work way better.

The “negative ion” shit has been proven to be ineffective like 2 decades ago because they would have to produce far too much ozone to actually work. They still bought that shit?

1 Like
1 Like

It’s about time. There’s no telling how much COVID he’s responsible for spreading. It was like he had a fully automatic AR14 spraying thousands of bullets from its clip, into Canadian citizens. :cry:

“You’re full of shit
 If you yelled fire, that’s not free speech.”

1 Like

Don’t get the others on this board started.

Holy Shit! The “You Can Do It Guy” from the Adam Sandler movies lol

1 Like

Dammit man, this is why we can’t have nice things :(.

I mean I get it. I’m sick of wearing a mask. I Don’t really have a problem saying the government response was either messed up (definitely) or overwrought (debatable but ok).

And I don’t think we should live in fear (but consideration for others less strong/brave is important)

But I don’t think something that has killed 600,000 Americans in a little over a year is “bullshit”.

1 Like

I think Rob’s speaking in response to that media release by the CDC that transmission rates in outdoor settings were at least an order of magnitude (and upto many, many orders of magnitude) out from what they were advising - based on awful assumptions.

This means lockdowns were not helpful and outdoor mask wearing wasn’t either (something @chris_ottawa was saying for a long time and took flack for, so deserves apologies from some).

The usual protections citizens have to speak out about this have been undermined so it is also a nice reminder that sometimes if you don’t pay the price that speaking out costs, you could end up paying a different price.

1 Like

Maybe so, I don’t follow him or anyone on social media so I couldn’t say. The tone of the post just seems awfully amped up (and all caps) for me.

I haven’t seen the release yet since I’ve been on other topics in reading lately, but it wouldn’t surprise me. I was never convinced that outdoor transmission in open, uncrowded spaces like parks and lakes was a factor.

That said, I think highly crowded streets like NYC foot traffic and lines in stores and such are different animals. I don’t have any data to verify that, just based on intuition. We would need to check out that transmission rate specifically as opposed to parks.

Not sure what you mean about the first part of this sentence but the last part is always an important reminder.

1 Like

Covered well in (part of) this post:

Figure you’ve read this already so save some double dipping :grin:

2 Likes

I think all of this varies among different countries. Different cultures, governance, compliance, social shit etc. It worked pretty well in Asia to control the earlier waves. Governments can’t just look at what works well on paper and in other countries when enacting policies.

FTR I’m not for lockdowns for various reasons that have nothing to do with politics although I can’t deny their efficacy in the short to mid terms in countries with very high rates of compliance.

The economic repercussions, for example, wouldn’t justify lockdowns in countries with lower rates of compliance. Even when effective in countries with higher rates, there are other aspects to consider which may adversely affect the long term.

2 Likes

This thread is the political arm of the Covid-19 posting, thus I put this here:

I feel like the school child who was picked last for the class soccer game. We are the one out of the G7 who hasn’t committed to vaccinating the whole world.

1 Like

Is canuckistan the furthest behind in vaccinating their own populace of all the G7 countries? If so, i can understand the hesitance. If not, thats not a great look.

Just off the top I think i read, we have 70% of I think adults having a first dose. Somewhere around 11% the second.

there is government talk of giving second shots sooner, unless Astra-Zeneca.

Pheww! I think we are now square.

One issue this article mentions is that Canada is less enthusiastic about waiving patents protections and is more into distribution and transferring technology.

1 Like

Sorry to derail this (Chris hasn’t posted in PWI in a while anyway) thread, but I have a supply of Creatine monohydrate. The instructions say to take 5g preworkout, 5g post, and a customer service person said it isn’t useful on off days.

is this the latest nutrition science?