Coronavirus - What Happened?

There is a fine line between freedom and irresponsibility these days, and some people just don’t see it.

2 Likes

100% agreed there!

2 Likes

Hey man, thank you for the kind words. Will be praying for your swift recovery.

If there’s anything that I’ve learned from this pandemic (well, except that people don’t get non-linearity) is that it’s very dangerous to try to predict someone else’s adherence to public health measures and personal responsibility.

Many people have surprised me both positively and negatively and I’ve lost some friends along the way ("You’re wearing a mask in front of ME? What, do you thing I’m contagious" kind of thing).

3 Likes

Even nursing home residents are getting fed up and would rather take their chances with the virus.

Maybe the solution is to take people who are scared and put them in internment camps so the rest of us can continue with our lives. Nursing homes basically are internment camps right now, at least people should have the right to decide what they want.

If a person is severely injured or terminally ill and given a COVID test in the hospital then their family can’t visit them until the results come back, which in most parts of Canada can take around 5-6 days. They could be dead by then, and people in hospitals are just randomly being tested, then forced to die alone with nobody but masked medical staff around.

1 Like

Yep. Voluntary internment camps definitely seem like the way to go. Of course, they’ve always been an option for everyone.

Better it’s the coronaphobes in there than the rest of us. Canada already has some shady plans to build COVID isolation camps across the country, sounds like the USSR and their gulags:

The Government of Canada (GoC) is considering engaging a Third Party Service Provider for Federal Quarantine / Isolation sites that will be used to house and care for people for public health and other related federal requirements associated with the COVID-19 pandemic response.

See Ontario MPP Randy Hillier get evasive answers before they shut him down at the provincial legislature when he asks about it:

1 Like

Oh relax. This is being done in lots of countries in Asia. The Hong Kongers used unsold government flats for quarantine centers with wifi and shit. And it was the PEOPLE in HK calling for it because lots of dipshits broke their mandatory home quarantine orders and stupidly posted pictures of themselves outdoors on social media. Hell, they even put some people up in luxury hotels for 2 weeks to serve out their mandatory 2 week quarantine in Singapore lol.

Whom I think this will encompass will be:

1. All travelers into the country.
  2. All non-symptomatic COVID patients and their close contacts.

The duration will probably be 2 weeks. If they have the resources to test everyone not confirmed to have the virus(travelers, close contacts) after the mean incubation period, it could even be less.

The dumbasses just shouldn’t have called these quarantine facilities “isolation camps”.

1 Like

The same ones protesting against China taking over

Nobody called for it here

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet

Yup. The fact that they don’t equate this to commie camps should mean something, don’t you think?

I understand. It’s a cultural difference. You guys obviously think much differently. All I was saying is this isn’t some “Russian gulag” shit going on.

1 Like

It’s a step or two away

I really don’t think so. What if the government put all of them in 5 star hotels with room service and shit? The intent would still be the same.

A beautiful prison is still a prison. You get room service in jail when you are on lockdown.

Alright, fair enough. I kinda see your point but I don’t agree with it.

Let’s just agree to disagree.

Thanks sir. How are your relatives? I know you said it was touch and go, been thinking about it but didn’t want to say anything too early.

You’re not wrong on either count. Exponential growth is inherently hard to get for most.

1 Like

Part of the problem is the the WHO and friends screwed up early by telling people not to wear masks at all, changing their stance and convincing everyone that they are right this time is not an easy sell. Also the test is terrible, I almost puked and jumped out of my chair when they tried to do the throat swab on me and the nurses were about to call security. Not only that but they didn’t even get it deep enough they said. The nasal swab isn’t much better and a lot of people get nosebleeds.

Bill Gates says he funded research showing that having the patient swab just inside the nose is equally effective as the standard options, and it would make people much more willing to get it done. Also there is a saliva test that is not yet approved for some reason. Gates said that anyone still using nasal or throat swabs is behind the times.

They’re alive. Honestly, I’m surprised that the infection severity seems arbitrary as well as the subsequent consequences. My mother-in-law who weighs 265 and eats chocolate for breakfast got of relatively lightly with a two day stay in the hospital and no apparent long haul issues.

My father-in-law on the other hand, a lean, sinewy old dude who used to be a competitive distance runner back in the day and regularly biked with his geriatric buddies fared much worse.

He was five days in the ICU, twelve days hospital in total and he’s a shell of his former self, not to mention he had a myocardial infection to boot. A person who last winter skied with my kids for days now couldn’t climb the stairs in his house more than once per day. We’ve moved them to a specialized nursing home and I think they’ll keep living there.

It’s just a reminder that outcomes aren’t binary.

You still doing ok?

2 Likes

I’ve found this way of explaining it to people the most effective:

“This whole shitshow was started by ONE dipshit who decided to eat a bat. ONE.”

They usually get it.

2 Likes

That’s very sad to hear mate, but I am glad they are at least both still with you. Losing a family member when you can’t even say goodbye is awful.

I am doing very well actually, thanks for asking. I had persistent dizziness for about 4 days straight, but no temperature and my spO2 never dropped below 95%. It has now been 7 days since exposure, so I think if I were to develop serious symptoms they would already be here. Moderate fatigue, moderate headache for 3 days, no shortness of breath or cough. I did have some rather scary pains “down south”, which have been reported, but fortunately not severe or long.

I very much appreciate the thoughts and prayers from yourself and @treco, @Legalsteel, and even @chris_ottawa for his encouragement even though we’re frequently at odds on this virus situation.

I am bored out of my mind. I should be re-reading some of my favorite tomes but I’m so bored I can’t concentrate on them (that’s rare). Like when you’re so tired you can’t sleep.

I am too. This will remain, I think, one of the more stubborn mysteries associated with this virus. Currently I don’t think anyone has more than guesses as to why that might be.

The same was true with a couple younger friends of mine–a roofer and his wife. The wife is immunocompromised and we were really worried about her getting it. The guy is basically the type of puke-and-rally flu fighter that everyone hates. He gets the flu for about 8 hours and then kills it. I think he’s been sick once in maybe 10 years.

She got it first from a relative, and basically slept for a couple days and then was normal. He got put on his ass, hard. Could barely walk, meningitis type pounding head ache for 2 days straight, body aches, everything you can think of.

I’m grateful she didn’t get sent to the hospital and that she’s fine, but it surprised the heck out of me.

I have a very unscientific guess as to one factor that may determine severity, and it is that people who are used to operating at high efficiency aerobically may be at more risk for long term fatigue or lung damage than those used to anaerobic metabolism.

I have nothing solid to base this on except anecdote, but it seems to track with some research about altitude sickness or “acute mountain sickness” in alpine climbers–there was a study that compared endurance trained runners vs control untrained people and tried to look at the onset of AMS, symptoms, etc.

What they found was that trained endurance athletes had onset much quicker and reported worse symptoms. In this case both groups normalized, but it was certainly surprising. I believe the authors’ hypothesis mirrors my own, as they believe results may be partially explained by endurance athletes being aerobically dominant in metabolism, and thus more quickly affected by reduced oxygen at altitude initially. This would track with my anecdotal experience on Kilimanjaro and other mountains.

2 Likes

You’re a beast, mate. You’ll shrug this off like a bad hangover.

Try some popcorn fiction instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Rising-Pierce-Brown/dp/034553980X

Jesus, that’s absolutely awful. What a ghastly plague this is.

2 Likes

Thank you very kindly sir. Stay away from this stuff!

This I might be able to do. I know I’m in trouble when neither A. Conan Doyle’s compendiums, Lord Tennyson’s poetics, or Sir Churchill’s History of the English Speaking Peoples can hold my interest for more than a few minutes.

Maybe junk food books are the solution! I can’t bring myself to watch TV.

1 Like