Coronavirus and The Fitness Equipment Industry

Don’t need friends if u have a home gym. The weights is always loyal

1 Like

Ha, very true! Screw human interaction!

Squat rack with Texas Power Bar
Texas Power Bar for deadlifts (are they the ones that make them?)
Lat pulldown/seated cable row combo
Straight bar
GHR
Reverse Hyper
0-90 degree adjustable bench
5-150lb DB’s

Theres talks of some states opening up gyms May 1. I think privately owned gyms should have been allowed to be open with the 10 person recommendation

When I see fitness equipment sellers price gouging, I think alot of them are idiots who don’t know how much their stuff is worth. The only reason their stuff is still for sale is because nobody’s gonna buy it at that price, they’re better off doing air squats and pushups.

Garagegymlab on IG has posts of price gougers - people charging 1200 dollars for a rack worth 400 dollars, 150 for a “deadlift platform” which is a square of ply wood and two mats (not even connected), rusty plates for $300 dollars, or selling used bumpers at $0.30/oz.

They’re idiots and I have confidence in most people that they have the common sense not to buy. I was told in a comment under a post that I “want everything for free and don’t believe in free market” by somebody trying to justify it.

Did you tell them you only want your chicks for free? Maybe it’s not too late.

1 Like

I want money for nothin’ too.

2 Likes

This would be a very bad-ass home gym. Is it a wish list, a grocery list or do you already own it all?

If you’re limited in space or cash, I have a few recommendations to consider. First, drop the Hyper. They’re fun to play around with every once in a while at a gym but I don’t think they’re really that helpful even for serious powerlifters or strongmen.

Second, think twice on the GHD. I have one and love it but I got it for an amazing price and I compete in masters track meets and I think single leg hip extensions are one of the best things you can do if you want to be fucking fast. For most other purposes it’s probably not required.

Dumbbells through 150 pounds is awesome!!!

Damn I missed my opportunity

My set up is all borrowed from my gym. I guess smaller gyms, to bill membership dues, are allowing members to grab what they need.

I have an axle, plates, and deadlift mats. Once it all re-opens I’m going to try to get some bumper plates and a log since my gym doesn’t have that stuff. Everything is sold out now, but should be available eventually.

That’s really cool they’re letting members borrow equipment. You’ve got a great gym.

1 Like

Yeah its a rough situation for them because they just expanded to a bigger location right before this all went down. My friend owns the gym, and I want to support them as much as I can, so it works well.

I miss training at a real gym with meaningful weight on all sorts of specialty barbells, and I was close to some big PRs on Hatfield Squat and Sumo deadlift.

1 Like

I’m renting half my stuff from a local independent gym. They are probably gonna be out of business for a while after this as they recover but are aiming to reopen

I’m noticing some bigger chain gyms selling off equipment also. Hope they are doing alright. There’s one small chain but arguably the best chain of gyms in Australia called Doherty’s where the owner is renovating and upgrading right now

I remember when this first happened I was like “psh I’ll take a week off”

It looks like it’s gonna back to gyms sooner than I though in Oz but when things started closing I had to think about $$$ v not having a good time without the gym because like it helps to have the routine and everything going well in life you know what I mean. So I went gains over $$$. I’m poorer now but richer in gains

Oh, definitely a wish-list. When the girlfriend and I move to a bigger house within the next year, I’ve already told her (and she’s agreed), we’re devoting either part of the garage or part of the basement to a gym. I doubt I’d have enough room to get all of that stuff in there, but if I could get a squat rack, some bars, DB’s, and a few other things, I’d be set. All things considered, it will probably be bare bones, but it will definitely get the job done if another pandemic (or blizzard) hits.

What events do you race in?

tweet

Long Jump, 60m, 100m

If I’m in good shape I’ll add Triple Jump and 200.

I’d Pole Vault if practicing was more convenient.

1 Like

Impressive.

You have a training log on here?

tweet

Nope. I quit logging ~15 years ago because it lead to injury. I’m better off if I don’t know what I did last time. lol

My training is pretty simple. Upper/Lower split. Lots of mobility work for the warmup. I go heavy and usually do explosive movements in between sets. Jumps, medball, etc.

1 Like

I was lucky enough to have some resistance bands, some dumbbells, and a bike to ride. I knew early on the gyms would be closed for more than the initial 2 weeks. I started looking for additional resistance bands and dumbbells at the end of March. I was lucky enough to live close to an academy and be able to be the first one in the store on delivery days. Between me and a few female friends I was getting stuff for, we’ve spent about 2K on stuff over the month. I still need another 60 & 70 DB (edit - I just got another 70 this morning!!! 4/27), along with heavier sets. I’ve been able to make what i have work. For squats I put a 50 in a backpack on my back and hold a 60 and 70 in my hands. I just do a lot of sets. My resistance bands are gofit brand. I can do unlimited pulling motion at unlimited angles. The bands are great for that, but limited in pressing moves. Because bracing against a bench is gone, I can’t go with to much resistance. So I use my dumbbells for pressing, but right now The heaviest I have is a 60 & 70.

I’m still searching for the heavier DBs and will definitely purchase them at pre inflated prices when I find them. I never want to be in this position again. I’m humbled for thinking a home gym was not needed.

What’s funny is after spending hours in Academy observing people, I’ve seen people enter the store and hit the weight section like crackheads. People are desperately grabbing whatever they can. Academy put up signs last week limiting the amount of weights one person can purchase.

You can use the bands to add resistance to pushups.

2 Likes