T Nation

Corny

How is corn broken down into gylcogen? Rather, what’s the muscle to liver replenishment ratio? I’m guessing mainly muscle here, since it’s a grain. Correct?

bumpity-bump-bump

I wish I knew as well, but alas, I do not!

poohbaya, I don’t know either, but here are a couple of my concerns. One, high fructose corn syrup is made from corn syrup, obviously. I don’t like the fact that HFCS prferentially refills liver glycogen. I’m like you I want muscle glycogen filled, which is better done with your starchy carbs. I also avoid sugar.

Another problem I have with corn is that it is high in Omega 6s, which is PRO-inflammatory. So I tend to avoid sunflower oil, safflower oil and corn oil, as well as corn in general. And that’s not to say that I don’t LOVE corn on the cob (grin). I just make it a rare or special treat.

The muscle to liver glycogen replacement ratio of starchy carbs (malto) varies widely due to the current liver glycogen content (are you fasted and have low liver glycogen or have you been eating all day and liver is nearly topped off?)…and the current muscle glycogen level (have you just finished a glycogen depleting full body WO…or did you take the day off?)…all things equal though, the liver gets first dibs as it stores glyogen for brain function which the body gives top priority…but if liver has adequate stores and you have just worked out, then it would go to muscles…and the majority of muscle glycogen replacement occurs in the 2 hour post WO window, providing carb substrates are available at this time (ie did you take your Surge?).