T Nation

Core Training

Need some advice on which core training method would benefit me the most. I am weak while doing squats at the bottom of my lift. I have a problem keeping up right and start to roll forward almost to a good morning position when I get heavy in the weight (around 285+). I use a belt and I can tell my legs can push more but with having to compensate so much when I start to lift up I stick there and causes it to be a lot harder to push. So far my max for 3 reps is 325 but can do 435+ on top half maybe more as I felt like hammered shit today with a head cold. Any advice or link/name of a core training program on the site I could use would be greatly appreciated.

[quote]emd513 wrote:
Need some advice on which core training method would benefit me the most. I am weak while doing squats at the bottom of my lift. I have a problem keeping up right and start to roll forward almost to a good morning position when I get heavy in the weight (around 285+). I use a belt and I can tell my legs can push more but with having to compensate so much when I start to lift up I stick there and causes it to be a lot harder to push. So far my max for 3 reps is 325 but can do 435+ on top half maybe more as I felt like hammered shit today with a head cold. Any advice or link/name of a core training program on the site I could use would be greatly appreciated. [/quote]

If you can do super heavy partial squats your core might not be the issue. It could also be a mobility issue (thoracic spine and hip flexors) that prevent you from maintaining a good posture in the bottom position of a full squat. Almost like your own body is pulling you forward. So you not only fight the weight, but your own body.

A mobility routine for the thoracic spine and hip flexors might do you more good than a core program (although the core is always something that can get stronger) and also doing plenty of front squats.

Thanks for the quick reply. I know I need to work on mobility. I’m pretty tight everywhere. What would be the best way to go about that. So far all your articles I have read or videos have helped me tremendously…pretty sad I pay a trainer $150 a month and got better info in the last three months reading what you have wrote and following your work out routines then I have in the 18 months using this guy.thank you for all the info you have given for us to read on top of you being pretty big inspiration with your beast evolves article from several years ago that I hope to be able to utilize to transform my self.