Core Training

Hey guys,
Recovered from a couple lower back injuries and wanted to lift heavy again.
But my doc recommended i train up my core first
Any suggestions?

Train your upper and lower body, and your ‘abs’ if you are medically considered healthy by your practitioner. For your abs, since you have a history of lower back injuries any flexion exercises should be avoided like the plague, so that removes situp/crunch variations. You can do anything that uses your core to stabilize yourself (one armed deadlifts, suit case deadlifts, front squat holds, ect).

Can we ask what your injury history is also?

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Can we ask what your injury history is also? [/quote]

December - Messed up my back deadlifting 127KG
Feb - Sprained my lower back doing squats

[quote]DSSG wrote:
Train your upper and lower body, and your ‘abs’ if you are medically considered healthy by your practitioner. For your abs, since you have a history of lower back injuries any flexion exercises should be avoided like the plague, so that removes situp/crunch variations. You can do anything that uses your core to stabilize yourself (one armed deadlifts, suit case deadlifts, front squat holds, ect).[/quote]

I was planning to do start with front squats 5X5 doing this twice a week - starting with empty bar and working my way back up…would this be ideal core work?

Try this for your abs

and this - if possible - for your lower back

Also do the front squats.

Suit case deadlifts should still be done as specific ab/oblique work. Front squats do train the upper back (rhomboids/mid and lower traps, the thoracic spinal erectors, ect) and abs. The upper back tends to be the limiting factor causing you to dump the weight or put a lot of pressure on the wrists.

I have lower back issues, and my go-to “core” rehab work is always the same: squats, deads, and standing overhead press in a weight and rep range I can handle safely and without pain. And some sort of static core work like planks/pushup position holds for time.