Core Training for Powerlifting

which ab exercises do you guys think are the best for powerlifting? As in what single or list of movements should every aspiring powerlifter include in their training?

Check out Mike Robertson’s 21st Century Core Training article from 2011.

I do weighted crunches every now and then, too.

Front squats and heavy FS walkouts have worked well, also.

Watch the “So you think you can squat” series. They go over some ab stuff. Right now I’m doing standing abs only w/ a short medium band hanging from a chin bar and my abs get sore. Also do chins w/ your knees raised, somewhere on this site they had an article and they had an EEG hooked up to a dude and the most ab activity was during chin-ups, even compared to crunches and all sorts of other shit.

Laughing with friends
Drinking Beer
Puking

Axe choppers
Cable twist and extend (I can’t explain these, but you use a tricep rope that’s all the way through on one side)
Turkish get ups

?It should be noted that there is no connection between the ability to generate great force and the ability to realize it at maximum speed. This is obvious with respect to the training of powerlifters and bodybuilders. There are virtually no examples of these athletes who have switched to weightlifting and achieved distinguished results in the new sport. Whereas, on the other hand, there are numerous examples of high class weightlifters having switched to powerlifting and becoming champions.? (L.S. Dvorkin. Tiiazhelaya Atletika. Uchebnik, Moskow. Sovyetsky Sport, Publishers. 2005. Translated by Andrew Charniga, Jr. Sportivny Press©.)

Become enlightened. Switch to Weightlifting.

I’ve actually found decent results with the good ol’ ab wheel rollouts. Core stability has greatly improved and my abs are much stronger. Give them a shot.
Wendler recommended them in his 5/3/1 book, just to throw that out there.
Good luck.

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:
?It should be noted that there is no connection between the ability to generate great force and the ability to realize it at maximum speed. This is obvious with respect to the training of powerlifters and bodybuilders. There are virtually no examples of these athletes who have switched to weightlifting and achieved distinguished results in the new sport. Whereas, on the other hand, there are numerous examples of high class weightlifters having switched to powerlifting and becoming champions.? (L.S. Dvorkin. Tiiazhelaya Atletika. Uchebnik, Moskow. Sovyetsky Sport, Publishers. 2005. Translated by Andrew Charniga, Jr. Sportivny Press©.)

Become enlightened. Switch to Weightlifting.[/quote]

Do you ever post anything helpful?

Heavy standing cable crunches is a staple in our core training. Weighted planks with heavy chains on your back is another good one.

Ive been doing 1xweek bunch of standing cable crunches (straight and side-bends) and hanging leg raise (straight leg, cause I’m hardcore like that) - def fel a good burn and the whole middle region going bonkers. THis + your usual squats and deads variations are helping and I feel myself remaining tight at the botom of Deads and Squats. Maybe I should do some every time I train but its a drag when you are drained at the end of a hard session.

How are everyone else on their specific core trainign frequency? Is there even such a thing as training core/abs too often?

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:
Ive been doing 1xweek bunch of standing cable crunches (straight and side-bends) and hanging leg raise (straight leg, cause I’m hardcore like that) - def fel a good burn and the whole middle region going bonkers. THis + your usual squats and deads variations are helping and I feel myself remaining tight at the botom of Deads and Squats. Maybe I should do some every time I train but its a drag when you are drained at the end of a hard session.

How are everyone else on their specific core trainign frequency? Is there even such a thing as training core/abs too often?[/quote]

I’m not a power lifter so feel free to tell me to fuck off and ignore me.

I train abbs seriously as and when I feel they’re lacking, but try to get one session in a week.

HOWEVER
The hedging leg raise and dip station is at the door of my gym, and every time you walk past you have to do some reps, me and my training partner keep each other honest on this too.

So that’s at least 2 sets coming in and out of the gym, if you go for a piss between sets that’s another 2 sets, you’ve gotta walk past it to get to the taps if you want to fill your bottle up. It soon adds up.

Maybe someone could set up something similar where they train.

[quote]MAsteve wrote:

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:
?It should be noted that there is no connection between the ability to generate great force and the ability to realize it at maximum speed. This is obvious with respect to the training of powerlifters and bodybuilders. There are virtually no examples of these athletes who have switched to weightlifting and achieved distinguished results in the new sport. Whereas, on the other hand, there are numerous examples of high class weightlifters having switched to powerlifting and becoming champions.? (L.S. Dvorkin. Tiiazhelaya Atletika. Uchebnik, Moskow. Sovyetsky Sport, Publishers. 2005. Translated by Andrew Charniga, Jr. Sportivny Press�©.)

Do you ever post anything helpful? [/quote]

You need experience and brains to be helpful .

Planks work well for me .

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:

There is also no connection between the ability to generate force and weightlifting. If that were the case, the best weightlifters would also be our top sprinters, jumpers, and throwers. There are LITERALLY no examples of this. Also, it would suggest that the best team sport athletes would be the best weightlifters and vice versa. Last time I checked, the NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS, MLL, and NHL drafts don’t take place at the Olympic training center. As a matter of fact, most professional athletes do very limited weight training.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:
?It should be noted that there is no connection between the ability to generate great force and the ability to realize it at maximum speed. This is obvious with respect to the training of powerlifters and bodybuilders. There are virtually no examples of these athletes who have switched to weightlifting and achieved distinguished results in the new sport. Whereas, on the other hand, there are numerous examples of high class weightlifters having switched to powerlifting and becoming champions.? (L.S. Dvorkin. Tiiazhelaya Atletika. Uchebnik, Moskow. Sovyetsky Sport, Publishers. 2005. Translated by Andrew Charniga, Jr. Sportivny Press�©.)

There is also no connection between the ability to generate force and weightlifting. If that were the case, the best weightlifters would also be our top sprinters, jumpers, and throwers. There are LITERALLY no examples of this. Also, it would suggest that the best team sport athletes would be the best weightlifters and vice versa. Last time I checked, the NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS, MLL, and NHL drafts don’t take place at the Olympic training center. As a matter of fact, most professional athletes do very limited weight training. [/quote]

Which is why these “professional athletes” are weak.

Hey! Hey! This thread is about training abs!

The ab-wheel has been a good one for me, but I am wanting to try front squat holds.

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:
?It should be noted that there is no connection between the ability to generate great force and the ability to realize it at maximum speed. This is obvious with respect to the training of powerlifters and bodybuilders. There are virtually no examples of these athletes who have switched to weightlifting and achieved distinguished results in the new sport. Whereas, on the other hand, there are numerous examples of high class weightlifters having switched to powerlifting and becoming champions.? (L.S. Dvorkin. Tiiazhelaya Atletika. Uchebnik, Moskow. Sovyetsky Sport, Publishers. 2005. Translated by Andrew Charniga, Jr. Sportivny Press�?�©.)

There is also no connection between the ability to generate force and weightlifting. If that were the case, the best weightlifters would also be our top sprinters, jumpers, and throwers. There are LITERALLY no examples of this. Also, it would suggest that the best team sport athletes would be the best weightlifters and vice versa. Last time I checked, the NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS, MLL, and NHL drafts don’t take place at the Olympic training center. As a matter of fact, most professional athletes do very limited weight training. [/quote]

Which is why these “professional athletes” are weak.[/quote]

LOL you are good for a laugh

Erm, I like suitcase deadlifts. You get an exercise that requires you to resist lateral flexion that also works on grip and your posterior chain. Fuck yeah.

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:

[quote]ViKtoricus wrote:
?It should be noted that there is no connection between the ability to generate great force and the ability to realize it at maximum speed. This is obvious with respect to the training of powerlifters and bodybuilders. There are virtually no examples of these athletes who have switched to weightlifting and achieved distinguished results in the new sport. Whereas, on the other hand, there are numerous examples of high class weightlifters having switched to powerlifting and becoming champions.? (L.S. Dvorkin. Tiiazhelaya Atletika. Uchebnik, Moskow. Sovyetsky Sport, Publishers. 2005. Translated by Andrew Charniga, Jr. Sportivny Press�?�©.)

Which is why these “professional athletes” are weak.[/quote]

They are extremely weak. That’s why I used them as an example. So that you could relate to them. Did you get your invite to London yet?