T Nation

Cops & Steroids

There was an article this month in Men’s Health about cops taking steroids. Cops say they need it because of the criminals they have to fight, tests for steroids are $100 a pop and many precincts do not have that kind of money to pay for constant testing. What’s everyone’s opinion on whether cops should take steroids to protect themselves or should they be tested. Besides being illegal, there weren’t many arguments against cops taking steroids, anyone have any?

My opinion is that there is nothing wrong with knowledgeable people using steroids in a responsible manner. However, it seems a little hypocritical for them to be out enforcing laws that they are breaking themselves (even though it happens with a lot of other things too). If ANY activity is illegal for the rest of us, then it shouldn’t be legal (or acceptable) for them either.

I am completely fine with cops taking steroids. Just as I am fine with responsible citizens taking steroids. Maybe steroids will get some good publicity from it.

I saw the article and thought it was poorly written.

I do think it’s hypocritcal for cops to take 'roids when they are busting non-cops for using the same stuff.

My dad’s a cop and has never used 'roids but does go to the gym often and is in great shape for his age, 48.

I think cops saying they need to take 'roids to do their job is bunch of B.S. Afterall, last time I checked, cops do still carry guns. Yes, I know that some perps are a bitch to take down and control, but there are methods good cops can use to handle any situation. Like the article said, most cops take 'roids for the same reason anyone else does: vanity.

Chris Shugart did a similar article back in 2002:

Written much better, of course!

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460732

well, i’m actually quoted in that article.

i agree that it’s hypocritical to use AAS and uphold the law. however, just like anything else, you look at the risk-benefit ratio. i’m not currently “on” and wonder if i will go back on or not. however, i still follow the AAS info, and am continuing to learn.

i think in certain environments, where the public is already aginst you and you work in a very rough environment, it’s very hard to avoid the temptation. and with the explosion of meth, well, it comes in handy. i’ve fought with people on meth and crack that literally needed 4 people to handcuff…if it was one-on-one, you would need to shoot them. no joke.

either way, AAS is still a personal choice, and is a little more complicated for law enforcement types…

[quote]Atomic Dog wrote:
Chris Shugart did a similar article back in 2002:

Written much better, of course!

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460732[/quote]

Agreed. I was going to post a link to that, but got distracted. Thanks for picking up my slack. This really is a great article, one of the best I’ve read here on T-Nation.

Whether or not steroids should or should not be legal to some degree, they are illegal now. I agree that it would hypocritical for them to break the same laws that they are paid to enforce.

I see alot of local cops (many of whom I went to high school with) from towns around where I live out at bars. It really pisses me off that some of them get just completly hammered and then drive home but the next night will give DUIs to people who are barely over the legal limit after having a couple drinks. Same kind of thing. If you want to break a law that you don’t agree with that is your choice, but don’t become a police officer. How can we expect police to justly uphold the law if they do not even abide by it? That’s like saying police are above the law.

I’m fine with cops using them, as I would be fine with them being legal.

I just don’t buy into their reasoning for using them.

They are given “tools” to use to increase their ability to get a person (or people) under control without having to be as strong as the person (people).

That is why they have night sticks, huuuuge flash lights, mace, guns, and most importantly, the ability to call upon many other officers to give them strength in numbers.

And I believe they are authorized to use one level of force higher than the person or people they are trying to get under control.

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
well, i’m actually quoted in that article.

i agree that it’s hypocritical to use AAS and uphold the law. however, just like anything else, you look at the risk-benefit ratio. i’m not currently “on” and wonder if i will go back on or not. however, i still follow the AAS info, and am continuing to learn.

i think in certain environments, where the public is already aginst you and you work in a very rough environment, it’s very hard to avoid the temptation. and with the explosion of meth, well, it comes in handy. i’ve fought with people on meth and crack that literally needed 4 people to handcuff…if it was one-on-one, you would need to shoot them. no joke.

either way, AAS is still a personal choice, and is a little more complicated for law enforcement types…[/quote]

yes, i do remember that lady who was looking for people to interview about the topic coming on here. poor journalist, she got flamed like none other.

I don’t have any problems with anybody using AAS intelligently. Here is my problem with the whole thing:

Most cops are fat donut eating bitches. Roids are not going to help them. I think half the problem for the coppers is that they have become soft like the rest of society. I think they should have physical training as part of their shift. Beat cops should have a minimum level of physical ability that they have to stay above in order to work.

AAS is really only going to help the coppers who are training anyway. These guys (from what I’ve seen) are in the vast minority. Bring back compulsory PT for coppers!!

There was a guy at the gym that I used to go to before I moved that was a cop. He was named Mr.(state), got a pro card (I believe) and was always beet red…

But I think that if an officer decides that it is something that he wants to do, as long as he is smart about it, it’s ok in my book. What about people who work for the IRS and cheat on their taxes, there’s gotta be a couple of those.

I will be a state trooper in about 1 year. SOO…well I’m sure you all get it. It’s just like anything else. If you make the choice to do something illegal then you have to pay the consequences if/when you are caught. As for taking juice to take down bad guys??? TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIT. Like somebody already said. That’s what weapons are for ie. the right tools for the job. However, there should be a mandatory level of fitness that is constantly required for police officers.

I have a relative who is w/ LE who pretty much stays on year round. He claims that the majority of his co-workers could care less about AAS use–provided you’re not selling it to teens…and that they have “bigger fish to fry”
I totally agree,there are tons of drugs that are more harmful/addicting than AAS…But w/ the same token, AAs are drugs, and should only be used by responsible individuals.

MK

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

People are people are people! I’ve been in law enforcement for almost 30 years (most of that as an administrator of one sort or another) and cops are just like everyone else. You’ve got good ones and bad ones. There are those that abide by the rules and those that don’t. They are in the limelight more than many other professions so they get ragged on more. They are expected to have higher standards than others because they represent justice much like priests or pastors represent God and goodness. So when they stray from that, the media usually sensationalizes it. I’m not saying indiscretions should be ignored but I do not think we should be surprised when they fail to measure up.

I agree that officers should maintain a high standard of physical fitness also. Most departments these days give training in what is called the “Use of Force Continuum” which is basically meeting violent situations with the proper amount of force and restraint. The first level of that policy is typically Physical Presence, which to me means that the officer should look like a professional and conduct himself or herself in a manner that lets the general public know that they will be treated with respect but can and will be able to use force if necessary. Would you want your automobile to be worked on by a mechanic that only had one wrench a hammer in his toolbox? Why hang a gun and a badge on someone and expect them to deal with the wide variety of situations that are encountered on a daily basis?

My point being, when a person chooses law enforcement as a profession they know up front that a certain amount of physical force is going to be required at times along with running and sometimes climbing. So their body is actually a tool of the trade. Why in the world would you pursue that type of career if you were not willing to maintain your body in such a way that would increase the odds of your survival?

In recent years, ethics in law enforcement has become a bigger issue than in the past. When you take the oath you basically are pledging to abide by the higher standards. If you can?t, then find something else to do. It?s easy to make justifications for almost any activity but if it is illegal, just don?t do it. I find the justification for taking steroids pretty bogus.

Most of the people involved in the meth culture that I have encountered are not physically imposing at all. That is certainly not a drug that is known to enhance physical or mental capacities. Probably a more valid argument would be that upon conviction we pack them up and send them to a prison system that has some of the finest workout equipment around. There, they have nothing better to do than spend their days bulking up for the day of their release.

Should steroid use be illegal? Probably not, but then again I don?t think someone should be telling me I have to wear a seatbelt or helmet either. Am I going to wear them? Yes, but I still don?t want someone legislating every little thing I do in life. The only folks that making it illegal scared off were the ones that probably weren?t serious about using them anyway. Are cops going to spend a lot of time busting steroid users? Give me a break! If they find it on you as a result of some other investigation they might charge you with it but probably only if you?ve been a real smartass.

[quote]old_graymule wrote:
Most of the people involved in the meth culture that I have encountered are not physically imposing at all. That is certainly not a drug that is known to enhance physical or mental capacities. Probably a more valid argument would be that upon conviction we pack them up and send them to a prison system that has some of the finest workout equipment around. There, they have nothing better to do than spend their days bulking up for the day of their release.
[/quote]

huh? meth addicts are not physically imposing, but since methamphetamine is pretty much the strongest stimulant available, they’re erratic, violent, have a disturbingly high pain tolerance and will fight for days. maybe they’re different where you’re at or something…

I reckon if they are taken under professional supervision then its fine. I think cops need all the help they can get to help combat crime.

Wideguy, how far along in the process are you? Just out of curiousity. It’s not wise to be so open about your use on a board like this with an organization that is so against any sort of drug use. Internal affairs is very thorough, just a CYA.