T Nation

Cops On Steroids?

Hi,

I’m a writer for a major men’s magazine, and I’m working on an article about cops who take steroids. (Did you read Chris Shugart’s Q&A “Cops on Gear?” Something like that.) If you’re a law enforcement officer and use (or have used) steroids, I’d love to talk to you about it. You can remain anonymous, if you prefer. Please PM me if you’re interested.

Thanks in advance for your help…

Sabrina

what mag?

Men’s Health.

I have a better Idea. How about you do a cycle, and then right about yourself?

[quote]sre wrote:
Hi,

I’m a writer for a major men’s magazine, and I’m working on an article about cops who take steroids. (Did you read Chris Shugart’s Q&A “Cops on Gear?” Something like that.) If you’re a law enforcement officer and use (or have used) steroids, I’d love to talk to you about it. You can remain anonymous, if you prefer. Please PM me if you’re interested.

Thanks in advance for your help…

Sabrina[/quote]

haha good one p22!

take that, men’s health!

your magazine fucking SUCKS.

[quote]Prisoner#22 wrote:
I have a better Idea. How about you do a cycle, and then right about yourself?[/quote]

Probably because she’s asking about cops who do it, not writers.

Quit riding the steriod gravy train. Do an article on how much dick michael jackson is likely to get in prison. I might even buy that issue.
If you are a cop and you have used gear, I beseach you not to expose you and your profession to this. It is another attempt to demonize steriods and thier users. As well as spead misinformation about it.

Im going to go out on a limb but I am almost certain that no cops will respond to this person. Steroid use is illegal, plain and simple(personal opinions about that aside). If you’re a cop and on gear, you better trust the person you are spilling your guts to a hell of a lot as it could mean your career. Even if its anonymous, who knows what kind of light the writer intends to put this whole subject in?

Read the previously mentioned T-Nation interview, it was done very fairly.

Profile for sre

Date Registered:
2005-04-04 12:08:11

Total Posts:
2

I smell a rat!

jaystyles

This person is legit. I suggested she post this after she interviewed me on the topic for Men’s Health. (Of course I also told her that she’d get attacked for posting this, but that was to be expected.) She found my “Cops on Gear” article in the archives and contacted me. For those that say “cops will never talk!” remember, they already have. Doctors too. I did a whole series on regular, successful professionals who use steroids:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460732

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459781

The reporter is seeking info here on T-Nation because she said after looking around many bodybuilding sites, T-Nation’s readers seemed the most intelligent and helpful. Let’s not act like stereotypical violent meatheads and prove her wrong.

TC and I have done a lot of interviews with major magazines about steroid issues. We know that what we say probably won’t be used. Many times the reporter is fishing for only negative stuff. I talked for an hour with Sabrina about steroid myths, but will it get published? If it does, will my comments be used in context? Don’t know. But all we can do is provide the real scoop on steroids and see what happens.

Guys, just to lighten up the stiffness in this thread:

Did you get her phone number Chris?

OK, like Chris said, people before have and will continue to expose their “secrets”, legality aside.

But, what if we can perhaps convince Sabrina or Men’s Health to publish something truthful? What if we can convince them to try to spill the true story on 'roids?

Perhaps, by posting back, we could be taking a step to dispelling this whole myth. Men’s Health is a widely read magazine… even if they publish an article stating that roids may be perhaps not as bad as everyone thinks, then at least some people will begin to question what they see and hear on TV.

And if Men’s Health screw up, let the MH bashing begin…

fragfeaster777

i like frags idea of dispelling most of the bullshit myths associated with steroid use i think that would make a better article than “cops on steroids” hell if needed be id search through books to find studies for you if you put my name in the mag haha kidding about the name

Try Coleman, Ronnie. I suspect he may be taking something.

A “mainstream” magazine treating the steroid topic fairly would be great. The “cops on steroids” thing is rarely done right. There is usually an underhanded attack on law enforcement professionals as hypocrites included. Even if that isnt the case, it generally reeks of tabloid sensationalism, which of course is designed to sell issues.

Aside from that problem, I sure as hell would not feel comfortable talking to any reporter or journalist about steroid use. For the record, Im a cop. Im also a lifetime natural lifter. However, if I was on gear, I would be paranoid about it getting back to the wrong people. Im very aware that some other guys have no problem spilling their guts, but I question the wisdom of this. You would be surprised how word can travel. Usually everybody knows who the department’s juicers are and they are left alone, but if you make enough of a spectacle of yourself
the bosses might start caring if it generates heat.

In my humble opinion, men’s health should start with an article that informs the reader about steroid issues and does so without pre-judgement. The “cops on roids” route may be a bit too much at this point. Law enforcement tends to be a somewhat closed society to begin with. The gear-using members of that society, if they’re smart, are usually even more closed off.

even though i can’t hold the author of this thread accountable for all the bullshit in men’s health, she is still a part of that system. the magazine she writes for is junk food for the mind.

men’s health is like watered-down ‘information’ for men who don’t want to think too hard.

it showcases all these ‘studies’, which are weakly explained, sometimes taken out of context, they often draw illogical conclusions from their research, they post shitty workout routines, etc, etc…

it is junk just like 99% of mainstream magazines at your local grocery store. i guess this is just the shortcoming of being in big business… profits matter more than the product.

i think the only redeeming quality of the magazine is the ‘belly-off club’, and even that segment of the magazine often gives bad advice, and readers will infer wrong ‘truths’ about dieting from the anecdotal stories.

are we being too xenophobic with this outsider coming into our forum? probably, but with good reason, IMHO.
if i was a cop on gear , i sure as hell would not want to help out that sort of magazine in any shape or form. it’s just another piece of the puzzle in the bullshit system that keeps spreading misinformation about everything they can get their hands on in order to make a buck.

[quote]JD43- wrote:

A “mainstream” magazine treating the steroid topic fairly would be great. The “cops on steroids” thing is rarely done right. There is usually an underhanded attack on law enforcement professionals as hypocrites included. Even if that isnt the case, it generally reeks of tabloid sensationalism, which of course is designed to sell issues.

Aside from that problem, I sure as hell would not feel comfortable talking to any reporter or journalist about steroid use. For the record, Im a cop. Im also a lifetime natural lifter. However, if I was on gear, I would be paranoid about it getting back to the wrong people. Im very aware that some other guys have no problem spilling their guts, but I question the wisdom of this. You would be surprised how word can travel. Usually everybody knows who the department’s juicers are and they are left alone, but if you make enough of a spectacle of yourself
the bosses might start caring if it generates heat.

In my humble opinion, men’s health should start with an article that informs the reader about steroid issues and does so without pre-judgement. The “cops on roids” route may be a bit too much at this point. Law enforcement tends to be a somewhat closed society to begin with. The gear-using members of that society, if they’re smart, are usually even more closed off. [/quote]

i agree, there is no advantage for any officer to confide in this random writer for men’s health.

Ask Ron Coleman for an interview.

Being that Men’s Health is a mainstream magazine found side-by-side Cosmopolitan and Good Housekeeping at everyone’s local grocery store, and mainstream America has been completely brainwashed by the media about the effects of steroids, this just seems like a perfect chance to jump on the bandwagon and PROMOTE steroid myths so as to catapult sales before steroid-bashing fizzles out.

I recommend that if anyone DOES contribute, that they remain anonymous for obvious reasons. Don’t even release your geographic location. Next thing you know, the LAPD’s Chief of Police will be getting grilled by the Commissioner, “did you read this month’s Men’s Health magazine? It reports that 20 of our officers are on anabolic steroids and the media is having a field day with this! Call our public relations team and have them announce we’re conducting random drug screenings effective immediately!”

Am I paranoid? Maybe. Can this happen? Sure. Either way, I see TC and Chris awarding Men’s Health magazine with an “If They Had The Balls” award in the near future. Hope I’m wrong though…

Peace be with you all!

Here’s the thing to keep in mind: these types of mainstream articles are going to run anyway; might as well give them some science and debunk some myths. If not, then the reporters will base their articles on the movie “The Program” or after school specials.

And BTW, the person seeking info here is a freelancer, not a Men’s Health staff writer or editor.

Oh, and I don’t think Coleman has been a cop for several years now.

Sarcasm, Shugs. Sarcasm.