T Nation

Cops At Their Finest

Such a pathetic all too familiar state of affairs…quite sad.

‘Jelly bellies’ memo costs police chief his job

November 1, 2006

WINTER HAVEN, Florida (AP) – Police Chief Paul Goward was tired of looking around his department and seeing blubber hanging over the belts of some of his officers. So he sent out a memo exhorting the “jelly bellies” to shape up.

In the end, the department lost 190 pounds – all of them belonging to Goward. He was forced out as chief because some of his officers took offense at the memo.

The October 11 memo bruised feelings on the 80-member force, drew at least one anonymous letter of complaint from officers about the chief’s management style and made his department the butt of jokes about fat cops and doughnuts.

“If they got their feelings hurt to the extent of `Do something about it,’ then I did what I was intending to do,” said an unapologetic Goward, a trim 6-footer who was forced to resign his $92,000-a-year post last week.

Some of the chief’s defenders said his ouster was a big overreaction.

“He offered tremendously good advice, yet he was sacked,” wrote Thomas Roe Oldt, a columnist for The Ledger of Lakeland.

In his memo, titled “Are You a Jelly Belly,” the chief never singled anyone out, and apart from the title, didn’t call anyone names.

Instead, he provided a list of 10 reasons police officers should be in shape. He said overweight police poorly represent the profession, poop out when chasing suspects and might have to resort to “a higher level of force” if a criminal got the upper hand in a fight. He said out-of-shape cops are a liability to the city and their families.

“Take a good look at yourself,” he wrote. “If you are unfit, do yourself and everyone else a favor. See a professional about a proper diet and a fitness training program, quit smoking, limit alcohol intake and start thinking self-pride, confidence and respectability. And stop making excuses for delaying what you know you should have been doing years ago. We didn’t hire you unfit and we don’t want you working unfit. Don’t mean to offend, this is just straight talk. I owe it to you.”

Winter Haven cops must pass physical examinations to be hired but are not regularly tested for fitness thereafter.

Goward, 60, said he is not a fitness freak, was not “asking for a department full of Arnold Schwarzeneggers here” and did not order his officers to stay away from fast-food restaurants or doughnut shops. In fact, the 36-year police veteran, who has also worked in Kansas and South Carolina, said Winter Haven’s force is no less fit than the others he has served on.

David Greene, manager of the central Florida city of 30,000, said through a spokeswoman that he was too busy for an interview, but told the local newspapers the anonymous complaint letters made it clear the police department had a morale problem because of Goward’s abrasive management style during his 21/2 years there.

“Emotions within the police department and the relationship with the police chief became raw,” he told The Ledger.

Winter Haven officers contacted by The Associated Press said they were told not to talk to reporters about Goward’s departure.

One of the anonymous complaint letters described the force as “upset to say the least” about the chief and called the “Jelly Belly” memo “the icing on the cake.”

“This letter shows the type of harassment and hostile work environment we have. The chief of police is constantly ‘bad talking’ us in every way possible and we have had enough of his arrogance,” the letter read.

Mandy Rohrbaugh, a 40-year-old nursing student and Winter Haven resident, said Goward had the right message, but perhaps could have delivered it differently.

“I think honestly our police force needs a lot of shaping up, and I think they should be fit not just when they’re hired but through their time,” she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/11/01/jelly.belly.ap/index.html

They’re supposed to be fearless in protecting us yet they get their feelings hurt and call for a dismissal when someone calls them chubby.

Have they been posting on T-Nation recently?

While we clearly don’t know exactly how the chief typically behaved, if the letter is any indication of his “abuse” then this is absolutely retarded. I don’t like fat people or cops…fat cops should be shat on.

Politic correctness taken to its utmost stupidity.

Here, a group of comic made a very popular show with , amongst others, a few sketches and a very popular song about police officers, laughing about them hanging at a popular donut joint. Because of that, officers were forbidden to go there anymore, as they were the butt of every fat donut-eater joke at the time.

[quote]PGA wrote:
Such a pathetic all too familiar state of affairs…quite sad.
[/quote]
I agree. It’s complete bull-shit.

I don’t agree with this part of the article. Paul didn’t make his department the butt of those jokes, the officers who let themselves get fat made their department the butts of those jokes.

OK, so you fire the guy wjho tries to get people to start taking care of themselves?

Would a memo telling all of the cops where to get free fried chicken wings have gotten a promotion?

Do they think we don’t notice the 50+" waist lines?

I see cops who look absolutely pathetic. The thought of them carrying a fire arm doesn’t put me at ease. I would think a cop completely out of his class in strength, speed or agility from even the average person would be more likely to shoot first before attempting any other form pf physical action…simply because they can’t do anything else.

Maybe if we pretend it isn’t there, the extreme obesity will disappear.

[quote]PGA wrote:
They’re supposed to be fearless in protecting us yet they get their feelings hurt and call for a dismissal when someone calls them chubby.

Have they been posting on T-Nation recently?[/quote]

Dude, you have such a complex.

Sure, what the chief said is absolutely true. But this is old news for godsakes.

Some cops are animals and would bury you when it comes to physical prowess.
Sadly, many more are woefully out of shape and could care less about fixing that situation.

But get over yourself with this cop-hating complex. “Supposed to be fearless”? That is one of the most idiotic things I have ever seen on here.
Where did you get that from?

Ahh…why bother?

Just saw this after posting the same. It is sickening and a mess. What a tragedy

i also agree that it is ridiculous that the chief would be fired over this. as a police officer for the last ten years i will readily admit that there is a large population of officers that are grossly out of shape. i do not feel that they are in the majority.

police departments like any work place in the world are also continuously faced with law suits and the threat of them from people that would rather sue than be held to higher standards. in my department, the tactical unit, which i am a member of, is the only unit in the department that is held to physical standards. you have to pass a physical fitness test to get on and take it regularly to stay on.

the test requires running, climbing obstacles, and shooting in the middle of this when heart rates are high and breathing is labored. it should be interesting to members here that the portion of the test that fails 70% of applicants is the pull up portion, and only five are required!!

there are elite units in all departments and believe me it is not the out of shape cops that you see that you will have to depend on when things get real bad.

[quote]JD430 wrote:
Sadly, many more are woefully out of shape and could care less about fixing that situation.

But get over yourself with this cop-hating complex. “Supposed to be fearless”? That is one of the most idiotic things I have ever seen on here.

Ahh…why bother?

[/quote]
I don’t think the fearless ones and the ones with physical prowess are the ones that wrote the letter whining about getting their feelings hurt.

[quote]JD430 wrote:
PGA wrote:

Have they been posting on T-Nation recently?

Dude, you have such a complex.

Sure, what the chief said is absolutely true. But this is old news for godsakes.

Ahh…why bother?

[/quote]

How did his post come across as “cop hating”? If a man is put in a position where they have authority over a group of human beings, you don’t think they should be held to a higher standard?

Cops are given the ability to take a life and can basically break any minor rules set up for the rest of us and, unless it is a major offense, nothing will ever be said about it. I see cops speeding without their lights on daily yet I would get a ticket in the same circumstance.

If you are put in that position, EXPECT for people to look at you and point out your faults, especially when it trickles down and can affect the rest of us…like cops getting so fat and out of shape that a memo even needed to be written to begin with.

The real question is, why are cops allowed to stay on the force in that kind of shape? Why aren’t they fired if they get that damned fat?

Is it “cop hating” to expect them to be judged by a higher standard?

Maybe you should stop “cop sympathizing” over something like this.

[quote]JD430 wrote:
Wrote some stuff…
[/quote]

Cops asked for a chief to be fired because he called them chubby.

Did I mention cops asked for their chief to be fired because he called them cubby?

Maybe you missed it, cops asked their chief to be removed because he called them chubby.

If a person can get so riled up and feel so offended that they get someone fired over a general, and ABSOLUTELY correct, comment I would not trust that person as an authority over me. If they are this unstable how they hell could they be trusted in the times of extreme stress?

If they are trying to arrest someone and the suspect says “Damn, you’re chubby” is the officer going to let him go, walk away and hang his head because he got made fun of?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
The real question is, why are cops allowed to stay on the force in that kind of shape? Why aren’t they fired if they get that damned fat?[/quote]

They should be given ONE notice to get in shape. If they dont, fire their asses. Its a disgrace to the real police officers not the “jelly bellies” posing as officers.

[quote]PGA wrote:
If they are trying to arrest someone and the suspect says “Damn, you’re chubby” is the officer going to let him go, walk away and hang his head because he got made fun of?[/quote]

No, they are going to shoot the suspect.

[quote]PGA wrote:
JD430 wrote:
Wrote some stuff…

Cops asked for a chief to be fired because he called them chubby.

Did I mention cops asked for their chief to be fired because he called them cubby?

Maybe you missed it, cops asked their chief to be removed because he called them chubby.

[/quote]

Actually, he didn’t even call any of them chubby. He simply titled a memo with “Are you a jelly belly?”, and then listed some ways to live more healthily.

That’s like me getting pissed off and firing a person who sends a company memo that says “Are your knees sore?” and then lists some ways to help with joint pain.

This situation is fucking retarded in so many ways.

This makes me sick. Unfortunately it is not just cops that are overly sensitive about this crap. All across the country obese people are trying to make it OK to be obese. It is not. Get off your ass and get some exercise. Start making the right food choices. We all know what is good food and what is bad food. It is called junk food for a reason!

Regarding cops, while there are certainly “tons” of fat cops, the cops I know through rugby and their buddies are freaking beasts. This shit must piss them off.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Regarding cops, while there are certainly “tons” of fat cops, the cops I know through rugby and their buddies are freaking beasts. This shit must piss them off.[/quote]

I respect those cops, so long as they dont abuse their power.

I have a jelly-belly damnit ! STOP MAKING FUN OF MEEEEEEEEE !

runs away crying to the freezer for ice cream

[quote]PGA wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Regarding cops, while there are certainly “tons” of fat cops, the cops I know through rugby and their buddies are freaking beasts. This shit must piss them off.

I respect those cops, so long as they dont abuse their power.[/quote]

I have seen them put their boots to peoples heads but purely in an unofficial capacity.

[quote]PGA wrote:

I respect those cops, so long as they dont abuse their power.[/quote]

A bit off topic here, but the husband of one of my female clients is a muscular 250 pound police officer, and sometimes I’m just fine with him ‘abusing his power’.

I remember him telling me one time about when he responded to a domestic dispute call and upon entering the house, found 2 dogs that were terribly beaten.

He then proceeded to beat the shit out of the guy while yelling “stop resisting arrest!”, which apparently makes a beating completely legal.

Granted, I wouldn’t want a cop to pull the “stop resisting arrest” method on my Mother or something, but since I would love to beat the shit out of some people who deserve it but can’t, I’m happy to let some cops do it for me.