Coping With the Depression

“However, there is one major difference between the depressions. Unlike the Great Depression, this depression is marked by extremely accommodative monetary policy. Helicopter Ben has delivered and he has had backup from other central banks. As a result, money supply and monetary base have increased dramatically in the United States and abroad.”

So it is a SHALLOW depression, papered over by the Fed.

“Whenever I talk about the depression, people ask me why buy anything at all. I have a simple answer. It won’t last forever. Ultimately, global demand for higher standards of living and the paradigm shift â?? the real one â?? of the U.S. getting freedom from OPEC will drive real economic growth. The United States, and other resource-rich nations, will begin to do very well again when that occurs later this decade. Use the coming final corrections of the secular bear market to accumulate valuable long-term assets.”

Seems like the best advice is to sit on high dividend stocks (like the telephone and tobacco stocks), buy real estate, and wait it out.

So from this I gather what Glenn Beck and the more extreme Conspiracy guys Like Alex Jones and whatnot
who are predicting a Weimar Republic type situation VERY soon are dead wrong.
IDK Man, everyone’s an expert, but I do have a clue as I have alot of dusty ol’ books
that predicted all kinds of Fiscal Armageddons that never materialized in the past
Here’s the deal with those, those Kinds of Doom and Gloom books sell, Not unlike the COUNTLESS
End Of The World/Rapture Books from the fringe Christianity sects I’ve collected over the years
from thrift shops, I use them as ammunition against the Hysterics from those who always say ‘The End Is Near’.
'Same with the countless Financial Armageddon Books from years gone by…they sell because they are
“Hot Topics”, but the prognosticators always fall flat on their faces, and they know they
don’t have anyone to answer to anyone after the Books have been sold, and the profits
are in their pockets already…Charlatans!
Interesting Post Headhunter.

Do you have “88 Reasons Why the Rapture Will Be in 1988” by Edgar Whisenant?

Wait a minute, You mean The Rapture didn’t happen in 1988?
yeah I got that one too somewhere.

Then you pass my qualification test for collector of idiotic anti biblical end times false prophecy books.

Something I’d like to ask those of you who may be a bit older than me (33) - has this prevailing sense of dread permeated through past generations as well?

Since I was born, we were supposed to have been killed by acid rain, MRSA bacteria, global warming, Africanized Killer Bees, Ebola, Bird Flu, H1N1, SARS, Saturated Fat, Nuclear War, Supervolcanos, and the 1985 Hartford Whalers.

These days, it’s the complete economic collapse of civilization as we know it, and a future scavenging for lichen and bark, blasting along the alkali mud flats in hovercrafts fueled by human misery.

Has the sky always been falling? Or is it genuinely falling faster these days?

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Something I’d like to ask those of you who may be a bit older than me (33) - has this prevailing sense of dread permeated through past generations as well?

Since I was born, we were supposed to have been killed by acid rain, MRSA bacteria, global warming, Africanized Killer Bees, Ebola, Bird Flu, H1N1, SARS, Saturated Fat, Nuclear War, Supervolcanos, and the 1985 Hartford Whalers.

These days, it’s the complete economic collapse of civilization as we know it, and a future scavenging for lichen and bark, blasting along the alkali mud flats in hovercrafts fueled by human misery.

Has the sky always been falling? Or is it genuinely falling faster these days?[/quote]

The sky has always been falling. We were debating Iran nuclear weapons in the 70’s. The national debt has been a hot button issue for forever. In the 50’s people wondered if we were already bankrupt. Ronald Reagan was the anti-christ (666 in his names!). The “end” has been coming since the beginning. Hell how many predictions of the world ending have we seen in our lifetimes? The next crisis is always going to be the one that sends everything to hell to some people. WE HAVE NEVER SEEN TIMES AS BAD AS THESE! Must be a depressing way to live life.

[quote]H factor wrote:
Must be a depressing way to live life. [/quote]

Politically speaking, it is a very effective way to win. It works. Paint your opponent as someone to run from and make it about the little things.

It also sells news papers more than heart felt stories of mankind’s wonder.

The difference today is that the character of our people is not conducive to recovery as it was int he past. From a purely monetary standpoint? The great depression was worse. This nation was not nearly the morally degenerate liberal/libertine communist whorehouse back then though as it is today. We had the strength and unity as a people to recover. In 2012 we can’t even agree on what a family is to say nothing of what “recover” even means anymore. The foundation is gone. That was never the case in the past. Our enemies like the ones in DC have very successfully destroyed us from within.

[quote]“No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
; Samuel Adams[/quote]We have and we are.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

Politically speaking, it is a very effective way to win. It works. Paint your opponent as someone to run from and make it about the little things.

It also sells news papers more than heart felt stories of mankind’s wonder.[/quote]

Politically it has always been and will always be the best way to win. I was talking about the people in general who are constantly the sky is falling, this is the end of the world, etc. That must be a depressing way to live. We have always had people like this though. One day one of them might be right, but not so far. Hell these lunatics said the 1987 stock market crash was tied to a homosexual march 8 days before. They are the same type of people who thought Obama caused the hurricane (cough, Alex Jones lunatics, cough). Doesn’t make any sense to me, but we aren’t talking about rational people.

[quote]H factor wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]H factor wrote:

It also sells news papers more than heart felt stories of mankind’s wonder.[/quote]

Politically it has always been and will always be the best way to win. I was talking about the people in general who are constantly the sky is falling, this is the end of the world, etc. That must be a depressing way to live. We have always had people like this though. One day one of them might be right, but not so far. [/quote]

Depressing for some sure, but crisis brings about change, and there is more often than not, someone waiting on the sidelines looking to profit from the change.

That is why I always look at the “doomsday” advocates with the most critical eye. People keeping the pressure on are often looking to create the change because they will “win” if the change goes their way.

I guess I’m getting at, I see more people looking to capitialize on this than cry in their corn flakes about it. I don’t think we disagree on this subject though, at all, at least in general.

Tirbulus Typed: “Then you pass my qualification test for collector of idiotic anti biblical end times false prophecy books.”

Yep, for reasons stated in my first post.

"As the chart below shows, rapid, dramatic shifts, characterized by massive inflows of cash into such savings accounts usually coincide with times of great monetary stress: the three biggest episodes in history to date have been the 2008 Lehman failure, the August 2011 Debt Ceiling Crisis and associated US downgrade, and the May 2009 First Greek failure and bailout.

Those three episodes represent the biggest weekly Savings Deposits inflows number 2 through 4.

When was the largest ever inflow into Savings Deposits at Commercial banks, at $131.9 billion in one week? This past week."

More evidence that the collapse is upon us.

“The Dollar will be rendered utterly worthless, probably within 3 years”

J.F. Smith, “The Coming Currency Collapse”, Publication Date September 1980.

[quote]Karado wrote:

[/quote]

Economists are usually wrong. Mathematicians are rarely wrong.

[quote]Karado wrote:

[/quote]

“We have to pass the law to see what’s in it…”

• Nanners Pelosi.

Had a Republican ever said that, he would be chased off the stage naked.

J.F. Smith was prognosticating with a specific timetable…he was wrong.
By his Watch the Dollar Collapse was supposed to occur around 1983.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

“However, there is one major difference between the depressions. Unlike the Great Depression, this depression is marked by extremely accommodative monetary policy. Helicopter Ben has delivered and he has had backup from other central banks. As a result, money supply and monetary base have increased dramatically in the United States and abroad.”

So it is a SHALLOW depression, papered over by the Fed.

“Whenever I talk about the depression, people ask me why buy anything at all. I have a simple answer. It won’t last forever. Ultimately, global demand for higher standards of living and the paradigm shift â?? the real one â?? of the U.S. getting freedom from OPEC will drive real economic growth. The United States, and other resource-rich nations, will begin to do very well again when that occurs later this decade. Use the coming final corrections of the secular bear market to accumulate valuable long-term assets.”

Seems like the best advice is to sit on high dividend stocks (like the telephone and tobacco stocks), buy real estate, and wait it out. [/quote]

There will be no economic depression. Sorry to disappoint you HH…not happening. Another recession absolutely, but that’s as far as it goes.

Bet?

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]Karado wrote:

[/quote]

“We have to pass the law to see what’s in it…”

• Nanners Pelosi.

Had a Republican ever said that, he would be chased off the stage naked. [/quote]

Why stop with that foolish comment? If Joe Biden was a republican he’d be nightly fodder for the all the liberal comedians from David Letterman to the ass clown himself Jon Stewart. the double standard is now so glaring you either have to be an idiot or a left wing hack yourself to deny it.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
"As the chart below shows, rapid, dramatic shifts, characterized by massive inflows of cash into such savings accounts usually coincide with times of great monetary stress: the three biggest episodes in history to date have been the 2008 Lehman failure, the August 2011 Debt Ceiling Crisis and associated US downgrade, and the May 2009 First Greek failure and bailout.

Those three episodes represent the biggest weekly Savings Deposits inflows number 2 through 4.

When was the largest ever inflow into Savings Deposits at Commercial banks, at $131.9 billion in one week? This past week."

More evidence that the collapse is upon us.

[/quote]

Thankfully with the collapse imminent you’ve dedicated a large chunk of time to creating single paragraph threads about President Obama. Now I don’t claim to know exactly how I’d behave if I KNEW a collapse was coming, but I’m guessing posting a bunch on T-Nation would rank pretty damn low.