Coping with a College Gym Course

[quote]mallen5 wrote:
Most colleges require a gym class so there’s probably no way to get out of it. I wouldn’t dig so deep into it. You are getting the majority of your training outside of class anyway. I’m sure there is something there that will allow you to make the most of your time. Let’s forget about what the gym doesn’t have and remember that you will be in there with a significant number of 18-22 year old women. In conclusion, be creative with your workouts and spit some game. [/quote]

I like where this is going.
I’ll bicep curl my way to glory.

Got more info on the 1RM test. The teacher is a smart one and actually giving a note on the initial 1RM test in order to counter the fakers. The more weight you push compared to your actual body weight, the better the grade. I’ll max the machine but won’t push to many reps. The fatter people seemed pretty concerned about the way its noted. =(

Why in the fuck are you taking a course that uses such a shit place?

I’ve thought about taking a weightlifting course from time to time but that’s because the course meets in the gym in the LSU Football stadium.

If you’re absolutely required too I’d say you can test your 1RM by how far you can throw their dinky ass dumbbells.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
you talk to him and explain that you max all the machines already (dumbbells too?) and that you are confused about how to make progress if you already do the max the machine will let you. Ask him what he recommends. Deal with the retarded answer, but then at least you’ll have a solid expectation to handle.

Also, you could just increase your rep max–you already max the machines, so you would test successfully by turning your 8 RM (or whatever you do with the full stack in there) into a 15 RM for example. That’s progress.

Best suggestion so far. Faking your 1RM is cheesy, and should be beneath you. Talk directly to the teacher and explain the situation, at least that way you’ve done everything you can to address it before it’s an issue, rather than jumping right to the Dean. Then be sure to make their jaws drop at the real RM test. See if the teacher would be interested in you tracking a rep max. Solid idea.

Keep going with your 5x5, and use the two days in the school gym for corrective, rehab, and restorative work. Odds are you could do some ball-based core training without interfering with your main program.

Ntroych wrote:
Have you considered … transferring to a school with a real training facility?

Worst suggestion so far. Drop out of this school and enroll in a different school because the gym is subpar? Seriously? Dropping the class, maybe. But dropping out of the school? Unreal.[/quote]

You have gotten some good advice and lots of piss poor advice. Your greatest limitation here seems to be your imagination rather than the lack of equipment.

When you speak to the instructor, do not assume he knows what you mean unless you are very clear; ‘what’s up with the bossu’ does not mean anything. Do not make assumption about what he means unless you were clear with your question and you confirm his answer. If there is not enough weight for you to complete a program that they want you to complete, that is an issue for them to deal with–you should not fake anything here.

They are required to provide a criteria for the course and a way of accessing progress/grades. If what they have is insignificant then it is the instructors/schools issue and they need to resolve it. Hell, maybe your instructor would let you use the other gym if you can provide proof of progress.

What you should do is figure out how to do a full body workout with what you have. There are stories here and elsewhere of guys and gals in the military using scrap metal and rocks to get workouts in while they are in the front lines. And guess what, they are not bitching.

Weighted chins, weighted push-ups (plates on back), and single leg squats and deads can get you pretty far. If that does not work, start picking up their machines.

I just want to add that I too took a weight training & conditioning class in college. Big mistake.

I was forced to lift, 4 times a week, after completing an hour long brutal conditioning workout (sprints, jump rope, games of ultimate frisbee masochistic ab circuits). I tried to “do my best” and take it seriously, and ended up wasting 8 weeks of lifting. :slight_smile: … My aerobic conditioning DID improve dramatically, though. :wink: I won’t even get into the idiotic lectures I was occasionally forced to sit through.

Since it’s obvious the course sucks, I would say drop it & switch to another if you still can. If you can’t, fake your 1RM, DO NOT push yourself during the workouts, and do what you need to do to get strong outside of it.

I don’t know if bitching about the content is really going to be worth your time.

Bloody Barbell Complex

Overhead squat for 10 reps

Hang clean for 10 reps

Standing military press for 10 reps

Bentover row for 10 reps

Lunge for 10 reps on each leg

Romanian deadlift for 20 reps

Front squat for 10 reps

Standing calf raise (barbell across upper back) for 30 reps

Bloody Dumbbell Complex

Standing hammer curl for 5 reps

Standing alternating shoulder press for 10 reps with each arm

Forward lunge for 10 reps with each leg

Bentover alternating row for 10 reps with each arm

Reverse lunge with overhead press (palms facing each other) for 10 reps with each leg

Romanian deadlift for 20 reps

Standing calf raise (arms hanging at sides) for 30 reps

These two guys helped me with my conditioning and my strength.

For the full article
http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/blood_on_the_barbell_waterbury&cr=

fake it, n do some conditioning work. Weak Links etc.