T Nation

Coolest Tri-Sport League Ever

I was watching some Ironman a few weeks ago, and I thought "My, this really sucks!’
It was just boring. It is meant to be a manly sport, a test of attribute, it is meant to be awesome, but really it just sucked. A triathlon? what is manly about that? RELATIVE. I am not saying triathlons suck, I am just saying there are cooler more manly things you could do.

I derived the things that made things manly and awesome.
People like football because of the tactics and the contact.
People like fighting because of the contact, and power.
I thought, what is more manly than woodchopping? I have seen few wood chopping events, and you dont get more manly men than people who compete there! They look like they could drink a keg in 20 seconds, then belch loudly from their swole chests and then throw the nearest tree a mile long. Well, they do throw logs, don’t they? Heh.
The public like watching the olympic weightlifting because it is the only time they see ‘strong’ people. They like strength, pure strength. But, I am sorry, it is my opinion Powerlifters show their strength better.

So we have contact, strength and awsome beer drinking ability. But I dont think people would continue watching a sport for the player’s beer drinking ability for very long, nor would it be healthy for the athlete. So I thought, 'what am I missing?" Agility!
Rockclimbing is the perfect balance between endurance, basic strength and agility. But people dont care about that. So how about EXTREME ROCKCLIMBING! both verticle AND horizontal challenge. Time trial a course, jumping, pulling, and flinging their way across insane terrain, ledge to ledge and basic (relative to a pro-climber’s point of view) verticles.

I reckon it would be so cool to have a tri-sport league which consisted of a Powerlifting event, a xtreme rockclimbing timetrial and then finish with an MMA fight to tap out or knock out! Now THAT would show a man his athleticism! I would have liked to include woodchopping, but rockclimbing works more smoothly as a combination.

What do you reckon? Have you a better idea for a tri-sport league? Lets face it, triathlon sucks, we could do so much better.
What three sports would you have?

hmmm…

this would really be fuckin interesting to watch.

MMA (or just stand up fighting), then strongman contest (which indirectly involves oly, p-lifting and highland games) and third would be lumberjacking (like those competitions on TV).

Rugby

/thread

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Rugby

/thread[/quote]

agreed

rugby incorporates everything your waffleing on about!

Instead of MMA, how about bear wrestling?

Yep, triathlon is boring to watch, even if it’s the king of endurance sports.

And there’s chessboxing.

Modern pentathlon also comes to mind. Particularly it’s finish is a nice idea.

Rofl bear wrestling. one of my mates suggested that.

I always found it odd how they choose some the sports they combine. For example, the one where they ski for miles and then shoot at targets with pellet guns or something.

For entertainment you need to not only Frankenstein together some of the most cluster-fucked events but also have an element of pain involved.

Like for example:

the 100 yard dash…

followed by speed checkers where every time you’re jumped you get shocked in the testicles

Tell me you wouldn’t pay good money to see that.

[quote]forevernade wrote:

I derived the things that made things manly and awesome.
People like football because of the tactics and the contact.
People like fighting because of the contact, and power.
I thought, what is more manly than woodchopping? I have seen few wood chopping events, and you dont get more manly men than people who compete there! [/quote]
Hockey.

Again, hockey.

[quote]
So we have contact, strength and awsome beer drinking ability. But I dont think people would continue watching a sport for the player’s beer drinking ability for very long, nor would it be healthy for the athlete. So I thought, 'what am I missing?" Agility![/quote]

Hockey.

You can’t wrestle a wild bear (unless your name is Zangief). Hunters call that “being eaten.”

I would combine MMA, flip cup, and golf, in that order.