T Nation

Cool View of God, Life, and Wealth

A refreshing view of God, Life, and Wealth. Almost 100 years old. It helped in restorting some damaged parts of my relationship with the Big Guy..

http://scienceofgettingrich.net/sogr.pdf

Last call ...

Wherever the is unexpressed possibility or function not performed, there is unsatisfied desire. Desire is possibility seeking expression or function seeking performance.

The desire for riches is simply the capacity for larger life seeking fulfillment. It is power seeking to manifest which causes desire. That which makes you want more money is the same as that which makes the plant grow: it is life seeking fuller expression.

You must want real life, not mere pleasure or sensual gratification. Life is the performance of function, and the individual really lives only when he performs every function - physical, mental, and spiritual - of which he is capable, without excess in any.

All that there is of possibility is seeking expression through people. God wants those who can play music to have pianos and ever other instrument and to have the means to cultivate their talents to the fullest extent.

He wants those who can appreciate beauty to be able to surround themselves with beautiful things. He wants those who can discern truth to have every opportunity to travel and observe. He wants those who can appreciate dress to be beautifully clothed, and those who can appreciate good food to be luxuriously fed.

So you need not hesitate to ask largely.

The grateful mind is constantly fixed upon the best. Therefore it tends to become the best. It takes the form or character of the best, and will receive the best.

There is not the least doubt that he (God) will do away with plutocrats, trust magnates, captains of industry, and politicians as soon as they can be spared, but in the meantime, they are all very necessary. Remember that they are helping to arrange the lines of transmission along which your riches will come to you, and be grateful.

When things reach you, they will be in the hands of others, who will ask an equivalent for them. And you can only get what is yours by giving the other person what is rightfully his.

When you are in doubt, wait. Fall back on the contemplation of your vision, and increase your faith and purpose. And by all means, in times of doubt and indecision, cultivate gratitude.

"Golden Rule" Jones of Toledo: "What I want for myself, I want for everybody."

The person who is merely a "good" worker, filling his place to the very best of his ability and satisfied with that, is valuable to his employer, and it is not to the employer's interest to promote him. He is worth more where he is.

When you make a failure, it is because you have not asked for enough. Keep on, and a larger thing then you were seeking will certainly come to you. Remember this.

Not everyone can attain wealth. Just as not everyone can become a doctor or lawyer.

We have to use our God given abilities in whatever direction that they take us.

Why not? Wealth is nothing more than a possession. Why can't anyone become a Doctor, or a lawyer if they so desired?

ability never has, nor will it ever have anything to do with the attainment/acheivment of something.

All things being equal desire if the dividing line.

You think everyone can become a brain surgeon?

Hmmm, like the Janitor at your childs school for example?

Maybe you better think that one through.

I have. I think anyone can do just about anything they want if they are determined enough to do it. Most janitors won't doesn't mean they lack the ability.

Most people who have money did it not by succeeding but by failing until they did succeed.

So, anyone can do anything? Is that your assumption?

That means that that same Janitor can operate a fighter jet, be a brain surgeon and take an IQ test and score 175.

Right?

All he has to do is work really hard.

(eye roll)

Hey, it worked for Good Will Hunting.

There may indeed be a limit to each of us with regards to potential. I am an introvert, extremely patient, and rather hard to anger. For a while I attributed this to a strong will. Looking back, it see its just part of theintrovert` package.

If I were to expect everybody else, and especially extroverts, to develop self-control like mine, i.e. get them to shut up and act like me, I would be dissapointed 75% of the time, since there are 3 extroverts for 1 introvert out there.

If people can be so divided over just 1 trait, imagine achievements that require people to have it all.

Its all relative and, IMO, distributed in a bell curve or pyramid way. While the potential to have it all is not equal for everyone, a burning desire inline with ones true nature will act as a catalyst to the next level.

Pretty much everyone can learn, and learning is all you really need for most things, isn't it? As long as you have the time, the money and the willpower, coudln't you learn just about anything?

Anyone can learn anything. They may not be great at it, but they can learn it. Einstein was told he was an idiot in third grade He seemed to prove people wrong. your very premise is totally against the american dream, and the very principles of the Bible which both of us believe in.

Worked well for Roger Bannister!

roll all you want. some of the most successful people became that way because the didn't listen to those telling them it can't be done.

You might be interested in reading failing forward by John Maxwell. I am sure you have heard of him.

Hey, I have an idea!

Let's test your little theory.

The next time you roll into a 7/11 tell the rapidly aging 40 year old lady behind the counter that she could become a brain surgeon. All she has to do is try really hard.

Yea..that will workout just fine.

Or maybe stop by the Burger King and mosey on up to the pasty white chubby manager and tell him that he could beat Lance Armstrong in the next Tour De France.

All he has to do is try really hard and he has it made. :slight_smile:

Life is wonderful.....now go put your theory to the test.

It's fun typing posts on a message board. I like it...far more than I should....But that whole nasty reality thing is happening while you and I are doing this.

DANG! I hate when that happens.

:slight_smile:

It is already tested. The nay sayers just havn't figured it out yet.

I can't give anyone desire. Which is the key component. You seem to think I am saying everyone will do something. I am not. I am saying anyone can become what they want. Which is proven time and time again.

You're right look at all the people who do something with their life vs. those that don't.

This is just sad.

He could have the potential to do it. There is an old saying "even a lame duck can beat the champ on bad day".

I told you earlier, it has already been proved correct by those who wouldn't listen to the nay sayers.

Your right! some people are getting better becasue they try, and don't believe the nay sayers. While others are getting farther and farther behind.

not me I just feel sorry for them.
Personal Hell: The person you are meeting the person God planned on you being.

haney,

I'm nost saying someone can't "do better" as you stated. I agree we can all "do better."

However, doing better is a far cry from the blather that that "book" promotes.

The fact is the fat chub at Burger King cannot become the next Lance Armstrong, no matter how hard he tries.

Yes, he can lose weight and enter cycliing contests and "do better" than he is. But he is not going to be the next Lance Armstrong. And the lady behind the counter at the 7/11 is [b]not]/b] going to be a brain surgeon. But she can do better for sure.

I disagree with that. Simply because the Bible is against that, and so is every success principle there is. If they want to do it then it can be done. It may not be likely that it will happen in the time span most people would like, but it is possible. Consider the parable of the tortise and the hare.

Since you enjoy using biblical quotes Here are a few on what you can be

Psa 21:2 Thou hast given him his heart's desire, and hast not withheld the request of his lips. Selah.

Pro 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Mat 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Mat 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Now which part of those versus excludes the guy at BK or the lady at 7/11?

Also do you even know who John Maxwell is? Have you even read failing forward? Why call it blather?

But then the question becomes, who asks who does not expect?

As you know "God knows what you desire before you even ask."

In other words, the lady at the 7/11 won't be asking the crator of the universe if she can become a brain surgeon.

Perhaps God implanted in her the belief that she is able to do X and no more.

Her prayer may very well be for more money and for her husband to stop drinking. And perhaps many more important items.

Please don't take this personally. I read enough to know that it's blather.

By the way, do some research and find out how many middle aged women with only a GED become brain surgeons.

Or for that matter how many pudgy Burger King managers become Tour De France champions.

We are all blessed with certain gifts. It is always a good idea to figure out what these gifts are and exploit them to the best of our ability.

Can the Burger King manager become a Supervisor in charge fof 7 stores? Can he rise to the level of President of Burger King?

Sure why not?

Ok but her ability is no less deminished, just her desire. Which is what I said was the very thing that makes people what they are. If she doesn't want to be a brain surgeon then she won't be, but the potential for it could still be there.

perhaps Satan implanted in her she can do no more than X. After all He is the great deceiver?

Then by that very admission you have advoated any nonbeliever the right to say the same about the Bible. Also John Maxwell is one of the most well known speakers on leadership. He is also most likely on your pastors book shelf. Since he mentors more pastors on leadership than anyone else at this current time. It is ok to say you are close minded.

Who ever said success was a statistic? Do some research and tell me what the chances of Rudy Ruettiger playing a game for ND were? You know he said getting the movie made was even harder than getting on the field.

You are going of statistics. Success is not a statistic.

I agree that "gifts" play a part, but it is a small part. I think of it as a sign that points you in the right direction. It is not the path, and it is not the working part of success. Just a hint.

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Glad to hear it.