T Nation

Cool to be an American?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/ap_on_re_eu/eu_election_an_american_abroad

This article disgusts me. What kind of a pussy is too afraid to share that he’s from America simply because he doesn’t want to be judged or “find yourself pressed to be some kind of apologist for Washington.” Heaven forbid “you wind up feeling ashamed and alone.” He’s not even talking about being in super-dangerous parts of the world.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Electing a bad candidate to please assholes overseas does not sound like a sensible move.

I spend a couple of years traveling around Central and South America. I was in Colombia when GWB was elected the second time.

I was tempted a few times to say I was Canadian but never did. I really can’t blame someone for wanting to avoid the conversation that they can sense is going to occur. It gets really old having to constantly hear the same criticisms of your government over and over and over and over again. It’s like a broken record and sometimes you just don’t want to get into it.

While most people that I encountered understood that the Americans traveling were of a different sort and had the ability to distinguish us from our government, there were certainly a few I encountered who didn’t like any American. I did my best not to let those people get to me.

Anyway, I think that Americans traveling and living elsewhere right now are just relieved to hear something positive about their government for a change.

“Will you wear your Stars and Stripes shirt now? You’re allowed!”

What. The. Fuck.

Not this again. The rest of the world (and most of the US, by the way) is wrong and John McCain and the republican party are right. Sure. Where do you get the ego? You may want to debate over the actual conservative-ness of the republican party of certain politicians or policies, but like it or not, the republicans had their shot for 8 years and fucked up pretty much everything which was able to be fucked up. There’s no way in hell they deserve another chance for at least 4 years.

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
Not this again. The rest of the world (and most of the US, by the way) is wrong and John McCain and the republican party are right. Sure. Where do you get the ego? You may want to debate over the actual conservative-ness of the republican party of certain politicians or policies, but like it or not, the republicans had their shot for 8 years and fucked up pretty much everything which was able to be fucked up. There’s no way in hell they deserve another chance for at least 4 years.[/quote]

The republicans controlled the white house and congress the past 8 years?

They don’t have to with Bush in charge, he just does whatever the hell he wants.

[quote]timbofirstblood wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081105/ap_on_re_eu/eu_election_an_american_abroad

This article disgusts me. What kind of a pussy is too afraid to share that he’s from America simply because he doesn’t want to be judged or “find yourself pressed to be some kind of apologist for Washington.”

Heaven forbid “you wind up feeling ashamed and alone.” He’s not even talking about being in super-dangerous parts of the world.[/quote]

somethings are better kept to yourself.

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
They don’t have to with Bush in charge, he just does whatever the hell he wants.[/quote]

He does whatever he thinks is best for America and that is why he is hated.

But at least he doesn’t double post.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
,

Double posting is what got us into this mess.

I am firmly against it.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
They don’t have to with Bush in charge, he just does whatever the hell he wants.

He does whatever he thinks is best for America and that is why he is hated.[/quote]

No, it’s because he does it without approval and against the law. Don’t misrepresent the sitation.

[quote]Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
They don’t have to with Bush in charge, he just does whatever the hell he wants.

He does whatever he thinks is best for America and that is why he is hated.

No, it’s because he does it without approval and against the law. Don’t misrepresent the sitation.

[/quote]

You are the one misrepresenting the facts.

Yeah you’re right. Lying about intelligence reports, illegal incarcerations, prisoner abuse, illegal wiretaps, those things never happened. I was confused for a minute. Sorry.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Ryan P. McCarter wrote:
They don’t have to with Bush in charge, he just does whatever the hell he wants.

He does whatever he thinks is best for America and that is why he is hated.[/quote]

No, he is hated because he killed hundreds of thousand of people, regardless of whether he though that was best for America.

Oh well, maybe Bin Laden is hated because he is a principled God fearing man.

Well whatever bush is hated for who cares. I for one am proud to be an American. I spent Jan. Feb. and part of March traveling around continental Europe and I was always proud to say I was an American.

I kept an American flag sewn on my pack the entire trip even though I always met people who “advised” me to take it off. Piss on what other people think. Canadians (not to pick on them) aren’t any better than US.

We give more foreign aid than any other county… We are the force behind the UN. I wonder if the rest of the world really thinks that they would be better off without us.

I think we should say ok then you (meaning the rest of the UN.) deal with Putin, Russia, Georgia, Kim Jong Il, defending S. Korea, Genocide in Africa, Amadenajad, Iran, Iraq, The Taliban, Hugo Chavez, Venezuela, Tsunamis, etc…

See my point.

[quote]1porsche wrote:

I think we should say ok then you (meaning the rest of the UN.) deal with Putin, Russia, Georgia, Kim Jong Il, defending S. Korea, Genocide in Africa, Amadenajad, Iran, Iraq, The Taliban, Hugo Chavez, Venezuela, Tsunamis, etc…

See my point.

[/quote]

America is a busybody that always sticks her nose in things that are definitely not her business.

You have to understand that we so not give a shit about South Korea, Venezuela, Iran, Iraq or the Taliban and they usually do not give a shit about us.

We like that.

[quote]Christine wrote:
I spend a couple of years traveling around Central and South America. I was in Colombia when GWB was elected the second time.

I was tempted a few times to say I was Canadian but never did. I really can’t blame someone for wanting to avoid the conversation that they can sense is going to occur. It gets really old having to constantly hear the same criticisms of your government over and over and over and over again. It’s like a broken record and sometimes you just don’t want to get into it.

While most people that I encountered understood that the Americans traveling were of a different sort and had the ability to distinguish us from our government, there were certainly a few I encountered who didn’t like any American. I did my best not to let those people get to me.

Anyway, I think that Americans traveling and living elsewhere right now are just relieved to hear something positive about their government for a change.

[/quote]

I just got back from Colombia, and it’s still the same.

Most people hate America but also want to live there.

They hated Bush, and wanted Obama to win the election even though Bush was for the free-trade deal with Colombia and Obama was against it.

They hated Chavez, but loved it when he insulted Bush or America.

In short, they seemed a long on opinions, but short on facts.