T Nation

Cool Tips..Fish Oil

Okay, I know that beneficial fish oil dosing has been beaten to death on this forum; however, I want to hit it one more time relative to JB’s “cool tip” recommendation. As stated, the suggested dosing parameter is 6-10g of aggregate fish oil, predicated on a 30% EPA/DHA concentration. So, for example, if consuming 6g/day @ 30%, one would be taking in 1800mg of EPA/DHA per day. Is this correct or is my logic flawed? So, if correct, the magic number would be minimum of 1.8g of the good stuff dailly?

Gold star to you!

[quote]Snoop wrote:
Gold star to you! [/quote]

Ahh, I love it when I can utilize my first grade math skills : ). I have a penchant for overthinking things.

I just wanted to ensure that if I’m using a product with high concentrations of EPA/DHA per dose, that it isn’t necessary to consume 6g TOTAL fish oil.

thx

g:

This is ALWAYS a great question to bring up and debate (because it’s so confusing!)

CURRENT RECOMMEDATIONS (if I read them correctly) are (in terms of COMBINED DHA/EPA):

MINIMUM: 1-2 GRAMS

“IDEAL”: 5-6 GRAMS

CHRONIC DISEASE STATES: 10-20 GRAMS

(By the way…your conversion looks great!)

Let’s discuss and debate this, though…much like protein requirements, there is a LOT of disagreement on this topic…

Mufasa

On the Fat Fast, I take in about 12 grams daly of salmon oil along with 12 grams of flax oil. I wonder if the drastic change in diet (calorie cutting, carb restriction) would have any correlation to state of injury or sickness in reference to the body’s ability to recover. I have felt better on the Fat Fast than I do with a regular dietary intake of whole foods. Aside from chewing my food, that is.
Dan

Mufasa, I imagine ideal dosages should probably depend on body weight and body type. I have seen it reccomended that people who are meso’s consume on the higher end of the spectrum(6grams) and ectos on the lower end(2-3grams).

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
g:

This is ALWAYS a great question to bring up and debate (because it’s so confusing!)

CURRENT RECOMMEDATIONS (if I read them correctly) are (in terms of COMBINED DHA/EPA):

MINIMUM: 1-2 GRAMS

“IDEAL”: 5-6 GRAMS

CHRONIC DISEASE STATES: 10-20 GRAMS

(By the way…your conversion looks great!)

Let’s discuss and debate this, though…much like protein requirements, there is a LOT of disagreement on this topic…

Mufasa
[/quote]

I agree, Mufasa… Let the knowledge exchange commence. My sentiments about dosages chime with yours. I’ve always been inconsistant with Fish Oil, due to the reflux engendered by capsules. I’m going to try the liquid (health from the Sun)delivery this time and see if it helps.

cheers!

I keep it simple and take 6g everyday. That along with fish I eat and all other source of good and varied fats, flax, nuts, coconut, meats,olives, olive oil, etc…

Thats what I do. Try and keep it simple and keep an eye on roughly getting an equal amount over time, not daily, but make sure I dont short myself of any source for extended periods.

Just my take on the subject,
Phill

I use cod liver oil…makes me gag sometimes but one tablespoon provides 2.8g n-3FA. I have no idea what overall effects it is having since I have only been taking it for about a month. I do notice that my general disposition is improved and I haven’t been ill even when my house was taken over by strep throat I managed to avoid getting it! The mere fact that I didn’t get sick is enough to convince me that CLO is the greatest thing ever made since I generally end up getting whatever the kids drag home!
The other thing that I like about CLO is it is regulated by USP (United States Pharmacopia) so I know what I am taking unlike other supplements which I generally regard as dubious. I guess that has something to do with the fact that I work in the pharmaceutical industry as a process chemist.

I think that the major point of confusion is that when you read any article (especially on Nutrition and Bodybuiding Forums), people will discuss requirements and/or amounts they are taking either as a) total fish oil (in grams) OR rarely b) combined EPA/DHA.

Tell me if I’m mistaken, guys…I really think that some of these amounts that people say they take (“1 gram of fish oil”)will not yield many of the beneficial effects we are looking for…

Mufasa

Ummmm…

Seems like that brings us back to g’s original point!

I think that when reading threads on these Forums, we really need to know what people are talking about in terms of their recommendations…

Mufasa

Musafa,

I agree w/ you. It is hard to tell what the person is talking about quite often b/c he/she doesn’t specify whether they are talkin’ about total grams or combined grams of EPA/DHA. I go for 3-6 grams combined EPA/DHA. (I’m usually more toward the 3 gram end)

Danny

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Tell me if I’m mistaken, guys…I really think that some of these amounts that people say they take (“1 gram of fish oil”)will not yield many of the beneficial effects we are looking for…

Mufasa[/quote]

Mafusa,

Given the diet of most people (not necess the avg reader here) for many nutrients there is the optimal amount, but then there is the fact that even small amounts of various nutrients will be far better then nothing (or whatever their diet contains).

There is also the issue that people are biochemical individuals and that optimal amounts can and I will argue do vary and vary WILDLY from person to person (and from healthy to sick e.g. vit C).

“Blam’s”/PD approach is certainly a good starting point for fish oil doses BTW.

So I have a bottle of fish oil capsules that contains 300mg EPA and 200mg DHA. I’ve been taking three per day up to now. At 5’11", 215lbs, should I be taking four pills (2g EPA/DHA) or six pills (3g EPA/DHA)? Or even more?

Damn, at six pills per day, my $42 bottle of 300 capsules will barely last seven weeks!

On another note, are there any opinions as to the optimal time to ingest fish oil? Is it better to split up the dose and take it multiple times throughout the day? Should it always be taken with food (without regard to the fish burps problem)?

A lot of the studies (especially cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory) on EPA/DHA usually had the dosage at atleast 2-3 grams. It makes sense then to dose at this level if you want to be sure you are reaping the theraputic benefits.

Chris:

1)The half life of fish oil is about two days. This means it doesn’t really matter what time of day you take it.

  1. I agree with blam…the 2-3 gram range is pretty well supported in order reap the health benefits…

Mufasa

[quote]ChrisPowers wrote:

Damn, at six pills per day, my $42 bottle of 300 capsules will barely last seven weeks!
[/quote]

Chris, if you don’t mind the liquid, “Health from the Sun” is a very cost/quality effective option. I found it at an online retailer for $5/8oz bottle. Each bottle has 47 servings, with each serving (1 tsp)containing 1.5g of EPA/DHA. It is also molecularly distilled…HFS is a very reputable brand.

Daah! So I guess it’s time I upped my dosage just to be sure. I’m thinking five capsules per day is a happy medium at 2.5 grams combined EPA/DHA. Thanks for the help, fellas.

fyi- PBL sells a pharmaceutical grade fish oil capsule; a 100cap bottle of 516mg EPA/276mg DHA for 24.99.

[quote]gnostic228 wrote:
ChrisPowers wrote:

Damn, at six pills per day, my $42 bottle of 300 capsules will barely last seven weeks!

Chris, if you don’t mind the liquid, “Health from the Sun” is a very cost/quality effective option. I found it at an online retailer for $5/8oz bottle. Each bottle has 47 servings, with each serving (1 tsp)containing 1.5g of EPA/DHA. It is also molecularly distilled…HFS is a very reputable brand.[/quote]

That’s a great price, thanks! I hope Health from the Sun is as good as you say they are. :slight_smile: