Cool Deadlifting Vid - Great for Motivation

Anyone who hasn’t passed out under a bar just ain’t boneheaded enough to focus on the lift to the exclusion of breathing. I’ve managed it whilst trying to stay tight and repping out on overhead presses, that was a fun experience - everything goes numb and you can think but can’t control your body. I had the bar crash onto my head and drop to my waist as I stood crumpled against a wall twitching. I knew what was happening but could do absolutely nothing except shake uncontrollably and attempt to stay upright. Still had the bar in my hands though when it stopped, so after catching a couple of breaths I managed to finish the set.

Remember to breathe :slight_smile:

[quote]rasturai wrote:
you guys are ridiculous for real. He hit a PR on the deadlift, and shouted. Now I know he’s not the only motherfucker here who has yelled and been pumped up over hitting a PR. He might’ve been workin at that for a while. And he passed out. I’ve seen oly lifters pass out coming up from the clean…are they also tools and retards as well?
I’ve never passed out but I know I’ve been lightheaded before doing heavy sets of 405 on the squat.[/quote]

I agree the lift and lifter should not be ridiculed in this situation. It just sucks that he crashed into the rack for all parties involved.

As a note, I’ve gotten light headed from heavy deadlifts and the closest I’ve ever came to passing out is doing snatches where I will occasionally have to take a knee after heavy attempts.

I’ve gotten lightheaded from squatting, but it is never like I am going to pass out, its only an exertional thing.

There is also a video of a bigger powerlifter passing out after missing a heavy deadlift.

So, I’ve noticed that pulls, deadlifts, cleans, and snatches, have a bigger potential for this sort of thing.

Does anybody know why this is? I’m thinking it is positional, i.e. the bent over position of as opposed to the somewhat more upright squatting posture.

Has anybody ever passed out from heavy squat singles?

[quote]theuofh wrote:

[quote]rasturai wrote:
you guys are ridiculous for real. He hit a PR on the deadlift, and shouted. Now I know he’s not the only motherfucker here who has yelled and been pumped up over hitting a PR. He might’ve been workin at that for a while. And he passed out. I’ve seen oly lifters pass out coming up from the clean…are they also tools and retards as well?
I’ve never passed out but I know I’ve been lightheaded before doing heavy sets of 405 on the squat.[/quote]

I agree the lift and lifter should not be ridiculed in this situation. It just sucks that he crashed into the rack for all parties involved.

As a note, I’ve gotten light headed from heavy deadlifts and the closest I’ve ever came to passing out is doing snatches where I will occasionally have to take a knee after heavy attempts.

I’ve gotten lightheaded from squatting, but it is never like I am going to pass out, its only an exertional thing.

There is also a video of a bigger powerlifter passing out after missing a heavy deadlift.

So, I’ve noticed that pulls, deadlifts, cleans, and snatches, have a bigger potential for this sort of thing.

Does anybody know why this is? I’m thinking it is positional, i.e. the bent over position of as opposed to the somewhat more upright squatting posture.

Has anybody ever passed out from heavy squat singles?[/quote]

I didn’t pass out but, I sort of got a feeling of vertigo. I started trying to walk and knew it wasn’t gonna go good so I hugged the squat rack till it passed. In my case I think it had more to do with blood pressure then anything. Some times when i go heavy I feel like maybe I am trying to suck in to much air and that makes me sorta dizzy.

[quote]theuofh wrote:

[quote]rasturai wrote:

Never passed out but a few years ago I had to lay down after a set of 20 with 225 lbs to gather myself. I was dizzy and shaky for about 20 minutes afterwards (I could only squat 315 so that was a lot). With better conditioning I eventually squatted 275x20 without the dizziness and such.

Passing out during a max effort squat would just plain suck. Good way to get hurt badly.

[quote]Ben_VFR85 wrote:
Dude the remembering to breathe thing is advice… that was a positive and helpful post in this thread and you’re giving attitude to him because…?

Seriously WTF?![/quote]

Giving someone attitude for being helpful is bad mmkay? At the same time it’s not surprising that the guy got a little ticked off from some of the crap people wrote. He took it out on the wrong guy and while that’s bad it’s also slightly understandable given the situation.

Ike, I’ll have to admit that I laughed hard when I saw the video, it did look funny. Keep at it though and make sure you get the last laugh, good luck. :wink:

I know. I’m slightly joking. There are 50k views on youtube, another load on ebaums and a lot of bullshit advice. I know to breathe. I know to correct my form. I appreciate actual criticism if it’s meant to help. It’s just hard to tell what is help and what goes along with fat kid’s criticism.

I appreciate and will consider whatever serious advice is given out. I’m training with a good friend who knows what he’s doing. He doesn’t even remember filming the hit into the rack, so he’s not a jerk for laughing. He was almost as pumped that I got it just because of where I started from a month earlier.

[quote]theuofh wrote:

[quote]rasturai wrote:
you guys are ridiculous for real. He hit a PR on the deadlift, and shouted. Now I know he’s not the only motherfucker here who has yelled and been pumped up over hitting a PR. He might’ve been workin at that for a while.

And he passed out. I’ve seen oly lifters pass out coming up from the clean…are they also tools and retards as well?

I’ve passed out from 3-5 rep sets of single rep squats if that makes any differance.

[quote]Krish wrote:
I’ve passed out from 3-5 rep sets of single rep squats if that makes any differance.[/quote]

Its pretty discomforting to know that one day I may encounter the dilemma of going for that last rep and eating shit or giving up. I’m pretty sure I’d rather save it for another day.

I still think its more common on pulls.

[quote]theuofh wrote:

[quote]Krish wrote:
I’ve passed out from 3-5 rep sets of single rep squats if that makes any differance.[/quote]

Its pretty discomforting to know that one day I may encounter the dilemma of going for that last rep and eating shit or giving up. I’m pretty sure I’d rather save it for another day.

I still think its more common on pulls.
[/quote]

Not a lot of people in the weight room will even reach the intensity on which they contemplate the option of fainting versus 1 more rep in their set. In my experience when I was doing my single leg squats each rep made it more hard for me to get full deep breathes my chest was thumping and I thought my partners right here If I faint he’ll catch me so I went for it and the next thing I remember is getting helped up onto a bench.

My partner has fainted mid set of heavy push presses , He told me his breathing got screwed up through out the set. Luckily the Barbell fell forward and not on top of him.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
've seen oly lifters pass out coming up from the clean…are they also tools and retards as well?[/quote]

Not quite the same thing.

So… any good damage to the face?

I’m impressed that he was able to do 329 lbs with a double overhand grip so early in his training. He gets an 'atta boy from me just for that.

[quote]JEATON wrote:
I’m impressed that he was able to do 329 lbs with a double overhand grip so early in his training. He gets an 'atta boy from me just for that.
[/quote]

That’s good for a beginner. I couldnt do that with 225 my first months of deadlifting. Good job dude. Train hard.

[quote] ike wrote:
This is me.

I started a month ago being able to deadlift 245 without any previous lifting. I know my form breaks and is shitty. Too bad. The Valsalva maneuver hit me and I lost conciousness. I’ve dialed in my form and have lifted 315 for 4-5 singles on Monday and Thursday.

I’m taking more time to recover to make sure I get it perfectly next time. If you want to take this in the context of some experienced lifter passing out on 329, sure, I should be lifting more. If you want to take this as what it is, someone who started a month earlier t 245 and is just pumped to be lifting, that’s a little closer to reality.[/quote]

Way to go, Ike. I had some guy on here post a video of me falling over deadlifting once. You kick ass for owning your lift and any asshole who thinks he can call you a douche for working your ass off.

FYI - I posted the video in GAL after I saw it on Phil Steven’s FB. It is hilarious and wonderful, and I hope you aren’t hurt!

Ike, your not the only one who has passed out doing it, Ive come close myself.

I think you should move away from the DB’s though lol.

Finally seems like people came to their senses in this thread. It can be a serious thing passing out…I think it is also more common on the deads…I think for sure I’ve done cleans only a few times…but the one time I did them I definately got a little too lightheaded and had to gather myself.

Have you passed out since that vid PMPM? I remember seeing it a long time ago

Stitches came out on Thursday without a hitch. My back is a little tight, but nothing the Chiropracter couldn’t handle. I’m going to go in Monday before I lift next, just to be 100% sure I’m in ship-shape to continue with heavy weights. I did some heavy partial squatting 2 days after this and it probably put more pressure on my back than the deadlifting, so that could be it too. I know I’m not familiar enough with my body to judge between deep muscle soreness, sore joints, or something minor in need of repair, so I’m getting checked out by my doctor and chiro before I do anything over 330 again.

As far as my face goes the scar won’t grow hair and it borders between my chin and under my face, so it could be visible if I let a beard grow back. The bone must have gotten chipped, because bone has been growing in that spot and my jawbone is now thicker on that side. It’s not noticeable except to me and it might not be permanent.

P.S.
Dinosaur Training is awesome. I’m sure there are some Brooks Kubik fans on this board, but I just have to echo how inspirational his books have been in starting my training. I’m not going to be reckless and dangerous, but I know going hard and heavy will make me stronger.

[quote] ike wrote:
I know. I’m slightly joking. There are 50k views on youtube, another load on ebaums and a lot of bullshit advice.[/quote]

…and on failblog

[quote] ike wrote:
Stitches came out on Thursday without a hitch. My back is a little tight, but nothing the Chiropracter couldn’t handle. I’m going to go in Monday before I lift next, just to be 100% sure I’m in ship-shape to continue with heavy weights. I did some heavy partial squatting 2 days after this and it probably put more pressure on my back than the deadlifting, so that could be it too. I know I’m not familiar enough with my body to judge between deep muscle soreness, sore joints, or something minor in need of repair, so I’m getting checked out by my doctor and chiro before I do anything over 330 again.

As far as my face goes the scar won’t grow hair and it borders between my chin and under my face, so it could be visible if I let a beard grow back. The bone must have gotten chipped, because bone has been growing in that spot and my jawbone is now thicker on that side. It’s not noticeable except to me and it might not be permanent.

P.S.
Dinosaur Training is awesome. I’m sure there are some Brooks Kubik fans on this board, but I just have to echo how inspirational his books have been in starting my training. I’m not going to be reckless and dangerous, but I know going hard and heavy will make me stronger. [/quote]

Good to see you take care of your health like this, and good to hear that you’re still alive.

So what story are you going to use to pick up chicks with this scar?

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Finally seems like people came to their senses in this thread. It can be a serious thing passing out…I think it is also more common on the deads…I think for sure I’ve done cleans only a few times…but the one time I did them I definately got a little too lightheaded and had to gather myself.

Have you passed out since that vid PMPM? I remember seeing it a long time ago[/quote]

No, I actually didn’t pass out on that vid - it was just a loss of balance. I’m clumsy, not hard core.

I certainly see spots and get light headed, and I’ve had to lie down, but I’ve never passed out.

For Ike: