T Nation

Cool '80 Olympia Video (and Song Help)

I’ll keep it simple (and hope this hasn’t been posted before). A youtube redux of Arnold’s and Mike Mentzer’s posing routines from the '80 Olympia, but very skillfully done by someone w/mad video editing skills. I liked it, anyway:

Arnold’s body language says a lot about his attitude and approach to a crowd, and Mentzer, however possibly kooky otherwise, had a killer physique.

Wondering, too, if anyone can identify the tune used in the vid for me.

Thanks.
-F

Awesome

Just wanted to add this to your post too.

Arnold’s 1980 routine. Looks absolutely amazing. It’s no Arnold 1974 but this is still a physique that would make me want to become a bodybuilder.

After listening to the lyrics and a little googling, I answered my own question:

Deep Purple - Perfect strangers
Know almost nothing about the band, but the song has a cool, heavy, old-school vibe that made me curious. You can hear a definite Zep influence.

I looked at the '80 posing routine, which I’ve seen before. Not vintage Arnold, but still pretty damn good, you’re right.

Lyrics:

Can you remember remember my name
As I flow through your life
A thousand oceans I have flown
And cold spirits of ice
All my life
I am the echo of your past

I am returning the echo of a point in time
Distant faces shine
A thousand warriors I have known
And laughing as the spirits appear
All your life
Shadows of another day

And if you hear me talking on the wind
You’ve got to understand
We must remain
Perfect Strangers

I know I must remain inside this silent
well of sorrow

A strand of silver hanging through the
sky
Touching more than you see
The voice of ages in your mind
Is aching with the dead of the night
Precious life (your tears are lost in
falling rain)

And if you hear me talking on the wind
You’ve got to understand
We must remain
Perfect Strangers

I like how Mentzer flexed his chest at 4:24, Pretty cool.

Damn Mentzer was a beast. As much as we all love Arnold, no way in hell did he even belong up on that stage in 1980. Just seeing him standing ‘relaxed’ next to Mentzer makes him look out of place (how skinny were his legs), only his arms really hold up.

S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KGgDFn88k&feature=related

NO way in hell Zane should ever have beaten Mentzer at this show. If you watch the whole thing, I’m actually imnpressed with MIke’s posing. QUite a few shots you don’t really see these days.

S

Deep Purple are an old ass band that is still around, good music to listen to but can get quite repetitive.

Recommend:
Child In Time
Into The Fire
Black Night
Highway Star
Soldier OF Fortune

[quote]humanimal wrote:
Deep Purple are an old ass band that is still around, good music to listen to but can get quite repetitive.

Recommend:
Child In Time
Into The Fire
Black Night
Highway Star
Soldier OF Fortune[/quote]

Smoke on the water?

Anyways, that video was awesome!!!

Smoke on the Water is definately overrated.

Man, how much I love when Zane lifts up both of his arms, like some greek god. Amazing…

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KGgDFn88k&feature=related

NO way in hell Zane should ever have beaten Mentzer at this show. If you watch the whole thing, I’m actually imnpressed with MIke’s posing. QUite a few shots you don’t really see these days.

S
[/quote]

x2

Most of what i’ve seen of Mentzer was pictures in Darden’s books, and videos of him on youtube when he was training Coe, and his Ray Mentzer at the Nautilus studio and those really dont him justice.

His chest on that most muscluar…disgusting, in the best possible way.