Cookware For Lifters

Definitely great knives. And, not sure this has been mentioned yet, THE FOOD SCALE!

This reminded me how often I use kitchen shears. Theyā€™re pretty much just glorified heavy-duty scissors, but make dicing meat (steak strips, chicken chunks, whatever) tons faster.

Thatā€™s why you only use it for stuff thatā€™s supposed to be mushy or fall apart. Stews, pot roast, pulled pork, oatmeal (never tried it, but supposed to be good). Thereā€™s also the set it and forget it perk. Assemble the recipe in the morning or at lunchtime, flip it on, and itā€™s hands-off cooking ready when youā€™re home from work.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never understood why youā€™d need to slow cook oatmeal when it microwaves up in a matter of minutes. Maybe thereā€™s something Iā€™m missing.

I do love my slow cooker though. If I had my way, Iā€™d have a big old chest freezer, a mountain o Tupperware and I could food prep for a month at once, with as much variety as I could want.

thatā€™s really the biggest thing. The whole point of a crock pot for lifters is that you can make a LOT of food without a commensurate investment of time. Most of us men-folk tend to be pretty dumb in the kitchen, so simplicity is valued. Its hard to fuck up a crock pot recipe.

1 Like

The first time I used a crockpot, I used chicken breasts and put them in for too long with not enough waterā€¦I literally made the worst tasting pulled chicken you could ever imagine. I had to throw away 5lbs of chicken because it was so bad. Trust me you can fuck it up for sure haha

1 Like

I remember seeing something on facebook of kitchen failures where a dude was complaining to a slowcooker subreddit about their pot roast coming out dry and apparently they didnā€™t realize you needed to have it in some sort of liquidā€¦

I said it was hard, not impossible :wink:

1 Like

Oh yeah, wasnā€™t saying it to counter. More just evidence that, if you make something idiot-proof, theyā€™ll just build better idiots.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve thought about getting one for the kitchen even though I have some super sharp knives. My friend for stews or chili will cut up his ribeyes using shears. Looks like it would be just easier if you are cutting up a lot of stuff.

I have done this!

1 Like

My parents never had a crockpot and I didnā€™t know anyone that used a crockpot. So the first time I bought one I made the chicken based on something someone told me. Someone used that ā€œSet it and forget itā€ and I thought it was going to be easy. Well that part is true but, didnā€™t know there are some general guidelines for crockpots as well lol.

Rule #1 for me is never put lean meats in there lol. The fattier the better!

1 Like

My favorite thing in the crock pot is Ranchero Ribs. I donā€™t think I have ever cooked chicken in one since! :rofl:

lol love it.

I actually was responding to nutty, didnā€™t see your post yet when I posted.

Same thingā€™s true with the green egg. Itā€™s reallllly forgiving on most things, Iā€™ve left a whole chicken on for 90 minutes longer than I meant to, and it was still perfect.

Buuuuut, one time I tried to do shrimp on it. I think it was the first or second thing I tried, ever. I DESTROYED those little bastards. They literally disintegrated upon removing them from the grill.

2 Likes

Seafood especially shrimp, scallops, squid, octopus, etc you have to time right. Chewy shrimp is the worst lol.

Thatbsounds awesome. Recipe please?

One rack of pork ribs, turn over a rip off that membrane on the back side.
Cut into one or two rib segments. Salt and pepper. Lightly coat with flour and brown in hot skillet with a little oil. Drain on paper towels or whatever you use for that. Put in crock pot and dump a large jar of (however hot you like it) picante sauce over them. NO water.
Cook about six hours or until desired tenderness. ( I like mine to fall off the bone) serve with rice because there is all that yummy sauce in there.

1 Like