Cooking with Whey?

Hi, up until now I used casein to cook, but now seeing that whey is more competitive I plan to move to this.

My question is (if anyone has tried this before), any differences once in the oven with the Casein based recipe (I know it won’t explode lol, but perhaps whey doesn’t fit for cooking and I just don’t want to waste some trying without being sure of the results ^^')?

Regards,
Alex.

I’ve tried it and it hasn’t really ever worked out well, I kinda just gave up on it. I’m usually the only one that’ll eat whatever my creation is. It just gets a weird rubbery consistency.

Ok but have you tried with whey or casein based blends? Coz casein blend makes wonder in Berardi’s nuts bar recipe.

[quote]AlexD wrote:
Ok but have you tried with whey or casein based blends? Coz casein blend makes wonder in Berardi’s nuts bar recipe.[/quote]

Whey casein blends, Grow! Whey actually, and it may just be my retardedness in the kitchen that messes things up. Also, I attempted sticking it in lasagna and quiche type recipies. I just don’t think it heats all that well, if you stick it in coffee that’s hot, the same strange consistency appears.

Oh yeah I also had that thing when trying to do puddings once (I do flans and puddings with whey already).

The consistency appeared when I diluated the whey directly in hot water while on the other hand I I made a normal shake with water and then heated it up, it was ok.

I’ll just go and try it. Well I assume it should be fine as it works with casein.

i made protein muffins with whey and they worked out pretty well, through some slices of banana in and walnuts and some oats

Can anyone shed any light on the excessive heat of an oven breaking down the protein powder into something that is not usable by the body? A legitimate concern, no?

[quote]pch2 wrote:
I’ve tried it and it hasn’t really ever worked out well, I kind of just gave up on it. I’m usually the only one that’ll eat whatever my creation is. It just gets a weird rubbery consistency. [/quote]

I’ve tried making Brardi’s protein bar recipe, and they always came out like Styrofoam, also the mix tasted great, but as soon as I cooked them, the taste seemed to evaporate.

I modified the recipe with 1 extra egg, 1/2 cup milk, more sweetener, they still tasted like styrofoam.

I gave up on the recipe.

[quote]50_Caliber wrote:
pch2 wrote:
I’ve tried it and it hasn’t really ever worked out well, I kind of just gave up on it. I’m usually the only one that’ll eat whatever my creation is. It just gets a weird rubbery consistency.

I’ve tried making Brardi’s protein bar recipe, and they always came out like Styrofoam, also the mix tasted great, but as soon as I cooked them, the taste seemed to evaporate.

I modified the recipe with 1 extra egg, 1/2 cup milk, more sweetener, they still tasted like styrofoam.

I gave up on the recipe.[/quote]

I do this one without any sweeteners actually, just used a vanilla flavored prot. And it’s really good (well I also modified the quantity a bit to adapt to my daily intakes).

@Slash: imma try the muffins too =)

@Sklander: in case there would be any risk, I think you could avoid that as long as you don’t go to high with your oven, like not more than 200°C (about 400 Farenheit I guess).

Up. Well I looked a bit concerning the ‘denaturing Whey part’ with heat. It seems it does not invalidate the amounts of protein but in the worst case diminush the other benefits.

However I did not find actual research or scientific papers stating it, if you have this please let me know.

[quote]pch2 wrote:
AlexD wrote:
Ok but have you tried with whey or casein based blends? Coz casein blend makes wonder in Berardi’s nuts bar recipe.

Whey casein blends, Grow! Whey actually, and it may just be my retardedness in the kitchen that messes things up. Also, I attempted sticking it in lasagna and quiche type recipies. I just don’t think it heats all that well, if you stick it in coffee that’s hot, the same strange consistency appears. [/quote]

I don’t have a problem as long as it it’s mixed VERY well. Unless I making bars, I mix the protein with the other wet ingredients in the blender to ensure a uniform blend. Other wise I do get some clumping.