Cooking with Tuna?!

I usually either mix it with mayo or just swallow loads with water.

but since im pretty much living on the stuff for the next 8 weeks i was looking for some low carb ideas for cooking with tuna.

today i tried it out with no research

I fried a chopped onion, then added 2 tins of tuna, loads of chilli and garlic and some tumeric. it tasted well good and i got 2 meals out of it.

Any one else cook with it? and got some low carb recipes, that taste great and fill you up.

Scott

I like to make an omelette with tuna. You’ve probably tried tuna salad.

yep tuna salad has been done… but i find it hard to keep it low carb. dressings usually add tonnes of carbs. and olive oil gets boreing.

Im talking specifically about tuna that comes in tins here.

Scott

Tuna Egg Omlette

What I do is throw a can of tuna into a bowl, break 2-4 eggs, scramble it, throwing in pepper, and chopped up green onions.

Pam the frying pan ( don’t go too high for too long itll burn like olive oil )

Pour it on takes about 30-45 seconds for the pancake like mixture to cook up to 1-2 minutes for some people. Grab a large plate and slide however it takes you ( with a spatula if necessary on… flip the plate over onto the pan so you get the other side cooked too in like 30 seconds ( tada, protein pancake )

this should take you about 30-45 seconds to prep
2-3 minutes to cook and 30 seconds to clean the pan.

I like to add salsa on top.

or for a different flavor :

oh followup ~ spices

paprika - table spoon
cumin - table spoon

makes it even tastier - and or use of siracha hot sauce, of course beloved habanero hot sauce, or salsa

other stuff… adding a slice of cheese ~

I cook raw tuna but not the already cooked caned stuff.

Tuna burgers are pretty good - mix the tuna, raw eggs, and some flax meal together and form patties, then cook.

Edited - the recipie I use:
To make 2 burgers
3 cans tuna (canned salmon works good this way too)
2 whole eggs
1/4 cup flax meal
Any seasoning/spices you want to add (garlic, salt, dried onion, black pepper, ect.)

Drain the tuna
Beat the eggs and add to the tuna
Mix in the flax meal with the tuna and eggs

I have pan fried them olive oil (which I perfer because they don’t dry out as bad) and have also cooked them on a foreman grill, either works.

my easiest, cheapest low carb college meal:

-in a pan, throw in some olive oil
-throw in a can on tuna, sardines, shrimp… any canned meat you can find
-throw in some vegetables. getting in vegetables is always hard but just buy a bag of stir fry veggies
-spices/sauces to taste. easy just to add some salt, pepper, soy sauce, and hot sauce
-saute till it looks done, and consume.

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
Tuna burgers are pretty good - mix the tuna, raw eggs, and some flax meal together and form patties, then cook. [/quote]

im gonna try this.

macro breakdown of flax meal? and i actually have no idea what it is. lol

Scott

It’s just ground flax seeds (omega 3 fat and fiber), it helps hold the burgers together but I wouldn’t say it’s absolutely necessary.

i read up about it. sounds good. low carb too :smiley: going to get some tomorrow and have me some burgers.

going to put onions in the patties aswell. :smiley:

Scott

I heart this thread … great ideas fellas

What about mercury poisoning?

Take 1 can of tune, 1/2 avocado, and some hot sauce and mix it all up…very tasty. no need for mayo cuz the avocado takes care of that.

[quote]thrasher wrote:
What about mercury poisoning?[/quote]

what about it?

Salade Nicoise is a classic dish which makes wonderful use of canned tuna. Try it.

Also you can use tuna to spice up deviled eggs. Instead of stuffing the egg whites with just yolks and mayo, add some tuna into the mix.

[quote]thosebananas wrote:
thrasher wrote:

what about it? [/quote]

Isn’t it something to worry about if you’re practically living off tuna?

I haven’t read any recent studies about tuna, maybe mercury isn’t an issue anymore but Idk.

ill prob be having at least one tin a day.

Hope i dont die. :S

I like to mix my tuna with cottage cheese and a can of black beans a lil hot sauce.

[quote]thrasher wrote:
thosebananas wrote:
thrasher wrote:

what about it?

I haven’t read any recent studies about tuna, maybe mercury isn’t an issue anymore but Idk.
[/quote]

I have read the stuff from the FDA and CDC and yet I still eat 1-2 cans of chunk light tuna a day, 6-7 days a week, since I am not a child and not pregnant or may become pregnant I just don’t worry about it. FYI the FDA says if you weigh 150+ lbs (the heaviest weight they go up to) you can eat 1 can of chunk light tuna every 3 days, the CDC says you can have 1 serving of chunk light tuna a day (so 1 can every 2 days).

[quote]waldo21212 wrote:
thrasher wrote:
thosebananas wrote:
thrasher wrote:

what about it?

I have read the stuff from the FDA and CDC and yet I still eat 1-2 cans of chunk light tuna a day, 6-7 days a week, since I am not a child and not pregnant or may become pregnant I just don’t worry about it. FYI the FDA says if you weigh 150+ lbs (the heaviest weight they go up to) you can eat 1 can of chunk light tuna every 3 days, the CDC says you can have 1 serving of chunk light tuna a day (so 1 can every 2 days).[/quote]

Last month I also ate a good 2 pounds of tuna per day, and as far as I know I don’t have mercury poisoning.

Also, to the guy who suggested avocado and tuna. I love you. Why did I never think to do that??