Cooking With Oils... How Much to Use?

I have been cooking all my own food lately and have gotten into stir frying chicken with at on of vegetables in a pan.

My question is this: how much oil is to be used in this process? I have been using 2 Tbsp of canola, almond, or olive oil. Each Tbsp contains 14gms of fat (11/14 poly and mono unsat). Just wanted to be sure on how much to use - make sure I am not using too much or using too little.

Haha… Do y’all not use oils in your cooking?

Hey Sklander.

I’m sure that we all use oils when we cook. My guess as to why you haven’t gotten a response yet is that you didn’t give us too much information about you. Some more info would be good, such as weight, height, calories per day, what else are you eating and what your weight goals are - are you trying to gain or lose? Do you want a macro breakdown?

I’m positive that if you were a little more specific and gave more info, you’d get quite a few responses.

Age - 21
Weight - 172 lbs
Height - 5 10

Not sure on calories per day. It is something I have been trying to make time to figure out around school. I record what I eat. I just need to put a little math to it.

I want to gain lean muscle mass. I’d like to gain 15 pounds of muscle mass in a year. I think that is realistic.

My diet from yesterday was:

700 - fasted cardio in form of bicycle (~10 miles)

800 - 2 eggs, 4 egg whites, spinach. 1 piece wheat toast with peanut butter, 2 strawberries, 1 c skim milk

1100 - flax seed wrap (7 gms carbs) 3 oz turkey, 1 piece muenster cheese, olive oil mayo (approx. 1 Tbsp @ 4 gms fat), kale, spinach

1300 - 10 oz boneless chicken breast stir fried in pan on low heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Then added: broccoli, onion, carrots, kale, spinach, 1/2 apple, 1 tsp honey (flavor)

*** ABOVE IS WHAT I HAVE QUESTION ABOUTSHOULD THIS BE COOKED/PREPARED ANOTHER WAY?

1645 - PWO Shake - 1.5 scoop whey, 1.2 scoop casein, 1 Tbsp honey, water

1800 - 2 cans albacore tuna, 1 Tbsp olive oil mayo (4 gms fat), 1 Tbsp natural relish

2030 - flax seed wrap (7 gms carb), 1 Tbsp peanut butter, approx. 10 blueberries, 3 strawberries, approx. 6 raspberries

2330 - Pre Bed shake - 2 scoops casein, water

What y’all think? Definitely want opinions on the way the chicken was prepared as well as the flax seed wraps. Anyone else tried them?

I just use pam with olive oil scent or flavor. it really tastes like nothing. As for how much I would use the calc’ed out serving on the bottle. its usually around 1 tablespoon. When I’m feeling fancy I use a tablespoon of olive oil on my mixed frozen veggies.

You probably need a critique of your diet more than the answer sought.

You need to figure out how many calories you need to consume and then the distribution of carbs, fats, and protein.

As far as your question goes, you can either use a cooking method without oil or add more oil. I can tell you that you need more fats in your diet but I really don’t think adding more oil to your stir fry is the answer.

Cook your stir fry with the amount of oil you like and adjust the rest of your diet so that you consume as much fat as you need to acheive your goals.

Read articles and search the forum to figure out calories required/distribution of fats, proteins, and carbs.