Cooking Steaks.

[quote]mazilla wrote:
pps- of course what would i know, i’m just a cordon bleu chef.[/quote]

You should have said that first. You are like an aerobics instructor telling Arnold how to train.

As for Lawry’s. You should be shot for putting that on a steak.

If you have to hide your grilling abilities with a sauce - that is your problem. I can take you all over my state and give you a taste of well cooked meat that needs nothing but a fork to cut, and a mouth to chew. Anything else is just foo-foo bullshit.

Anyone that buys a steak in a foo-foo restaraunt should be shot as well. That’s where you go to eat goose livers, and fish eggs. We are talking about steaks here - not haute cuisine.

Save the butter for the potato, and the asparagus.

[quote]mazilla wrote:

with the onion, and garlic in the pan increase the heat until you get a good sizzle going. now add a few oz’s of red wine(maybe 3 oz’s), if you do it right the wine will ignite. if she’s there, you’ll look kick ass, as long as you dont burn the house down. let the wine release all the little stuck stuff in the bottom of the pan(thats all flavor, unless it’s burnt then it’s bad). redude the heat and add a teaspoon of sugar let the wine cook down by about 50%.careful withthe sugar’s they will want to burn on high heat.

turn off the heat and add 1-2 tablespoons of cold butter. mix the butter in slowly(or the oils will seperate and your sauce will look shitty). this should be done while the steaks are cooking, time the sauce to finish right as the steaks are coming of the grill.

serve the steaks, pour a little sauce over the top. maybe serve it with a side of grilled asparagus marinated in balsamic vinegar and black pepper, and some sweet mashed potato or a cesar salad, or whatever. this is the way we used to make one of the dishes at the 5 star prime steak and seafood place i used to sous chef for. good luck

[/quote]

that meal does sound good, but i have to admit is he ready to flambe w/ flames?

barney if you do choose to flambe w/ flames remember to remove the skillet from the heat before you pour in the alcohol.

If the steaks are so bad that you have to disguise the taste with a sauce, throw the steaks, and the girl who brought them, out the back door. Anything more than a little salt to enhance the taste is a serious crime in my house. Jeez, you might as well baste them and cover with bread crumbs and deep fry or bake them!

PS. Don’t forget the baked potato and garlic bread. Forget the wine. Steak is meant to be accompanied with cold beer and loud burps.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
High quality meat needs no dressing. Women like it rare, but warm in the middle. A fine piece should never be cold and blue.[/quote]

My meat has a Jack sauce, but it takes a little “prep” work for that.

DB

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:

Forget the wine. Steak is meant to be accompanied with cold beer and loud burps.[/quote]

I have to respectfully disagree here. While I love my craft brews, I have found that a GOOD cab or cab blend (not your $7 bottle of Yellow Tail) complements a fine steak better than any other libation. Save the beer for a lesser quality cut of beef.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
High quality meat needs no dressing. Women like it rare, but warm in the middle. A fine piece should never be cold and blue.

DB[/quote]

After eating meat, I always have room for dessert.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
dollarbill44 wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
High quality meat needs no dressing. Women like it rare, but warm in the middle. A fine piece should never be cold and blue.

DB

After eating meat, I always have room for dessert.

I take it you are one of the ones who likes sauce with their steak?[/quote]

Quality meat is great, especially with the sauce served at the very last minute.

Allow me to mediate for a quick minute.

It appears there are two frames of thought on the cutting board, here’s how it lays out to me.

1. The guy (or girl, much love)who likes to marinate and season like crazy and make special sauces and all that stuff.

2. The guy (or girl) who likes to enjoy the absolute un-inhibited quality of the beef and not hinder it’s flavor what-so ever with “foo-foo shit.”

#1- Wants to display their talents as a cook. Kind of like “look at what I can do with a spice rack, ziplock baggies and a lb of sea salt bitches!”

#2- Wants to display their mastery in selecting the best cuts of beef. Kind of like “Look how awesome I am at chosing the right cut that melts in your mouth like a silky peice of dark chocolate, no need for any foo foo shit, bitches!”

Are either of these folks bad people?

No.

They just have different frames of mind when it comes to laying down the best cow possible.

That being said, if I’m a guest at a BBQ and I see bleu cheese about to be slathered on a prime cut two minutes after it’s flipped over, I’d take the offender in the garage and punch him in the mouth. On the same note if someone wants to serve a slab of london broil that’s an inch thick and sits atop my plate like a Harley Davidson boot-tread (link for reference) katashoes.com and not even provide a dash or two of A1 they should expect the same treatment.

Does this help the argument? Probably not becuase we’re all hard-headed fuckers, especially when it comes to beef.

B.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
pushharder wrote:
4) Now bathe them in a blue cheese sauce that you have sauteed yourself.

a. Blue cheese
b. thyme
c. garlic salt
d. butter
e. olive oil
  1. Add sauteed onions and mushrooms. These are actually better if grilled. Put 'em on top rack of grill so they cook a little slower.

If you do steps 4 and 5 around here, you would get you ass seriously kicked up in between your shoulder blades.

If yau have to add “sauce” to your steak - you might as well start wearing a skirt and calling yourself Shirley.

There should be a law against steak sauces, store-bought or home made. [/quote]

Hahhahahaahahahah. Well put.

I gotta second mazilla’s recipe with the red wine sauce. I do almost the exact same thing and it comes out fantastic. One suggested difference, if you don’t have a grill (or it’s too bloody cold out to use it) do the Steaks in a cast iron skillet. cook them to one temperature grade below what you want to eat (i.e. if you like medium, cook the steak med-rare. Meat will continue to cook after it’s taken off the grill or pan from residual heat) Throw the steaks on a tray and put them in a warm oven. Not hot, you just want to keep them from getting cold while you do the sauce.

I then do the sauce in the pan the steaks were fried in. You need less oil since you’ve got some grease left over from the steak fat cooking off. I find it ends up adding a little more flavor to the sauce.

If I’m doing the steaks on the grill, I’ll trim some of the fat off them and use that in the pan with the sauce to get the flavor of the meat into the sauce.

Don’t worry about all the Texans telling you to do your steaks plain, it’s true, you can get a damn good steak in Texas without a single added flavor. But you’re trying to impress your lady here, sauces are impressive.

Good luck,
Jay

[quote]pushharder wrote:

rainjack wrote:

There should be a law against steak sauces, store-bought or home made.

YoMomma begs to differ on the home made sauce.[/quote]

We’re talking about an entirely different sauce.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

rainjack wrote:

There should be a law against steak sauces, store-bought or home made.

YoMomma begs to differ on the home made sauce.[/quote]

Ain’t nothin wrong with home made. You’re working with what nature gave ya!

I am running for government so that I can introduce a law in this country where the penalty for adding sauce to a steak will be death.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
I gotta second mazilla’s recipe with the red wine sauce. I do almost the exact same thing and it comes out fantastic. One suggested difference, if you don’t have a grill (or it’s too bloody cold out to use it) do the Steaks in a cast iron skillet. cook them to one temperature grade below what you want to eat (i.e. if you like medium, cook the steak med-rare. Meat will continue to cook after it’s taken off the grill or pan from residual heat) Throw the steaks on a tray and put them in a warm oven. Not hot, you just want to keep them from getting cold while you do the sauce.

I then do the sauce in the pan the steaks were fried in. You need less oil since you’ve got some grease left over from the steak fat cooking off. I find it ends up adding a little more flavor to the sauce.

If I’m doing the steaks on the grill, I’ll trim some of the fat off them and use that in the pan with the sauce to get the flavor of the meat into the sauce.

Don’t worry about all the Texans telling you to do your steaks plain, it’s true, you can get a damn good steak in Texas without a single added flavor. But you’re trying to impress your lady here, sauces are impressive.

Good luck,
Jay[/quote]

i was gonna have him trim some grissle and put it in the pan with the onions etc, but i figured i might be going a little over his head.i also was going to tell him to keep it in a warm over to finish it, but again pointless if you dont know why.the butter will keep it moist on the grill if you dont, actually butter in the oven is needed too.

i love a GREAT piece of meat with no sauce, chances are he or she(who is bringing the meat) is not going to grab a fillet, so sauce will be a needed addition. he’s trying to impress a WOMAN, not a 300lb bowling partner. the steaks and beer are great when we are just hanging out with the guys, but to really make an immpresiion i say pull all the stops(rip them out of the ground with your bare hands if you must).