Cooking Steaks.

My lady bought me some great steaks from a butcher shop. I am not exactly sure of the cut, but I know its going to be a pretty high quality. She is bringing the steaks over thursday night, and then I am going to cook them, and we are going to have dinner.

NORMALLY, I put the steaks in a glass pan, broil them for 8 minutes a side, in worchestshire sauce, and with montreal steak seasoning dashed on them.
This makes for a pretty tasty steak, but normally I just get a ‘po’ boy kind of cut, like a sirloin. So now that I am getting a good kind of cut, I want to make a good kind of steak.
Give me some pointers, please.

(also, what else to fix with it would be helpful.)

[quote]pushharder wrote:
some stuff about how to kill a good steak[/quote]

Push, you know that I have a lot of respect for you, but Barney, please don’t listen to Push.

Never salt a steak before you cook it. All you are going to do is draw the beautiful juices out of the meat.

Get a barbeque, griddle pan or some other type of grill and get it as hot as possible. I let my griddle pan heat for about 10 minutes before I use it.

Throw the nice think piece of steak (no salt, no oil just the steak) on the grill. Cook for about two minutes a side and eat the bastard blue.

That my friend is the only way to cook a steak.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
OK, Barn. Despite the fact that you have ignored my urging you to give daily reports on your Mojo thread I am still going to help you out here.

1. Procure fresh ribeye steaks.

2. Hand rub fresh ground sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and a high quality olive oil into your steaks - both sides. Now let 'em sit there for a half hour or so, longer if possible. I like some garlic salt too but maybe your little woman doesn’t want you to have any…garlic salt, that is.

3. Get the grill good and hot. Place steaks on lower grill (if you have an upper and lower grill, that is) close to the fire. Prepare them rare or medium rare. DON’T OVERCOOK A GOOD STEAK. Cook 'em hot and fast. Put them on a pre-heated plate to keep 'em warm between the grill and the table.

4. Now bathe them in a blue cheese sauce that you have sauteed yourself.

a. Blue cheese
    b. thyme
    c. garlic salt
    d. butter
    e. olive oil

5. Add sauteed onions and mushrooms. These are actually better if grilled. Put 'em on top rack of grill so they cook a little slower.

6. Add red wine or good beer.

7. Eat food.

8. Take your HCl tablets.

9. Wait an hour or so.

10. Eat girlfriend.

11. Post photos of girlfriend so we can decide if she is worthy of all this attention.[/quote]

the salt is fine. i’m sure it’s no fillet we are talking about, even then i will add salt(kosher only, iodized sucks balls). the tiny bit of juice you might lose if you let them set for too long in salt, pales in comparrison to the blaw of un-salted meat. just a little salt to wake the meat and the taste buds up a little. dont skimp on the black pepper.

now pay attention- if you really want to look like you know what your doing…when you put the steaks on the insanely hot grill, start with the top tip of the steak facing at 10 o’clock, let the grill marks get nice and dark(but dont burn the rest of the meat) then move the tip of the steak(same side) to about 2 o’clock. this will give you those nice diamond grill marks. the high heat will help to sear in the steak’s juice.

if you dont like bleu cheese…in a sautee pan with olive oil, caramalize(golden brown on med heat) some diced onion, add slivered garlic until *light golden brown(burnt garlic is AWFULL), here is the fun part. if you have some red wine, if not get some.

with the onion, and garlic in the pan increase the heat until you get a good sizzle going. now add a few oz’s of red wine(maybe 3 oz’s), if you do it right the wine will ignite. if she’s there, you’ll look kick ass, as long as you dont burn the house down. let the wine release all the little stuck stuff in the bottom of the pan(thats all flavor, unless it’s burnt then it’s bad). redude the heat and add a teaspoon of sugar let the wine cook down by about 50%.careful withthe sugar’s they will want to burn on high heat.

turn off the heat and add 1-2 tablespoons of cold butter. mix the butter in slowly(or the oils will seperate and your sauce will look shitty). this should be done while the steaks are cooking, time the sauce to finish right as the steaks are coming of the grill.

serve the steaks, pour a little sauce over the top. maybe serve it with a side of grilled asparagus marinated in balsamic vinegar and black pepper, and some sweet mashed potato or a cesar salad, or whatever. this is the way we used to make one of the dishes at the 5 star prime steak and seafood place i used to sous chef for. good luck

[quote]pushharder wrote:

1. Add red wine or good beer.

2. Eat food.

3. Take your HCl tablets.

4. Wait an hour or so.

5. Eat girlfriend.

6. Post photos of girlfriend so we can decide if she is worthy of all this attention.[/quote]

I do agree with Push on this part.

Those are all exellent.

5:30 in the morning, and I now have a serious craving for steak.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Those are all exellent.

5:30 in the morning, and I now have a serious craving for steak.
[/quote]

Me too dammit! Now I gotta wait about 10 hrs.

Like that recipe with the blue cheese and mushrooms.

In case you have a stove with a broiler and want to use that:

1. Take steaks out of fridge to get the chill off them.

2. Heat up broiler. Actually before doing this, put both racks in the over on the lowest positions and put aluminum foil on bottom rack.

3. Salt and pepper both sides of steaks while waiting for broiler to warm up. You can use any spices you want, but I keep it simple. NO A1 though!

4. Once broiler is heated, put steaks on the higher rack, right over the foil. Set timer for 5 minutes.

5. Flip steaks and cook for 5 more minutes at this position

6. Reposition racks to their uppermost positions and set timer for 3 minutes.

7. Flip steaks and cook for the 3 final minutes.

8. Take out steaks and rest them on an elevated rack for a couple minutes, enough time to do whatever you save to do to get the rest of the meal together.

9. Enjoy! Yeah it’s a lot of work, but you end up with a juicy steak with a nice sear on the outside.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
4) Now bathe them in a blue cheese sauce that you have sauteed yourself.

a. Blue cheese
b. thyme
c. garlic salt
d. butter
e. olive oil
  1. Add sauteed onions and mushrooms. These are actually better if grilled. Put 'em on top rack of grill so they cook a little slower.
    [/quote]

If you do steps 4 and 5 around here, you would get you ass seriously kicked up in between your shoulder blades.

If yau have to add “sauce” to your steak - you might as well start wearing a skirt and calling yourself Shirley.

There should be a law against steak sauces, store-bought or home made.

[quote]Helga wrote:

Never salt a steak before you cook it. All you are going to do is draw the beautiful juices out of the meat.

Get a barbeque, griddle pan or some other type of grill and get it as hot as possible. I let my griddle pan heat for about 10 minutes before I use it.

Throw the nice think piece of steak (no salt, no oil just the steak) on the grill. Cook for about two minutes a side and eat the bastard blue.

That my friend is the only way to cook a steak.[/quote]

Blue is definitely the way to eat a steak.

Firstly I’ll let the steak sit out of the fridge for about 30mins (otherwise the inside will be cold when you come to eat it)

1.I turn on the george foreman.

1. wait till the little red light turns off

2. Put the steak in

3. after 30 seconds flip it diagonally (I like my criss cross grill marks)

4. 30 seconds later, take the steak out of the grill

5. put a lot of coarse grain sea salt on it and some black pepper.

The trick is to get that fucker out of the grill THE VERY SECOND that all of the outside has turned brown.

It may be an acquired taste for some, but it’s worth it. If you go to a restaurant and ask for your steak blue, you’ll get the best, freshest cut of meat. People who eat their steak ‘well done’ (a misnomer if ever I heard one) are going to get served shit.

High quality meat needs no dressing. Women like it rare, but warm in the middle. A fine piece should never be cold and blue.

[quote]
pushharder wrote:

a. Blue cheese
b. thyme
c. garlic salt
d. butter
e. olive oil
  1. Add sauteed onions and mushrooms. These are actually better if grilled. Put 'em on top rack of grill so they cook a little slower.

rainjack wrote:
If you do steps 4 and 5 around here, you would get you ass seriously kicked up in between your shoulder blades.

If yau have to add “sauce” to your steak - you might as well start wearing a skirt and calling yourself Shirley.

There should be a law against steak sauces, store-bought or home made. [/quote]

I think push was joking. No one in their right mind is putting blue cheese on a steak.

This is what you want to do with a good piece of meat.

First make sure you have good pan.

-Cast Iron skillet is the best.

-Salt but do not pepper the steak, pepper burns.

-Put a light coating of Olive Oil in the pan and set on high when you start to see wisps of smoke add the steak and immediately turn stove down to 3o’clock

-Sear this side for about 2mins or until you have some nice dark brown marks.

-Flip over and add pepper and a bit of granulated garlic to the side you just seared which is now facing up.

-Sear the 2nd side for 2 minutes, no more, no less since this side will be in contact with the pan for the duration.

-Put in preheated 350 degree oven. Now depending on the thickness and doneness you desire leave in the oven between 10 and 16 minutes.

[quote]doogie wrote:

pushharder wrote:

a. Blue cheese
b. thyme
c. garlic salt
d. butter
e. olive oil

rainjack wrote:

There should be a law against steak sauces, store-bought or home made.

I think push was joking. No one in their right mind is putting blue cheese on a steak.[/quote]

some would say the same for even cooking it.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
pushharder wrote:

a. Blue cheese
b. thyme
c. garlic salt
d. butter
e. olive oil

There should be a law against steak sauces, store-bought or home made. [/quote]

C`mon Dude, A-1 sauce with your steak, it helps with absorbing the creatine in the red meat!

1. Stun the cow.

2. Eat.

Or more seriously, For a good cut I suggest: mix pepper, ginger, dry sherry or white wine, oil and soya sauce in a ziplog bag, add meat, leave in fridge for some hours. Before cooking, carefully wipe dry. Very high heat, but not too long.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
OK, Barn. Despite the fact that you have ignored my urging you to give daily reports on your Mojo thread I am still going to help you out here.

1. Procure fresh ribeye steaks.

2. Hand rub fresh ground sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, and a high quality olive oil into your steaks - both sides. Now let 'em sit there for a half hour or so, longer if possible. I like some garlic salt too but maybe your little woman doesn’t want you to have any…garlic salt, that is.

3. Get the grill good and hot. Place steaks on lower grill (if you have an upper and lower grill, that is) close to the fire. Prepare them rare or medium rare. DON’T OVERCOOK A GOOD STEAK. Cook 'em hot and fast. Put them on a pre-heated plate to keep 'em warm between the grill and the table.

4. Now bathe them in a blue cheese sauce that you have sauteed yourself.

a. Blue cheese
    b. thyme
    c. garlic salt
    d. butter
    e. olive oil

5. Add sauteed onions and mushrooms. These are actually better if grilled. Put 'em on top rack of grill so they cook a little slower.

6. Add red wine or good beer.

7. Eat food.

8. Take your HCl tablets.

9. Wait an hour or so.

10. Eat girlfriend.

11. Post photos of girlfriend so we can decide if she is worthy of all this attention.[/quote]

Sounds like great advice.

for everybody saying not to sauce a steak, what planet are you from? the steak i explained above would cost you 30 dollars in a restraunt(at least depending on where). he’s not cooking for his buddies, it’s for his chick. take the cave-man mentality down for a second and treat her to something great. not a bloody piece of meat, half-assed, and covered in lawry’s.

if you want to wow her, put some effort into it. and NO, the george foreman does not count as effort, neither does the broiler.

p.s. try adding just a slice of butter to the steaks after you do the last turn on the grill. if you really want to be fancy, you can mince garlic and parsley in the butter for an extra kick.

pps- of course what would i know, i’m just a cordon bleu chef.