Cooking Steak

Question… Without a vacuum sealer, what is the best way to freeze steak to keep it fresh. I u just landed on a great deal for tri tip and i need to freeze some of it.

So, should i cook it, then freeze it? Or should i freeze it before cooking it? Or should i drown it in marinade and then freeze it before cooking it?

Oh and while we are at it i’ll share marinades that i love.

1. 1/2 cup beer (coors works nicely), 1/2 cup yoshidas teryaki marinade, and a tablespoon of minced garlic. This is for about a pound of steak. Marinade for a day

2. 1/2 cup soy sauce. 1/4 cup Worcestershire. 1 tablespoon mince garlic. lightly cover steak with pepper and rub it in. Marinade for a day.

K cool

No srsly guys, help me out im drowning in tri-tip right now. Stop arguing with PX in the penis amputation thread and help a brother out

Ziplock bags.

[quote]TD54 wrote:
Question… Without a vacuum sealer, what is the best way to freeze steak to keep it fresh. I u just landed on a great deal for tri tip and i need to freeze some of it.

So, should i cook it, then freeze it? Or should i freeze it before cooking it? Or should i drown it in marinade and then freeze it before cooking it?[/quote]

1. Wrap the steaks individually in plastic wrap, then foil, the put in a heavy-duty ziplock.

2. Freeze it raw, no marinade.

Plastic keeps out organics (smell), but slowly permits water to leach out (= freezer burn), so you need both.

Salt/spice degrades tissue by drawing out fluid and would turn it to mush. (That’s why it “tenderizes” the meat.)

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

So, should i cook it, then freeze it? Or should i freeze it before cooking it? Or should i drown it in marinade and then freeze it before cooking it?[/quote]

1. Wrap the steaks individually in plastic wrap, then foil, the put in a heavy-duty ziplock.

Plastic keeps out organics (smell), but slowly permits water to leach out (= freezer burn), so you need both.

Salt/spice degrades tissue by drawing out fluid and would turn it to mush. (That’s why it “tenderizes” the meat.)

[/quote]

I <3 you. I’ll be doing that now

Tri tip is delicious. Here’s a Molasses-Chili marinade for you to try.

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
5 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 tbsp peeled and chopped fresh ginger
1 tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp chili powder

[/quote]

This sounds delicious. Are there any ingredients you could go without though? I like to keep my recipes to 3 or 4 ingredients to save time etc.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[/quote]

Have you been able to keep steak from getting freezer burn for a prolonged period of time using this method. I’d like to be able to buy a month of steak when it goes on sale like it has today.

[quote]TD54 wrote:

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp chili powder

[/quote]

This sounds delicious. Are there any ingredients you could go without though? I like to keep my recipes to 3 or 4 ingredients to save time etc. [/quote]

Obligatory blah blah blah . . . won’t taste as good . . . gastronomical philistine . . . fer seriousszz!

I suppose if you really wanted to cut it down;

1/2 cup molasses
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
Splash of water

I’d also stab the shit out of the roast with a fork before marinating it and extend the soak time to 24-48 hours.

Anybody ever used reduced rootbeer (ie: rootbeer simmered at low heat to reduce water content) as part of a steak marinade?

I’ve heard it can be really good

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Anybody ever used reduced rootbeer (ie: rootbeer simmered at low heat to reduce water content) as part of a steak marinade?

I’ve heard it can be really good[/quote]

I’ve used it for a sticky rib sauce (which is phenomenal) but never for a marinade.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:

I’ve heard it can be really good[/quote]

that sounds amazing…

There are couple ways to prevent freezer burn.

High quality heavy duty freezer bags buy them.

put the cut meat in the bag

close the zip lock until its almost closed and suck the air out of the bag.

You can also force the air out of the bag with a rolling motion starting from the opposite side of the zipper.

Cut some freezer paper and wrap the bag neatly in freezing paper.

Label and date

Here’s two links to cook steak without marinade, but full of flavor

Tutorial with Gordon Ramsay

Tips from Precision Nutrition’s Phil Caravaggio