T Nation

Cooking Oil Consumption?

When tracking calories what do y’all put for the oils you use during cooking?

I have been using a lot of olive oil and coconut oil to cook with and generally use 1 Tbsp in a pan. How much would I record on a food log for how much oil I consumed?

to be honest you are kind of taking the paralysis by analysis route…

However, i think if you use 1 tablespoon to cook. There will be no chance it will be 1.5 or 1.1. SO, just record it down as 1.

What? there is oil on the pan? I think the 20-50 calories from that oil is not gona make or break you. =/

I have always put it down as a full Tbsp consumed. I know the calorie difference is minimal and I am not too worried about it, I just feel that it throws off the accuracy of my good fat intake. Just wanted to get some input from others that may have come up with a solution.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Well Olive Oil will turn bad when introduced to heat so your not getting ANY healthiness off it.

Cook with Coconut Oil, one of 2 that doesn’t turn bad.

[quote]Corkonian wrote:
Well Olive Oil will turn bad when introduced to heat so your not getting ANY healthiness off it.

Cook with Coconut Oil, one of 2 that doesn’t turn bad.[/quote]

Canola oil is a good choice as well.

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olive_oil_smoke_point.htm

When u say turning bad…what exactly do you mean? the antioxidant capacity is diminished? when cooked with?

the monounsaturated fat is oxidized

Relative for baking at high temperatures or deep frying.

Stove top ain’t gonna hit 375+

monounsaturated fat is oxidized…and that means that only the sat/polyun fat is present?

Extra virgin olive oil’s smoke point is 375 F. There is no way a pan is gonna get that hot. The integrity of the olive oil is just fine for pan searing.

Anyone got anything on total amount consumed or total percentage of an oil cooked into a food when you pan sear it? Anyone?

No - how would it be possible to know?

No one can know their calorie intake that precisely. The nutrient data are averages to begin with.

I am gonna give up on trying to figure it out. Total kilocaloric intake will be give or take a few hundred kcals.