Cooking Oats in the Crock Pot?

So I heard you can cook steel coat oats and quinoa in the crock pot and was thinking of trying it out for b-fast. Anyone do this and have any tips/recipes?

I was thinking like 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 3/4 cup water, and maybe 1/2 cup pumpkin with some cinnamon. Put it in the crock pot before bed, cook on low for what, 8 hours?

would that work? anyone do this?

I don’t think so.

Crock pot? You can just use a regular saucepan. Heat enough water (based on your serving) until it boils, toss in the steel cut oats, turn off the stove and cover. Then just reheat in the morning.

I think I’d rather eat a pile of my own vomit.

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
So I heard you can cook steel coat oats and quinoa in the crock pot and was thinking of trying it out for b-fast. Anyone do this and have any tips/recipes?

I was thinking like 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 3/4 cup water, and maybe 1/2 cup pumpkin with some cinnamon. Put it in the crock pot before bed, cook on low for what, 8 hours?

would that work? anyone do this?[/quote]

You basically follow the recipe for the groats. I use 1 cup of groats, 3 cups water and 1 cup of skim milk along with some dried craisens or cherries. Sometimes, I add chopped walnuts or pecans and then let it go on low all night. In the morning, I can just take what I need and refrigerate the rest. Sometimes, this will leave a small crust around the edge but I kind of like that.

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
anyone do this?[/quote]

Never. I throw 1 cup raw oats straight into the blender. And if I’m really craving cooked oats, I only need one bowl and 3.5 minutes in the microwave so cleanup is simple.

But that’s just me. If you try this, please keep us posted.

[quote]Arioch wrote:
k8thegr8 wrote:

would that work? anyone do this?

You basically follow the recipe for the groats. I use 1 cup of groats, 3 cups water and 1 cup of skim milk along with some dried craisens or cherries. Sometimes, I add chopped walnuts or pecans and then let it go on low all night. In the morning, I can just take what I need and refrigerate the rest. Sometimes, this will leave a small crust around the edge but I kind of like that. [/quote]

thanks. I searched online as well and found quite a few recipes. It sounds like a good way to have b-fast already done for you when you wake up.

Yea, but it’s neither time nor energy efficient. If you don’t mind spending $3 in electricity to run your crockpot overnight to make 35 cents worth of oatmeal, knock yourself out. Or you could spend 35 cents to boil some water on the stove like dfreezy suggests.

DJ

The OP is talking about steel cut oats. They take longer to cook than regular oatmeal.

To the OP, google “food network steel cut oats” and you should easily find a solid recipe for steel cut oats by Alton Brown. It says to cook them for 25 minutes, but you can shorten that to taste and for time saving. I think I cooked them for 15 minutes last time I did this.

Good luck.

[quote]gonugs wrote:
The OP is talking about steel cut oats. They take longer to cook than regular oatmeal.
[/quote]

Hence why I made my suggestion. Do it before bed leaving the the oats to ‘soak’ on the stove overnight, wake up in the morning and breakfast is already ready- just needs to be reheated. Minimal effort and no need to cook anything overnight. I generally put a scoop of whey (blueberry or banana flavored works best) in my steel cut oats.

I say cook it in a regular pot simmering and covered for 10-20 minutes. I guess it depends on weather you like yours soft or kind of chewy. Eat out of the pot you cooked it in and stir with the same spoon you eat with. Easy cleanup. Microwave sucks.

[quote]gonugs wrote:

To the OP, google “food network steel cut oats” and you should easily find a solid recipe for steel cut oats by Alton Brown. It says to cook them for 25 minutes, but you can shorten that to taste and for time saving. I think I cooked them for 15 minutes last time I did this.

Good luck.

[/quote]

The recipe I gave above comes from Alton Brown.

[quote]gonugs wrote:

Good luck.

[/quote]

You can’t nuke steel cut oats, though, right?

I tried it this morning for like 3 min cooking time. They still tasted “al dente,” i.e. not done.

Too lazy to spend 15-20 minutes in the mornings but I might just start doing it.