Cooking in Batches - Safe Refrigerator Storage

I’ve been ratcheting in the ol’ diet lately and cooking is really a pain in the ass. I want to cook in batches but I have no idea how long things will keep in the fridge after I cook them.

Watching the “Eat like the pros” thread I got inspired to buy some frozen fish, which I have no reservations about cooking, but after it’s cooked, how long will it keep in my fridge?

Any other tips on how long I can keep - or shouldn’t keep - certain things in the fridge after cooking them? I found lot’s of information on how long I can keep things before I cook them, but not after.

Thanks,

Conor

Cooked red meat/potatoes/rice/starchy carbs are good for a week. Cooked green veggies only last 2-3 days before they start getting funky, at least in my experience. Cooked chicken and pork(tenderloin/chops/etc) can last 4-5 days, but they start drying out after 2-3.

Of course, my fridge is a cheap POS so these times can and do vary.

As a general rule for me I only keep cooked meat (chicken/steak/pork) 3-4 days tops. I dont even fuck with veggies as leftovers, especially if they were frozen before preparation. They are devoid of any taste and correct texture the second time around. I keep many bags of frozen veggies on hand and make them with my meal. Rice and pasta is fine for a week. If you want to do veggies with pre cooked meals without actually cooking just grab fresh (non frozen) and eat them raw. Raw friendly veggies are broccoli, peppers and spinach to name a few.

I cook all my meat for the week and keep it up til’ a week in the fridge. No problems.

Once it’s cooked all meat except fish is 6 days (in a fridge at 35 degrees F). Veggies cooked = 3 days. Fruits and Veggies raw, up to a full week. Fish cooked is 4 days.

Check your fridge settings too. The USDA says a min temp of 40degrees F. is safe, but as fridges vary, mines at 35 to be on the real safe side…

USDA Citation: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Refrigeration_&_Food_Safety/index.asp

Thanks for all the responses guys! I just got back from the gym and threw four whiting fillets brushed in citrus grill seasoning and olive oil in the oven for the rest of the week!

yeah veggies just never taste right as leftovers. I don’t even bother cooking them anymore…just much on organic raw broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, celery, cucumbers, etc. with most of my meals.

pretty sure I was a rabbit in my former life…

I grill/boil up all of my chicken on Sunday and it keeps pretty well for the following week except on Friday. I get the dry chicken breast on 2 of Friday’s meals.

Get a Foodsaver. If you bulk cook on the weekends, or want to, they can make it much easier and your food tastes better than storing it in the fridge.

I cook up chicken and rice and steamed broccoli every week. It lasts for at least a week. If there is any left over at the end of the week I toss it and cook up new batches. I’ve been doing this for several months now and so far no issues.

[quote]Applesauce wrote:
Get a Foodsaver. If you bulk cook on the weekends, or want to, they can make it much easier and your food tastes better than storing it in the fridge.[/quote]

What’s a Foodsaver? Is that some kind of vacuum pack thingy?

[quote]conorh wrote:
Applesauce wrote:
Get a Foodsaver. If you bulk cook on the weekends, or want to, they can make it much easier and your food tastes better than storing it in the fridge.

What’s a Foodsaver? Is that some kind of vacuum pack thingy?[/quote]

Yes. They use to be around $200 but they have models for around $80 now.

It seems to be more about what you can tolerate as far as taste and texture.

For me chicken and steak is about 6 days max before it drys up and smells a little off. So I usually do them every 4 days.

I cook up a big batch of bagged frozen green beans to last about 5-6 days. Haven’t really tried to go past 6 days. Seems fine at 6 days to me.

Potatoes 10 days, same with brown rice. I haven’t really tried longer with this though.

Lean hamburger taco meat is cool for 7-8 days. But I freeze it if I will be going past 5 days. It tastes fine thawing and eating it after a freeze.

I don’t keep fish, I eat it freshly cooked or not at all. So usually that is my dinner meal if I am craving fish.

This is making me hungry… :smiley: