T Nation

Cooking Eggs

In Stuart McRobert's column in this month's Flex he writes that the fats in boiled or poached eggs are "vastly different" from scrambled eggs, due to the relatively low temperatures involved in boiling and poaching.

I have never heard this before, and seeing as I eat four or five whole eggs scrambled as part of breakfast most days this got my attention. I mean I try not to get hung up on minutiae, but a "vast" difference sounds like something to be aware of.

Anyone heard of this?

On a microscopic level their vastly Different. Temperature changes the composition of everything. I don’t know how exactly it works, but Hard-boiled eggs would be the ideal way to eat them as it keeps the yolk (fat, cholesterol, choline, all that good stuff) Intact. Scrambled, over-easy etc would cause the yolk to be exposed to the full potential of heat.

It makes precisely no sense and I’m sure McRobert presented, and has, precisely zero factual evidence.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
It makes precisely no sense and I’m sure McRobert presented, and has, precisely zero factual evidence.[/quote]

There was no evidence, it was presented as something everyone knew, which is why I was surprised I hadn’t heard of it! So scrambled eggs are not different from boiled/poached in their nutritional profile.

Some nutrients are destroyed by heat (Vitamin E) and some are enhanced by heat (Lycopene and other Carotenoids); I don’t really know shit what’s inside an egg yolk, but since eggs were most likely made to keep baby chickens away from extreme heat, I’m taking a wild guess that more nutrients are destroyed rather than enhanced by cooking the yolk. (Jumped to this conclusion since the carotenoids are pigments and exposed to heat, so they may have adapted to become resistent to them, egg yolks, not so much)

If you’re eating healthfully, I really doubt this nutrient loss will be significant.

I’m sure that as long as you’re eating enough eats prepared in either manner, you’re getting your protein fix, and arguing over such minutae is just useless and for most of us, nonapplicable in our day to day regimens.

That said,… scrambled eggs get ketchup, but for the hard boiled, I cannot tell you how much I’ve become addicted to dijionaise.

S

[quote]Roundhead wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:
It makes precisely no sense and I’m sure McRobert presented, and has, precisely zero factual evidence.

There was no evidence, it was presented as something everyone knew, which is why I was surprised I hadn’t heard of it! So scrambled eggs are not different from boiled/poached in their nutritional profile.[/quote]

I was referring to the fats. It is possible there are some differences in other things from heat degradation, but for that matter the idea that scrambled eggs reach much higher temperature than boiled is probably wrong as well. Certainly the way I cook them they don’t. I don’t think they even reach boiling. Scrambled eggs completely solidify well before that temperature.

Btw, I have a suspicion that eggs exist for reasons other than keeping baby chickens away from extreme heat :slight_smile:

Dr. Jonny Bowden wrote about this also (I think it was on his own website) I remember he said that scrambled eggs from buffets aren’t as good as poached due to the same effects from excessive heat. I think he had a longer time frame (closer to 2 hours) though so you should be alright if you aren’t eating at buffets all the time.

Yesterday I realised I can’t eat scrambled eggs in great quantities anymore because a few weeks ago I threw up after scrambled eggs + bell pepper somekindofdish.

So I have to eat hard-boiled eggs. The agony.

[quote]Roundhead wrote:
In Stuart McRobert’s column in this month’s Flex he writes that the fats in boiled or poached eggs are “vastly different” from scrambled eggs, due to the relatively low temperatures involved in boiling and poaching.

I have never heard this before, and seeing as I eat four or five whole eggs scrambled as part of breakfast most days this got my attention. I mean I try not to get hung up on minutiae, but a “vast” difference sounds like something to be aware of.

Anyone heard of this?[/quote]

I doubt the fats change at all. Are you sure he wasn’t talking about the proteins?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
That said,… scrambled eggs get ketchup, but for the hard boiled, I cannot tell you how much I’ve become addicted to dijionaise.

S
[/quote]

Scrambled eggs get salsa, boiled eggs get Valentina ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina_(sauce) ).

What is this dijionaise whereof you speak?

[quote]palindrome wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

Scrambled eggs get salsa, boiled eggs get Valentina ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina_(sauce) ).

What is this dijionaise whereof you speak?[/quote]

I think Helman’s makes it, sort of a combination of mayo and dijon mustard. Obviously got a decent amount of sodium, but aside from last couple of weeks of a prep, I usually don’t worry about it myself.

S

[quote]matko5 wrote:
Yesterday I realised I can’t eat scrambled eggs in great quantities anymore because a few weeks ago I threw up after scrambled eggs + bell pepper somekindofdish.

So I have to eat hard-boiled eggs. The agony.[/quote]

Have you tried mixing rolled oats into your scrambled eggs? The idea just popped into my head at some point and I’ve been lovin’ it ever since. The oats take away the unpleasant consistency of large quantities of eggs and add some “body” to your omelet. Add some shredded cheese and you’re good to go!

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:
matko5 wrote:

So I have to eat hard-boiled eggs. The agony.

Have you tried mixing rolled oats into your scrambled eggs? The idea just popped into my head at some point and I’ve been lovin’ it ever since. The oats take away the unpleasant consistency of large quantities of eggs and add some “body” to your omelet. Add some shredded cheese and you’re good to go![/quote]

Hmm, how do you do this? Do you add the oats in while the eggs are cooking? I’ve been wondering how to include oats with my breakfast instead of just eating it alone.

Exactly, so shortly after you’ve put the eggs into your pan you pour a heap of oats onto the still liquid eggs. Then you stir it up with a spatula or a spoon to make sure that no dry “oat pockets” form in your mix and that’s about it. The entire procedure takes less than 10 minutes and you’ve got yourself a meal (minus the veggies).

4 hardboiled eggs with 200mg of caffeine, 1000mg of vitamin c, 1 multi is the perfect pre-lift snack for me.

i am going to have to try this dijonaise

[quote]Dre the Hatchet wrote:
Exactly, so shortly after you’ve put the eggs into your pan you pour a heap of oats onto the still liquid eggs. Then you stir it up with a spatula or a spoon to make sure that no dry “oat pockets” form in your mix and that’s about it. The entire procedure takes less than 10 minutes and you’ve got yourself a meal (minus the veggies). [/quote]

Sweet man, trying this tomorrow. Eggs + ham + cheese + oats = one damn fine meal.

I take my eggs raw. I drink them out of a carton. Someone told me once that I should cook them to get the full nutritional value out of them. I assumed they meant that our bodies can better handle the cooked version of eggs over the raw version, but I have never seen anything to back up this person’s assertion and I continue to eat my eggs raw (because I don’t have a kitchen at work to cook them on).

[quote]morstad wrote:
Dr. Jonny Bowden wrote about this also (I think it was on his own website) I remember he said that scrambled eggs from buffets aren’t as good as poached due to the same effects from excessive heat. I think he had a longer time frame (closer to 2 hours) though so you should be alright if you aren’t eating at buffets all the time.[/quote]

I’ve read a lot of JB’s material, the general idea is that the longer the eggs are exposed to oxygen the more the nutrients are degraded.