Cooking All Meats in the Microwave?

[quote]redsox348984 wrote:
I think the food tastes pretty good in the microwave. I honestly have trouble telling the difference between if food is cooked in the microwave or some other method. I cook all my frozen vegetables in there too. I don’t know why you guys think it tastes so poorly. The difference is pretty slight, and it is a lot easier.[/quote]

Well it depends what you are cooking in there i guess. There is no way a steak in a microwave can be nearly as good as one on the bbq unless you don’t know what a good steak is.

[quote]D Day wrote:
Is cooking in a microwave bad, short answer yes.

1. It decreases nutritional value of fruits or vegetables that are cooked or even reheated within the microwave.

2. Do not operate a microwave with nothing in it, with the door mechanism open, do not look directly into the microwave when being operated, stand at least an arms length away when in operation, and you think the meat inside of it is safe!!

3. After extensive research on their own people who were exposed to microwaves Russia banned microwave ovens in 1976.

4. Not only are nutritional values severely reduced but the nutrients within the foods are changed into potential carcinogens and new chemical compounds are formed in the food that are foreign to the body and cannot be reduced.

5. A blood pack was thawed in a microwave, not cooked just thawed, that blood was given as a transfusion and killed a person, this is a little iffy but either way we are putting things from a microwave into our bodies, kill you slowly or kill you quickly.

6. Microwavable plastic containers and saran wrap products alter their chemical compositions when in a microwave and release carcinogens into the microwave and food.

Go with the George Foreman for now, learn to cook or find the time, and use stainless steel when you have the money.[/quote]

Thanks good post. Do you know of any good articles I can read about this?

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
redsox348984 wrote:
I think the food tastes pretty good in the microwave. I honestly have trouble telling the difference between if food is cooked in the microwave or some other method. I cook all my frozen vegetables in there too. I don’t know why you guys think it tastes so poorly. The difference is pretty slight, and it is a lot easier.

Well it depends what you are cooking in there i guess. There is no way a steak in a microwave can be nearly as good as one on the bbq unless you don’t know what a good steak is.[/quote]

For the most park I cook chicken, turkey, tilapia, buffalo burgers. i have never cooked a steak in there before.

[quote]D Day wrote:

1. It decreases nutritional value of fruits or vegetables that are cooked or even reheated within the microwave.[/quote]

Can be said of other cooking methods too.

Once again there are a lot of things in the home that you can say the same thing about. It’s not safe to expose yourself to the heat of an oven, but that doesn’t make things unsafe to eat that are.

Because governments never ban things without good cause

Yes there are chemical changes in the microwave, as there are with conventional cooking.

Would it have turned out better if they put it on a foreman grill?

I agree with this, but the same can be said of many convention cooking materials too. including the Teflon they coat the foreman grills with.

[quote]

Go with the George Foreman for now, learn to cook or find the time, and use stainless steel when you have the money.[/quote]

[quote]D Day wrote:

1. It decreases nutritional value of fruits or vegetables that are cooked or even reheated within the microwave.

2. Do not operate a microwave with nothing in it, with the door mechanism open, do not look directly into the microwave when being operated, stand at least an arms length away when in operation, and you think the meat inside of it is safe!!

3. After extensive research on their own people who were exposed to microwaves Russia banned microwave ovens in 1976.

4. Not only are nutritional values severely reduced but the nutrients within the foods are changed into potential carcinogens and new chemical compounds are formed in the food that are foreign to the body and cannot be reduced.

5. A blood pack was thawed in a microwave, not cooked just thawed, that blood was given as a transfusion and killed a person, this is a little iffy but either way we are putting things from a microwave into our bodies, kill you slowly or kill you quickly.

6. Microwavable plastic containers and saran wrap products alter their chemical compositions when in a microwave and release carcinogens into the microwave and food.

No peer reviewed journal no care.

Microwaves are good for making popcorn and melting butter to drown it in.

I would rather eat my meat raw than cook it in a microwave.

There is nothing unsafe about using a microwave to cook with but I would use glass or earthen-ware only as plastic is a questionable substance to heat up and eat out of.

BTW, microwave is perfect for steaming vegetables.

[quote]D Day wrote:

1. Microwavable plastic containers and saran wrap products alter their chemical compositions when in a microwave and release carcinogens into the microwave and food.
    [/quote]

False.

Yes, things stated in my post do not have the research behind them and there are things to be said of cooking with aluminum, however at this point with this person aluminum is a better choice, when cooked with at lower temps than a microwave. Yes cooking in all other ways does alter food composition, however food is not cooked like it is in a microwave compared to other ways of cooking the food particles are not heated in the same matter. Putting your hand into the oven and receiving a burn is not comparable to subjecting your body exposure to concentrated microwaves. A few of these articles discuss what type of toxins you are exposed to by eating microwaved foods, you will notice that some of them fall within acceptable limits of daily exposure to these toxins, who decides what exposure levels are safe and what are their long term peer reviewed studies to say that it is absolutely safe.

J Agric Food Chem. 2007 May 30;55(11):4610-6. Epub 2007 May 8.
PMID: 17488030 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Food Addit Contam. 2007 Aug;24(8):860-8.
PMID: 17613073 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Comparative Study of Food Prepared Conventionally and in the Microwave Oven, published by Raum & Zelt in 1992, at 3(2): 43

Dr. Lita Lee’s book, Health Effects of Microwave Radiation - Microwave Ovens

This last part is from a website article in regards to the Russian research that led to their ban of microwaves.

In most cases, the foods used for research analysis were exposed to microwave propagation at an energy potential of 100 kilowatts/cm3/second, to the point considered acceptable for sanitary, normal ingestion. The effects noted by both German and Russian researchers is presented in three categories:

Category I, Cancer-Causing Effects

Category II, Nutritive Destruction of Foods

Category III, Biological Effects of Exposure

CATEGORY I

CANCER-CAUSING EFFECTS

[The first two points of Category I are not readable from our report copy. The remainder of the report is intact.]

1. Creation of a “binding effect” to radioactivity in the atmosphere, thus causing a marked increase in the amount of alpha and beta particle saturation in foods;

2. Creation of cancer causing agents within protein hydrolysate compounds* in milk and cereal grains [*these are natural proteins that are split into unnatural fragments by the addition of water];

3. Alteration of elemental food-substances, causing disorders in the digestive system by unstable catabolism* of foods subjected to microwaves [*the metabolic breakdown process];

4. Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions were observed within the lymphatic systems [absorbent vessels], causing a degeneration of the immune potentials of the body to protect against certain forms of neoplastics [abnormal growths of tissue];

5. Ingestion of microwaved foods caused a higher percentage of cancerous cells within the blood serum [cytomas - cell tumors such as sarcoma];

6. Microwave emissions caused alteration in the catabolic [metabolic breakdown] behavior of glucoside [hydrolyzed dextrose] and galactoside [oxidized alcohol] elements within frozen fruits when thawed in this manner;

7. Microwave emission caused alteration of the catabolic [metabolic breakdown] behavior of plant alkaloids [organic nitrogen based elements] when raw, cooked, or frozen vegetables were exposed for even extremely short durations;

8. Cancer causing free radicals [highly reactive incomplete molecules] were formed within certain trace mineral molecular formations in plant substances, and in particular, raw root-vegetables; and,

9. In a statistically high percentage of persons, microwaved foods caused stomach and intestinal cancerous growths, as well as a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues, with a gradual breakdown of the function of the digestive and excretive systems.

CATEGORY II

DECREASE IN FOOD VALUE

Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritive value of all foods researched. The following are the most important findings:

1. A decrease in the bioavailability [capability of the body to utilize the nutriment] of B-complex vitamins, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotropics in all foods;

2. A loss of 60-90% of the vital energy field content of all tested foods;

3. A reduction in the metabolic behavior and integration process capability of alkaloids [organic nitrogen based elements], glucosides and galactosides, and nitrilosides;

4. A destruction of the nutritive value of nucleoproteins in meats;

5. A marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.

CATEGORY III

BIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF EXPOSURE

Exposure to microwave emissions also had an unpredictably negative effect upon the general biological welfare of humans.

This was not discovered until the Russians experimented with highly sophisticated equipment and discovered that a human did not even need to ingest the material substance of the microwaved food substances: that even exposure to the energy-field itself was sufficient to cause such adverse side effects that the use of any such microwave apparatus was forbidden in 1976 by Soviet state law.

The following are the enumerated effects:

1. A breakdown of the human “life-energy field” in those who were exposed to microwave ovens while in operation, with side-effects to the human energy field of increasingly longer duration;

2. A degeneration of the cellular voltage parallels during the process of using the apparatus, especially in the blood and lymphatic areas;

3. A degeneration and destabilization of the external energy activated potentials of food utilization within the processes of human metabolism;

4. A degeneration and destabilization of internal cellular membrane potentials while transferring catabolic [metabolic breakdown] processes into the blood serum from the digestive process;

5. Degeneration and circuit breakdowns of electrical nerve impulses within the junction potentials of the cerebrum [the front portion of the brain where thought and higher functions reside];

6. A degeneration and breakdown of nerve electrical circuits and loss of energy field symmetry in the neuroplexuses [nerve centers] both in the front and the rear of the central and autonomic nervous systems;

7. Loss of balance and circuiting of the bioelectric strengths within the ascending reticular activating system [the system which controls the function of consciousness];

8. A long term cumulative loss of vital energies within humans, animals and plants that were located within a 500-meter radius of the operational equipment;

9. Long lasting residual effects of magnetic “deposits” were located throughout the nervous system and lymphatic system;

10. A destabilization and interruption in the production of hormones and maintenance of hormonal balance in males and females;

11. Markedly higher levels of brainwave disturbance in the alpha, theta, and delta wave signal patterns of persons exposed to microwave emission fields, and;

12. Because of this brainwave disturbance, negative psychological effects were noted, including loss of memory, loss of ability to concentrate, suppressed emotional threshold, deceleration of intellective processes, and interruptive sleep episodes in a statistically higher percentage of individuals subjected to continual range emissive field effects of microwave apparatus, either in cooking apparatus or in transmission stations.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
D Day wrote:

1. Microwavable plastic containers and saran wrap products alter their chemical compositions when in a microwave and release carcinogens into the microwave and food.

False.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp[/quote]

Actually that link proves the opposite. Just look at the official John Hopkins Q&A at the bottom of the page. The microwave has nothing to do with it, but heat does. Whenever you heat plastic, it’s chemicals get drawn into your food.

As far as microwaves in general, we simply don’t know. Like cellphones. But again, extensive use of the nuke is probably not a good thing. But as far as gym progress it shouldn’t matter so the OP has his priorities and good for him.

I’ll give you that.

[quote]redsox348984 wrote:
I think the food tastes pretty good in the microwave. I honestly have trouble telling the difference between if food is cooked in the microwave or some other method. [/quote]

Ever been to a sit down restaurant?